Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job Success - question & answer

Highlighted
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
21 of 56

@Aleksandra K wrote:

What about non-paying clients?Why are they entitled to leave a feedback?

Aleksandra,

There are several instances that need to be looked at. I took a client on which was suppose to be doing product reviews. It turned out they wanted me to review a product on Amazon which is really deceptive as far as I am concerned and against Amazon's policies, but the client is still on Upwork, I did not get public feedback as no money was exchanged and I never worked for them, but they gave private feedback. 

Setu,

I understand that the system is open to abuse as it was done with the star rating, but there are circumstances that no matter how many questions you ask or how clear you are about situations that you decide to discontinue the job before it starts such as the one I mention about.

I have an issue with private feedback weighing heavier then other factors. As mentioned in my thread that a client could give great public feedback and to be spiteful give negative private feedback. I understand why Upwork is using the system, but there is no flexibility or dispute system in place and there are situations that the JS and private feedback really  need some kind of arbitration or system in place to look at all sides to it.

Krisztina's point on jobs never done should not be penalized or should be very minute if they are used as part of the scoring system.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
22 of 56

What I don't like is being punished because a client doesn't pay. If you start a dispute to try and get your money you will take a serious hit on your JS score. We do the work, deserve good feedback and get punished because the client is a flake and doesn't pay. Really not fair.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
23 of 56
And I agree with all your points. I too was a victim of an Amazon review scheme when I just started here, and suffered for it after I told the client that it was against my beliefs.

However there is no 'one pill fixes all' solution here. My personal opinion is that the connects system fixed alot of the problems, and there was no need for JS score. But I will not ask for it to be abandoned because I am wise to the flip side of that.

Do you think Upwork will really abandon this metric, no. Removing it from your profile will only be worse, since I am sure it will still be used in selecting candidates for jobs, invitation, ordering in job application, hiding application, not sending applications etc. So I would rather know where I stand than be in a worse off position.
---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Highlighted
Community Guru
24 of 56
Just to add to that point. I assume everyone realizes that oDesk at the time was collecting all of this data all along. This is why the time span for JS goes so far back. What do you think was being done with this data.

The only difference now, is that we are no longer ignorant about what this data was being used for. So it has been affecting you all along, you just did not know. I would rather not go back to being ignorant.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Aleksandra K Member Since: Mar 31, 2015
25 of 56

The JS is not the problem. The problem is the way it is calculated. Certain things must be omitted, as they make no sense. If a client posts one thing in the description and asks for another after hiring you they should not be given the possibility of leaving any feedback. If the job was disputed and it was resolved in favor of the freelancer, the client shouldn’t be allowed to leave private feedback. Of course they would say you were lousy (lousy for asking money for a job you DID). This will encourage clients to scam freelancers because either way the freelancer is being punished. If we are punished for things which we can’t control than what is the point of trying?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
26 of 56

Unfortunately, Aleksandra until Upwork stops treating freelancers as a sub-species, there will be no gainsaying lousy clients.  

As you say, 'what is the point?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
27 of 56

@Nichola L wrote:

Unfortunately, Aleksandra until Upwork stops treating freelancers as a sub-species, there will be no gainsaying lousy clients.  

As you say, 'what is the point?

That was my point. I don't want the JS to go. I just want a calculation that fair to both parties and does not punish me for something I had no control over.

Highlighted
Community Guru
28 of 56

Good luck with that.

Garnor wrote

"Job Success is an important metric to track and we're glad there's increased focus on it. However, this measurement is ultimately based on success in completing your jobs and on delivering good experiences for your clients. Focus on this (doing great work for your clients) and this metric will move (or remain) in a great place."

So no changes coming anytime soon.

Highlighted
Community Guru
29 of 56
So I am bumping this thread because we were promised some updates to the information provided on JS score.

Our Community Manager indicated that this was forthcoming and recently asked for "a week or so."

Just keeping the thread relevant, as we expect some long awaited information this week.
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Cesar G Member Since: Feb 11, 2015
30 of 56

An indirect indicator related to this thread would be the client who got suspended/account closed by maintaining a low JS, isn't it?

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS