cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job Success Score

Highlighted
Akshata C Member Since: Apr 21, 2015
11 of 106

If there are 30 odd applicants, how would a client differentiate between freelancers..? It is JSS.. That is where Upwork has messed up.. to increase the rating by 1% , a freelancer has to constantly deliver high quality work and one poor feedback from a client can drop it by 8-10%.

The rating system should be scrapped at the earliest. The feedback score which is the weighted average score across the projects should be good enough. There is no point complicating it by adding so many parameters that even Upwork cant quantify.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Tim S Member Since: Nov 13, 2015
12 of 106

Yes - clients do notice when an above 90 score drops below 90.  Many clients specify that they are only looking for 'top freelancers' i.e. applicants with a score of 90 or above.  I used to receive job offers weekly - unsolicited.  My score dropped below 90, and nothing.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
13 of 106

Additionally - clients here - why would they not trust the freelancer stats provided to them?  If I were to hire through a platform, I would consider a freelancers statistics as useful and pertinent information when deciding on a candidate.

Highlighted
Merritt W Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
14 of 106

I agree wholeheartedly - the JSS system is a convoluted mess.

And now they want to charge us 20% for an obviously flawed system?

Without Freelancers UpWork would be in the toilet - I believe it's time for a competitor who treats its data fairly and properly.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
15 of 106

Similarly - I closed some 4 contracts that had completed - but had lain open, (some for years), after reading that the job success score can be impacted by open contracts with no activity.

Upon closing the contracts, my score went from the 95-100 range to about 73.   Of course I can't get in contact with the clients - which is exactly why the contracts stood open for so long, so no feedback is possible.

Long discussion with customer support has yielded mostly confused, conflicting statements, and finally, no help.

Highlighted
Mohamed M Member Since: Dec 27, 2015
16 of 106

Hi there,

Sorry but i'm really disapointed with this job success rate. it's doesn't reflecte any thing. it just makes absolute disorder. Smiley Sad 

Best Regards,

Mohamed

Highlighted
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
17 of 106

It reflects how successful your jobs are, and although we don't know the exact formula, it's pretty clear that happy customers count as a success, unhappy customers don't. As the last feedback you received was less than perfect, and the client gives the impression they feel they may have been charged more than they expected... it's pretty fair to say that it wasn't a 100% success. 

As a result, I'm assuming your JSS is lower than it used to be. The main factor in that assumption is that I've never come across anyone complaining about the JSS if their score has gone up or stayed the same. 

I'm not entirely sure where the confusion lies? 

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
Highlighted
Community Guru
Jessica S Member Since: Dec 4, 2015
18 of 106

@Scott ..who has never come across a person complaining if the score stayed the same or went up...

mine went up 1% and I am complaining. It is the worst thing I have ever seen as the most critical factor in getting hired. Mine dropped 8% 2 weeks ago because someone closed an hourly contract with no work or pay to switch it to a fixed rate which I completed successfully.... And an 8/10 private feedback.(oh how terrible!!!)   In the past 2 weeks I closed 3 contracts with extremely happy clients... My recommendation percentage went up 5% and I have less than 20 feedbacks on my profile. Yet Upwork rewards me with one measly percent but was clearly super happy to deduct 8% 2 weeks ago for nothing. 

I absolutely can't stand it and can't see why any good freelancer would stick around this site. It truly is worse than working in a physical office. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
19 of 106

Life is too short to hate where you work. If you hate it, time to pack your stuff, say "Peace Out" and move on. This is why I never have a real job for longer than 6 months. As soon as the bs starts, I'm out.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
20 of 106

I'm with you, Jennifer.  22+ years of herding lawyers, after 5 other distinctly different careers, made me realize that I am much better working for myself!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS