Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job Success Score

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Karolis K Member Since: Sep 5, 2015
91 of 106

So your solution would be making all feedback public? That is too biased. A lot of people would simply give 5 star to everyone for anything.

In my opinion all those public 5 star reviews are kind of meaningless. I never saw a profile with less than 4.5 star rating. And almost every day on this forum there is some post crying about a client leaving 4.7 starts. That's what public feedback degenerates to - grudges, whining and frustration.

Even if, like you say, that private feedback only gives a client the chance to rant - he has that right. And the feedback cannot be "untrue" - it simply represents the clients opinion about your services. He might have the wrong opinion, but the fact that he was not satisfied at the end is what matters.

Mainly replying for balance of opinion, so that someone from Upwork reading the forums can see that not all freelancers support abolishing private feedback.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Lisa W Member Since: Nov 14, 2015
92 of 106

@Karolis K wrote:

So your solution would be making all feedback public? That is too biased. A lot of people would simply give 5 star to everyone for anything.

Not necessarily, just that private feedback shouldn't have an effect on JSS. My biggest issue is that Upwork should use some caution when a client leaves 5 star feedback and then trashes a contracter in private. That provides a benefit for the client at the expense of the freelancer (when I'm applying for jobs I always look at a client's previous feedback. If they have a habit of leaving bad or no feedback, I don't bother applying.)

In my opinion all those public 5 star reviews are kind of meaningless. I never saw a profile with less than 4.5 star rating. And almost every day on this forum there is some post crying about a client leaving 4.7 starts. That's what public feedback degenerates to - grudges, whining and frustration.

That's a valid complaint, but I don't think hidden feedback is the answer to that. Even with the grumbling, the feedback is what it is. Everyone sees it, no one is forced to change it or hide it.

Even if, like you say, that private feedback only gives a client the chance to rant - he has that right. And the feedback cannot be "untrue" - it simply represents the clients opinion about your services. He might have the wrong opinion, but the fact that he was not satisfied at the end is what matters.

Of course the feedback can be untrue. If a client leaves perfect public feedback and horrible private feedback, then one of those has to be untrue. Clients have the right to rant in private feedback, and so do contractors, but that feedback shouldn't be counted against either, unless there is a long pattern of the behavior. Even in that instance, Upwork should be asking clients "If you were this dissatisfied, why did you leave perfect public feedback?" My main issue is when the discrepancy. Clients should be free to say whatever they want, but if they're clearly not being honest in either the public or private feedback, then it shouldn't count against the freelancer.

Mainly replying for balance of opinion, so that someone from Upwork reading the forums can see that not all freelancers support abolishing private feedback.

Highlighted
Elena K Member Since: Mar 22, 2016
93 of 106

Agree with every single word. But except this surprise with private feedback we shouldn't forget about clients who are too lazy and too busy to leave feedbacks even in the case when the project is finished sucessfully. So now I'm loosing my score points because my client is on vacations and can't find a minute to leave a feedback. In my feeling this is a little bit weird to count contract that was paid but without a feedback negatively in a job score, but this is what UpWork does usually. Why there is no any motivation or penalties to make the client to leave a feedback if it's so important? Reminders from my side means nothing for the client after the project is done.
All this goes wrong and UpWork forgets, if we get less job score, we will have less contracts and UpWork will get less income. For 10% from every single contract they should at least think how to revise this system.

Highlighted
Jennie W Member Since: Mar 22, 2016
94 of 106

@Kamen N wrote:

However, I got the nice surprise of a client who actually pointed out to me that my score now sits at 96% instead of 100%. What am I missing here? 

I am sorry, but in what context did he point that out? Did he imply that is good but it would be better if perfect? I am genuinely asking since I have no idea how relevant JSS is to clients. I had plenty of invitations even without yet having a JSS.

No, they are an ongoing client for me. They request projects from me regularly and he noticed it I guess when he went to offer another. 

He was under the assumption for me to have a 96% rating that it must have been because one of my projects went bad. He was curious and surprised to realize that even with completely satisfied customers you could be penalized. 

Highlighted
Sabrina S Member Since: Aug 9, 2015
95 of 106

Hi,

i have a doubt, does the contracts on hold, or not ended contracts count on job succes score? I have some clients that didn't end up contracts, for a while, and I don't know if it's best for me to cancel them, or the rating will decrease more?

Because I used to be a star rated freelancer, then it got to 88%, then 86% and now 84%, just for no reason. And my two last works were 5 stars rated, so I don't really understand how this rating goes?

thanks

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
96 of 106

Hi Sabrina,

I see you have a high number of inactive contracts on your account. If you have reached out to the clients and received no response in regards to their plans to proceed with these contracts or to your request to close them, you might want to consider ending these contracts yourself.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Ramon v Member Since: Oct 28, 2015
97 of 106

Hello Sabrina,

if your Contract has been inactive for a while (no idea how long it exactly is, but think several months) it will start to hurt your JSS. At the same time, if you close the Contract and you do not receive feedback from the Client, this will also hurt your JSS.

The best thing you can do in my opinion is ask the Clients to close the Contract (this will force them to leave feedback). If they're unresponsive, I'd just close the Contracts myself to keep them from further hurting your JSS. The fact that the Clients won't leave Feedback will hurt you as well, but afterwards the Contract is no lnger hurting you.

After completing a project I always ask Clients whether they still need my services. If this is not the case I ask them to close the Contract for me. They'll leave the feedback and (if it's positive) it won't hurt your JSS.

I have a question of my own:

I have 2 Contracts where the Client pays me once a month. The system probably thinks there's about 5 minutes of activity per month, since a Milestone is created and then immediately completed to pay the monthly fee. Could this be hurting my JSS?

After 3 highly positive feedbacks these last 2 weeks I only crawled up from 92% to 93%.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ashish K Member Since: Mar 1, 2016
98 of 106

@Ramon v wrote:

Hello Sabrina,

if your Contract has been inactive for a while (no idea how long it exactly is, but think several months) it will start to hurt your JSS. At the same time, if you close the Contract and you do not receive feedback from the Client, this will also hurt your JSS.

The best thing you can do in my opinion is ask the Clients to close the Contract (this will force them to leave feedback). If they're unresponsive, I'd just close the Contracts myself to keep them from further hurting your JSS. The fact that the Clients won't leave Feedback will hurt you as well, but afterwards the Contract is no lnger hurting you.

After completing a project I always ask Clients whether they still need my services. If this is not the case I ask them to close the Contract for me. They'll leave the feedback and (if it's positive) it won't hurt your JSS.

I have a question of my own:

I have 2 Contracts where the Client pays me once a month. The system probably thinks there's about 5 minutes of activity per month, since a Milestone is created and then immediately completed to pay the monthly fee. Could this be hurting my JSS?

After 3 highly positive feedbacks these last 2 weeks I only crawled up from 92% to 93%.

AFAIK, paused hourly contracts do not affect JSS. Only inactive fixed contracts (where money has not been exchanged for a particular duration) will affect JSS.

Ramon,

I do not think 1 month is long enough for the algorithm  to deem the contract inactive. However, the duration the algo considers is unknown.

I would suggest that you shift the contract to hourly (and add manual time at end of month) to remove any doubts. My info could be wrong, so please corroborate with others.

Regards,

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
99 of 106

Hi Ramon,

If you are getting paid on these contracts, they can only contribute towards your Job Success Score. I personally had a similar arrangement with one of my clients and it only had a positive impact on my Job Success Score.

Highlighted
Sabrina S Member Since: Aug 9, 2015
100 of 106

Thanks for the response. My contracts are on hold for a long time, more than a year for some. So I guess, I'll ask the clients to close them, and if not I'll do it myself. I kind of worried though, because there are a lot of contracts, so I hope this doesn't lower the Jss a lot.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS