Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job Success Score

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Sue B Member Since: Aug 26, 2016
11 of 19

Ok so I don't understant...Petra said above that an inactive account will count against me...your saying your not able to share how this will affect me.  Why are you not able to share this information?  Is it not possible or is it against Upwork policy to share this info?

We are planning to start back up ...but since I don't totally understand how this works I will just have my contracts ended and restarted.  It doesn't make sense to me.  

Sorry not trying to be difficult...but I just don't understand.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
12 of 19

Sue: Upwork and Forum participants freely share information about what things help or hinder your Job Success score.

But nobody is going to provide you the actual algorithms, formulas or source code.

Honestly, the forum moderators and customer support representatives don't even have that information themselves.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
13 of 19

So what is the point in having a JSS if it can't be explained?  I'm not asking for the the actual algorithms, formulas or source codes...(I don't even know what those are) lol...I'm just asking about inactive accounts.

So it appears the JSS really doesn't mean anything if parts of it can't be explained...too bad the clients don't realize this.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
14 of 19

Sue,

We won't be able to share how long it takes for an inactive contract to start affecting your JSS negatively to protect the integrity of the score. If you periodically work and receive payments on a contract, you can keep it open. If you don't expect to do any more work on a contract, you can have it closed.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
15 of 19

Hi Valeria...am I missing something?   You mentioned to leave it open if I do periodic work for this client...which I do...but my score will go down when it's inactive as mentioned above.  So it seems to me I should have this account closed and reopend...is that correct?

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
16 of 19

Sue,

There is no need to close your account, you can only have one freelancer account on Upwork and won't be able to open another one.

As for the contract you are referring to, it's up to you whether you have it closed or keep it open. If you do occasional work on this contract, it will not affect your JSS negative. Only contracts that stay inactive for many months and are never used for work and payment can decrease JSS.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
17 of 19

Thanks Valeria...I think I know what I need to do now.

Highlighted
Christine M Member Since: Apr 25, 2017
18 of 19

JSS is really silly; mine got wrecked because I closed out a couple of contracts that had been inactive for months. Unresponsive clients, after several attempts to reach out, so i didn't want them sitting in my job queue anymore. Little did I know that was going to drop my JSS score from the 90s to 70%. That's absurd. There's no warning that it's going to happen before you take that action, and honestly, it shouldnt affect it at all. The truly need to fix their algorithm because clients rely on that number so much, but no one understands how it works, to properly keep it high!

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
19 of 19

Thank you Christine...so now I'm not sure what to do with this account...seems no matter what I do my score is going to drop because of this...how fair is that!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS