Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Job Success - question & answer

Highlighted
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
51 of 56

I had promised any added explanation that I "figured out" or an approximation once more information was posted officially. I had decided to post in their official thread, but parts of it are already broken anyhow; plus this is the part of the forum that I am loyal to.

So here is a link for anyone interested in playing around for a bit. Posting pictures are also broken and too much spam posting, so I will update and explain later. I managed to reproduce "simple" accounts JS score results with these approximations.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Highlighted
Community Guru
52 of 56

JS

Bumping this thread since it was posted in all the confusion early this morning. Here is the link to the data for attached file, and some interesting info/ideas on the JS score calculation.

Google doc Link.

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
53 of 56

Jeff Chen wrote in his blog article https://www.upwork.com/blog/2015/06/job-success-score-upwork/, "Job Success scores have proven successful at helping great freelancers stand out to clients and land more projects, with twice the number of contracts going to the best freelancers in the marketplace than before."

While doubling the number of contracts is impressive, I wonder how much of this increase is the result of suspending freelancers with JS below 70%?

John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
54 of 56

Setu wrote earlier, "I will add another view (and this is my view not Upwork's). I believe one of the main concerns of Upwork is disintermediation, as it literally could make them go bankrupt."

Disintermediation (also know as circumvention?), is likely a reason for the negative impact of inactive, open contracts on JS. If that actually were the case, and a client and freelancer were in cahoots to deprive Upwork of fees, surely they would close the contract in order to throw off Upwork suspicion. In reality, I think inactive open contracts are largely due to client choice or neglect and should not be regarded with suspicion or have negative effect on JS..

55 of 56

@ Jonh,

You have to look at the entire paragraph, not just the first lines.

@Setu M wrote:
The "no work performed" option seems like a good idea. After-all it is fair that if no work was performed then no feedback can be given. So both of you are right on those points.

I will add another view (and this is my view not Upwork's). I believe one of the main concerns of Upwork is disintermediation, as it literally could make them go bankrupt. So many of the policies here are strictest to prevent this from occurring. Now I can easily see many clients and freelancers agreeing to select the "no work was performed" option and settle outside of the platform. Because now it would be easier to maneuver around the system.

I was not referring to inactive contracts, but the opinion that contracts which no work was done should be allowed different treatment (options) when being closed since it could just be that the project needed to be cancelled.

I was saying that this could open avenues of abuse where clients find freelancers using the platform then just agree to close the contract and conduct business outside. Upwork would lose revenue, so creating a penalty for $0 contracts or "no work done" contracts, may have been to prevent this abuse.

Highlighted
Community Guru
56 of 56

@John K wrote:

While doubling the number of contracts is impressive, I wonder how much of this increase is the result of suspending freelancers with JS below 70%?

Undoubtedly, suspension of many contractors influence this 2x increase in opportunities to the top rated freelancers. The invitations system, re-arranging of job applicants list provided to the client, hiding some applications, and suggesting some applicants (best fit) are other ways this is being achieved.

I think these are unfair practices.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS