Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job Success Score

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
31 of 106

Hi Danielle,

I see one of your clients ended your contract recently and initiated a repeat job. Please note that your client doesn't need to repeat this process again, since you'll get your Job Success Score after completing four contracts with at least three different clients. 

Your performance on your ongoing jobs is being accounted for in your Work History and will be included in your Job Success Score calculation. As proof, it doesn't look like your proposals are being overlooked (can't be hidden) since you've had a great start on Upwork, seeing the number of jobs you've managed to win in just one month after creating your account.

Keep on delivering great work like you've done so far and you'll get the Job Success Score on your profile in no time.

Highlighted
Danielle S Member Since: Jan 21, 2016
32 of 106

So now I'm really confused.  I was informed I wouldn't get a JSS until I completed 4 jobs.  However, I completed three and now have one.  What's even more confusing is that I've received 5-star feedback from every client and still manage to only have a JSS of 90%.  Why is that?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Sandra T Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
33 of 106

Private feedback, most likely. When closing a contract, clients are asked how they would recommend you on a scale of 1-10. So if they give you let's say a 7 (still good, but not perfect) that leads to an imperfect (= <100%) overall score.

These ratings have more of an impact the fewer contracts you've worked on so far. Make sure to screen clients carefully and only take on work you're 100% sure about.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
34 of 106

Hi Danielle,

Please, note that contracts that were accepted and then closed without any money paid are also included in the Job Success Score calculation even though they don't show on freelancer's public profile.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Tim S Member Since: Nov 13, 2015
35 of 106

@Scott E wrote:

It reflects how successful your jobs are, and although we don't know the exact formula, it's pretty clear that happy customers count as a success, unhappy customers don't. As the last feedback you received was less than perfect, and the client gives the impression they feel they may have been charged more than they expected... it's pretty fair to say that it wasn't a 100% success. 

As a result, I'm assuming your JSS is lower than it used to be. The main factor in that assumption is that I've never come across anyone complaining about the JSS if their score has gone up or stayed the same. 

I'm not entirely sure where the confusion lies? 

Scott E, of course no one complains about the jss if their score remains the same or increases.  That doesn't give any less weight to those who speak up when their score drops.

In addition - a job can go perfectly and the client can simply not leave feedback - this has a huge affect on the JSS, and bears little reflection on a freelancer's actual performance.

And in addition to that - closed jobs without pay (say you realize you're in over your head and refund the client) ALSO provide a large negative affect to the score.

Highlighted
Gursharan G Member Since: Oct 27, 2015
36 of 106

Hi

Don't be disappointed with the secrecy. It probably doesn't matter much if you are getting jobs reguarly and keep doing your job as you always were.

I have been with odesk since 2009 and think everytime it has chnaged, good hard working people have always been rewarded well. As for freelancers, I think over the years, many freelancers have moved into well established jobs of their own making. They made their profiles work. I did the same.

I come back to Upwork after a long interval and saw this JSS thing. Applied to a few jobs and within 60-70 days, I saw the badge on the profile. Did nothing new here. Same old routine ever since.

Don't decipher the JSS algorithm. Just keep getting jobs and accomplishing them successfully.

Best of luck.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Krisztina M Member Since: Jul 8, 2015
37 of 106

As a Client, Upwork advises me not to hire Contractors with less than a 90% JSS. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
38 of 106

That's not very nice of them. I appreciate JSS is indicative of performance over time, to a certain extent... I mean you'd probably be unwise to hire anybody with a 10% JSS after 100 jobs... but what about the mavericks, the dream-weavers, the cads and the gadabouts? Shakespeare, Oliver Reed, Picasso, Elvis, Oscar Wilde, Hunter S. Thompson, Hemingway, Cobain, Churchill, Michael Barrymore... would they get full marks for timeliness, communication and sobriety? Probably not. 

Implement the JSS, display the JSS, but don't discriminate based on a ranking of your making. 

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
39 of 106

@Krisztina M wrote:

As a Client, Upwork advises me not to hire Contractors with less than a 90% JSS. 

Where exactly do they say this? I have NEVER heard anything like this. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
40 of 106

@Jean S wrote:

@Krisztina M wrote:

Where exactly do they say this? I have NEVER heard anything like this. 

Nor have I.

In fact when I posted my last posted a job several of the recommended freelancers, including the top one, had a JSS of less than 90%

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS