Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job Success Score

Highlighted
Sabrina S Member Since: Aug 9, 2015
101 of 106

Hi all,

I have asked my clients for feedback and just two of them rated me, so I have closed 2 contracts. And now I have 82% JSS.

This is so unfair, and I have 8 more contracts open with no clients news. 

As as this goes, I don't know if I have to keep waiting, because as soon as I closed them I pass from 86 to 82!!!!!!!

This method is the worst!!! And there are many clients that ask for 90% score, and some even interview me and say that they were not to convince because of my score.

what can be done?

thanks,

best,

sabrina

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Tim S Member Since: Nov 13, 2015
102 of 106

@Sabrina S wrote:

Hi all,

I have asked my clients for feedback and just two of them rated me, so I have closed 2 contracts. And now I have 82% JSS.

This is so unfair, and I have 8 more contracts open with no clients news. 

As as this goes, I don't know if I have to keep waiting, because as soon as I closed them I pass from 86 to 82!!!!!!!

This method is the worst!!! And there are many clients that ask for 90% score, and some even interview me and say that they were not to convince because of my score.

what can be done?

thanks,

best,

sabrina

Sabrina,

Your issue is exactly the same as mine.  You leave the inactive contracts open - you get penalized.  You close them?  You get penalized more.  And then your score drops below 90% and you lose work.

Our best hope now is to wait 6 months, a year, or two years for these jobs to roll off.  The later the date you closed the job, the longer you have to wait.  

I'm looking forward to 2018 when I can get decent work again.  That is - if I don't accrue another no-feedback contract in the meantime.  

It is patently, absolutely ridiculous.

Highlighted
Jay-R R Member Since: Jul 29, 2015
103 of 106

I had a current 86% success rate and had a recent job ended with 4.60 score and earned $450.

My question is if there is a possibility that my success score will increase or possibly decrease??

Let me know your thoughts and it's really appreciated. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
104 of 106

Jay, it could drop a bit, but everything hangs on what your client says about you behind your back. Given his glowing public report, your rating might just stay the same.

Highlighted
Jay-R R Member Since: Jul 29, 2015
105 of 106

Oh I see. :-/

But hopefuly it will increase even 90% if possible? Will wait for the change 'till the end of this week.

Highlighted
Merritt W Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
106 of 106

Nichola, with all due respect, the "what your client says about you behind your back" is a complete cop-out on UpWorks part. It simply exacerbates an already ambiguous system.

I have spoken with all my clients, and trust their word. The feedback they stated publicly mirrors the "private feedback" that UpWork solicates. If there was a problem of some sort, it should be between the Client and the Freelancer to sort out, not a 3rd party who does not help the situation. 

I have worked 15 jobs with UpWork. I like flat-fee consulting work, and it can be short term or long term. The statistics are as follows:

5-STAR RATINGS w/GLOWING PUBLIC/PRIVATE FEEDBACK:

76% of Earnings

73% of Jobs

NO FEED BACK FROM CLIENTS:

24% of Earnings

27% of Jobs

EVERY one of the jobs were paid without dispute, and the jobs were performed above and beyond expectations in each case. I never leave a job without making certain that the Client is 110% happy with the results.

I have contacted the clients who did not leave feedback (4) through the UpWork platform. In each case there was not a reply. In one case, the Client had been "banned" from UpWork due to payment issues (on other jobs). In each of these 4 cases, I left honest public feedback for the clients, which was my responsibility. If the clients fail to leave feedback, despite reminders (through the traceable UpWork system), how could that possibly be the Freelancer's responsibility.

The evidence, history and precedence is clear - I deliver exemplary results to my clients, and all of them will back that up - anytime.

Why is it then that my JSS now stands at 79%? Because I have tried to clarify the murcky JSS system? 

The JSS system is not a reflection of Job Success - obviously. Under US labor law, I am certain such a system would be deemed illegal under existing statues - and there would be good reason for it too. The system does not help either the client or freelancer to better collaborate and produce desired results. 

If UpWork wants to assign a certain percentage of importance to how well a Freelancer or Client works within the UpWork system, then fine - but make it transparent and guide both parties on how to maintain the highest rating possible. 

To call it a "Job Success Score" is mis-leading at best, and disingenuous/dishonest at worst. Hidden criterias or intentions have no right being in the workplace.

Jay, I wish you luck trying to get answers.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS