Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job Success

radu_ie
Radu C Member Since: Dec 3, 2014
11 of 16

Tony - thanks for the reply.

In my opinion, the system is not logical and useful at all ! If someone posts job X on the board and I charge 20USD / hour compared to freelancer Y who charges just 5 USD / hour but he has a higher JS than me because of reasons that nobody can explain, then at the end of the day I'm losing money, UpWork is losing money and maybe the client will get his/her job done worth of those 5 usd / hour.

Just doesnt make any sense, and atleast I'm glad I'm not the only one with this opinion.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
12 of 16

Radu,

You have clearly stated your opposition to the Job Score system.

What do you suggest as an alternative?

radu_ie
Radu C Member Since: Dec 3, 2014
13 of 16

Preston,

In my opinion, if I was to hire someone on the platform, having a look at his overall score (4.78 out of 5 for example), having a look at the amount of projects / hours he worked and having a look at his feedback would be more than enough.

Let's face it, in theory, if I really wanna artificially boost my JS (and I'm taking a wild guess here) I can always talk to 3 clients of mine, ask them to each add 5 jobs at 20 USD so that would mean they would have to pay 3 X 5 X 20 = 300 USD and get 15 project positive feedback . In return, I would have to pay 300 USD to them (but i'm getting 270, so basicly I'm loosing 30 USD for 15 positive feedbacks)

I think, atleast at this time, the JS is doing more harm than good.

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
14 of 16

Hi Radu,

To familiarize yourself with this important performance measuring tool and get an insight into the way Job Success score is calculated, please have a look at this blog post and refer to this Help article.

Untitled
mark8979
Community Leader
Mark C Member Since: Aug 8, 2015
15 of 16

I'm sorry, but I don't understand how this can be an 'important performance measuring tool' when nobody outside the select few actually knows how it works.

I have read that the formula won't be made public because that would leave it open to abuse.

If this measurement is so important it should be formulated in such a way that it cannot be abused.

Secondly, whatever it takes to 'abuse' the score, it is probably being done currently, albeit unknowingly. Some people will be gaining and others will be losing - through no fault of their own, which means that this 'important performance measuring tool' is inaccurate and unfair. 

People for whom this is their only source of income are losing money because of this 'tool'.

For it to be an important tool it needs to be both accurate and have the confidence of the people who it affects.

I think that going by the disgruntled comments on various threads that many are of a similar mind to me.

testsandeep
Community Leader
Sandeep C Member Since: Oct 24, 2013
16 of 16

Great insights!!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS