Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job Success Score

Highlighted
Community Guru
Signe J Member Since: Jan 29, 2016
81 of 106

Untitled.jpgAnd...there goes another 2%, I'm sure -- from a client who wants to rehire me and is happy with the finished products. To add insult to injury, I had bid higher on this job but the client couldn't afford my rate, so I discounted because the materials she provided were so complete that there would be less time spent information-gathering on my end.  In a private communication, she said that both resume and cover letter "far exceeded" her expectations. So I get four stars for doing a fantastic job, and my job success score will take a hit because I did a fantastic job.

In this case, I realize it's the client who is at fault and not the system, but again -- UGH! 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ashish K Member Since: Mar 1, 2016
82 of 106

Perfect algorithms dont exist. As long as the system is the same for all, best to try to fit in. And continually suggest well thought out improvements to the staff..

Highlighted
Jennie W Member Since: Mar 22, 2016
83 of 106

Maybe someone can help me better understand my Job Success score. I work my butt off and ensuring I am following everything it says to follow. I have a 5-star rating for every project, 100% recommendation score, and I have responded to every message or invitation within a 24hr period. 

However, I got the nice surprise of a client who actually pointed out to me that my score now sits at 96% instead of 100%. What am I missing here? 

Seems to me like Upwork is working hard against freelancers or is this a bug? I contacted both the live chat and via the phone, but I received no real answer except that it takes into consideration things like response time. I know this and that is why I have worked so hard to ensure I always do respond within 24hrs. 

Any suggestions? I know 96% isn't bad, but when you work hard and follow everything they say then it is rather discouraging to feel a 4% penalty for nothing. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
84 of 106

Clients can submit feedback that you don't see.  Even if you get 5-stars, you can be docked based on private feedback.  People have argued against this forever.

Highlighted
Kamen N Member Since: Sep 9, 2015
85 of 106

@Scott B wrote:

Clients can submit feedback that you don't see.  Even if you get 5-stars, you can be docked based on private feedback.  People have argued against this forever.

And rightly so.

Highlighted
Kamen N Member Since: Sep 9, 2015
86 of 106

However, I got the nice surprise of a client who actually pointed out to me that my score now sits at 96% instead of 100%. What am I missing here? 

I am sorry, but in what context did he point that out? Did he imply that is good but it would be better if perfect? I am genuinely asking since I have no idea how relevant JSS is to clients. I had plenty of invitations even without yet having a JSS.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Marianne M Member Since: Mar 22, 2016
87 of 106

Hi, I'm new here and find Upwork kind of hard to navigate. However, I wanted to say I Do Not think it is right that clients can give private "feedback" on your work and you have no way to counter-act it.

I've have all 5 star ratings, great feedback and have made around $60K in the last four years (when it was Elance) and I just got let into this club. My rating was 88% and I didn't know why. I had no idea that responding to an invite was a mandatory 24hour thing. Sometimes I get invites from other countries and have no idea that they sent me an invite at 8pm my time; and I didn't see it until the next afternoon because I was finishing up a job I was currently working on.

I find it confusing the way things are working here at Upwork. Well, maybe they'll improve all this (shrug)

But I must say "Private Client Feedback" is not fair - so far this year I've responded to 3 jobs that were all fake (the "interview on Yahoo, we'll send you a check and you buy software/printers from my vendor, types"). We should get a higher rating just for reporting these creeps.

And if we don't reply in a timly fashion to these "fake offers" then we get lower marks too. I think it should be based on viewable comments and the 5 star ratings and that's all.

Good Luck, and I'd keep asking and calling - 100% = your living and someone should help you out without telling you to read 7000 word articles that why, without really saying anything.

Sorry to be so wordy..., it's been an issue of mine for a while now too.

Best,

Mari~~

“Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.”
Highlighted
Jennie W Member Since: Mar 22, 2016
88 of 106

@Marianne M wrote:

Hi, I'm new here and find Upwork kind of hard to navigate. However, I wanted to say I Do Not think it is right that clients can give private "feedback" on your work and you have no way to counter-act it.

I've have all 5 star ratings, great feedback and have made around $60K in the last four years (when it was Elance) and I just got let into this club. My rating was 88% and I didn't know why. I had no idea that responding to an invite was a mandatory 24hour thing. Sometimes I get invites from other countries and have no idea that they sent me an invite at 8pm my time; and I didn't see it until the next afternoon because I was finishing up a job I was currently working on.

I find it confusing the way things are working here at Upwork. Well, maybe they'll improve all this (shrug)

But I must say "Private Client Feedback" is not fair - so far this year I've responded to 3 jobs that were all fake (the "interview on Yahoo, we'll send you a check and you buy software/printers from my vendor, types"). We should get a higher rating just for reporting these creeps.

And if we don't reply in a timly fashion to these "fake offers" then we get lower marks too. I think it should be based on viewable comments and the 5 star ratings and that's all.

Good Luck, and I'd keep asking and calling - 100% = your living and someone should help you out without telling you to read 7000 word articles that why, without really saying anything.

Sorry to be so wordy..., it's been an issue of mine for a while now too.

Best,

Mari~~

I completely agree! It is dirty to have private feedback. I mean feedback is supposed to be an honest opinion and rating. It is also something to guide us in how we can make improvements to better serve our clients. You can't do that with private feedback. 

What I also feel is a bit hypocritical is that they expect us to respond to every single request within 24 hours when they themselves and their support don't even do that. 

I have received tons of the fake spam requests. If they are going to hold us to a high standard, then fine. They just better hold themselves to standards that don't set us up for a losing battle. 

It would make more sense to grade us on promises Upwork makes for us, but to grade us on how well we keep OUR promises. If we claim to always respond in 24 hours, then yes grade us on it. 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Karolis K Member Since: Sep 5, 2015
89 of 106

I have to disagree with the bit about private feedback.

Think about the situation when you are the client. Like going to get a haircut. You get a haircut and you are not satisfied with the results - should you be able to give private feedback? Of course. Most of the time it's the most honest form of feedback.

The purpose of the private feedback is not in telling you how to improve. The purpose is to rate you for other clients. Continuing the example with the hairstyles - the purpose of the feedback you leave for your hairdresser is to inform others about the quality of her services. The hairdresser can read that feedback somewhere if she finds it and try to improve. But the point is that at some earlier time she had a disatisfied customer and that is visible in her ratings (like JSS here on Upwrok).

The thing to understand here is that on upwork - you are the hair dresser and the client is, well, your client. He is not your employer and his feedback is not directed at your improvement. The purpose of feedback is to rate your services for other potential clients.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Lisa W Member Since: Nov 14, 2015
90 of 106

@Karolis K wrote:

I have to disagree with the bit about private feedback.

Think about the situation when you are the client. Like going to get a haircut. You get a haircut and you are not satisfied with the results - should you be able to give private feedback? Of course. Most of the time it's the most honest form of feedback.

The purpose of the private feedback is not in telling you how to improve. The purpose is to rate you for other clients. Continuing the example with the hairstyles - the purpose of the feedback you leave for your hairdresser is to inform others about the quality of her services. The hairdresser can read that feedback somewhere if she finds it and try to improve. But the point is that at some earlier time she had a disatisfied customer and that is visible in her ratings (like JSS here on Upwrok).

The thing to understand here is that on upwork - you are the hair dresser and the client is, well, your client. He is not your employer and his feedback is not directed at your improvement. The purpose of feedback is to rate your services for other potential clients.

The issue with private feedback is that it allows the client to be nice to your face (via 5-star feedback) and vindictive behind your back. The difference between what Upwork does here and your example is that the feedback eventually gets passed on to the hairdresser. People leave anonymous comments on Yelp, etc. and the hairdresser has every option to read them and improve.

The only thing hidden feedback does is give the client a chance to rant and hurt a freelancer's JSS. It doesn't have to be helpful, it doesn't even have to be true, and yet Upwork lets it determine a contractor's score. It would be like the hairdresser's boss reading a Yelp review and believing it completely, even though there is no evidence it was true, and then using that belief to harm a hairdresser's employment opportunities.

The reason freelancers are often frustrated by a dropping JSS is because nothing in the public feedback reflects any dissatisfaction with a job. If we're meant to increase our performance, but we don't know why people are upset, what purpose does the review actually serve?

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS