Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job Success Score

Highlighted
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
41 of 106

@Krisztina M wrote:

As a Client, Upwork advises me not to hire Contractors with less than a 90% JSS. 

That is funny cause they keep sending me recommended freelancers with no JSS so that doesn't make much sense. Upwork told you not to or  Recuiter or Support told you that? 

Highlighted
Manjur R Member Since: Apr 18, 2015
42 of 106

I had a long chat with upwork support regarding this,basically those two open contracts and a few other paused jobs(paused by upwork ,proabably client's profile got suspended) are causing this . No matter what i do now(taking more jobs ,getting perfect feedback) thats not gonna help me as my score will continue to keep down until i take care of those open contracts .

But i did already contact with those clients before , and i have done it now again .

So far none of them got back to me ,they probably have left upwork .

Either way ,i am screwed ,if i close down those jobs on my own my score is going to go down even further .If i dont my score will continue to decrease ,slowly but surely.

I have no idea what to do by this point

Highlighted
Ed T Member Since: Dec 22, 2015
43 of 106

That sucks. Anything that is intended to measure how well a freelancer fulfills contracts should not be dependent on the client doing anything, like leaving feedback. Sure feedback is good, so show it. But a negligent client shouldn't drag you down. There should be a way for us to close a contract and then upwork sends the client a notice and, unless the client actually objects, it is considered a "good" job. If someone comes on and posts a job, and that's all the work they have for us, whoever does it is going to get screwed because the client won't hang around to post feedback or do the bits and pieces necessary to make us look good. Why should they? They paid the money and got what they asked for and for them it IS a done deal.

Highlighted
Maribeth M Member Since: Jun 5, 2015
44 of 106

Hi.

I just want to understand how JS works.  Since my JS dropped to 94% this week and the only movement in my profile is a contract that ended, it lasted for 2 weeks only (since it was for a training that the client agreed to pay for) AND  5 new contracts (4 of that is for 1 client only since for each job/client, he gives me a contract) a

I inquired why my JS dropped from 100% to 94% and these are the "probable" reasons (not sure!):

1) Client's "private" feedback has an impact.

> So my point is, "private" feedbacks are killing your good freelancers. As all of us wants to get better and       perfection is what we aim, so all client feedback should be known to the freelancers. It will be a really big help        to know our weaknesses & in what area we should improve. For how can you improve your weakness, if you           are unaware of it? So in a way, Upwork is not helping us freelancers to get better or improve Smiley Sad

> Something is seriously wrong with a client who gives a superb public feedback or 5 star and then gives a         poor private feedback? I would like to think that client will leave a poor "private" feedback so you cannot get           new jobs and so you can focus on his account?  Possible!  Smiley Happy

2) Idle contracts will lower your JS

> this is not fair.  Since there are jobs that will not require a weekly or monthly task.  Like I do bookkeeping &                 accounting, I have a client who will require quarterly update of their books only which means the contract is              idle for 3 months.  There are clients also that are too busy in a week or months which leaves you nothing to             do until they can provide me what I need.

So how can you count against freelancers idle these contracts?

It is so unfair!  Yes although 94% is still a good JS, but it is not fair for me to be deducted with 6% for something that they cannot really explain how it was computed.  It is not a real assessment of my job performance.

For me it looks like there are 6% of jobs or contract I have were incomplete or unsuccessful.

The idea of the Job success is very good, but how it is computed I am not sure.  They have to do a carefull evaluation of this issue first before this is implemented.

Sincerely,

Maribeth

Highlighted
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
45 of 106

It's been around a long time now; whatever evaluation they want to do on it has been done; and it's not going away. I agree with all your points, and empathise with you; but they've all been made a million times before, and aren't really going to change anything.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Krisztina M Member Since: Jul 8, 2015
46 of 106

@Stephen B wrote:

It's been around a long time now; whatever evaluation they want to do on it has been done; and it's not going away. I agree with all your points, and empathise with you; but they've all been made a million times before, and aren't really going to change anything.

Unless they start losing Freelancers.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
47 of 106

re: "Unless they start losing Freelancers."

I don't think you understand.

Upwork actively desires to lose freelancers.

Upwork management realizes that they have a large body of freelancers who do not contribute positively to their revenue. These are freelancers whose job proposals seem like spam and whose job performance causes clients to complain and turn to other sources for work.

One of the goals of the Job Success Score is to discourage clients from working with bad freelancers, and to encourage bad freelancers to leave.

Upwork makes money from having large numbers of paying clients. It does not make money from having large numbers of freelancers in a general sense.

It makes money from having quality contractors. But many it has now are not.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
48 of 106

Sometimes, I think that closing a failed contract yourself would be the better move. Mark it as successful before the client has a chance to ding you. They can still give you bad feedback I suppose, but maybe cut them off at the pass and hope that they just don't want to bother.

My $75 unhappy customer just paid me and closed. I'm preparing myself for the JSS hit.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Krisztina M Member Since: Jul 8, 2015
49 of 106

The JS score is total **edited for Community Guidelines**.  Mine just went down 1% again...because I got more jobs and more good feedback. Well done Upwork, well done!

Do you even want to get into the Messaging interface? My clients now message me on the Freelancer side AND the Client side. I have to go digging through to see what message is where  and where any potential attachments may be. Where is the Workroom for the project???? 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
50 of 106

@Krisztina M wrote:

The JS score is total **edited for Community Guidelines**.  Mine just went down 1% again...because I got more jobs and more good feedback. Well done Upwork, well done!

Do you even want to get into the Messaging interface? My clients now message me on the Freelancer side AND the Client side. I have to go digging through to see what message is where  and where any potential attachments may be. Where is the Workroom for the project???? 

You went down it looks because you had another No Feedback.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS