cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Job Taken Down

Sarah B Member Since: Jul 6, 2017
1 of 6

I was contacted about a job  for Data Entry. After I had emailed with the client and I went onto Upwork website the job had been removed because of payment not being verified. Does this mean this opportunity is a scam? Why would a post be taken down? 

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
2 of 6

Hi Sarah, 

The job post was taken down because the team found out that the client was operating a scam. 

I would just like to clarify that not having a verified payment method does not mean that the job is a scam. Sometimes it could be that the client needs to hire someone or post a job already already while their payment method is going through the verification process. 

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
Mason Mimi Y Member Since: Aug 26, 2019
3 of 6

Hi, this same thing has just happened to me, but it got to the point of me being asked to work this open position by them and them stating they would send me a contract today before the job post was taken down by Upwork. Does this for sure mean it is a scam and I should stop contact with this employer? I asked the person who interviewed me through Gmail chat why their post was taken down and they said because it is short-term work, but if my payments cannot be sent and verified through Upwork that makes me very nervous.

Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
4 of 6

Mason Mimi Y wrote:

Hi, this same thing has just happened to me, but it got to the point of me being asked to work this open position by them and them stating they would send me a contract today before the job post was taken down by Upwork. Does this for sure mean it is a scam and I should stop contact with this employer? I asked the person who interviewed me through Gmail chat why their post was taken down and they said because it is short-term work, but if my payments cannot be sent and verified through Upwork that makes me very nervous.

Jobs on this site are NOT taken down because the job is short term work. Jobs can be posted here that last just one time for 15 minutes. This is a scam to get free work with them disappearing after they get it, or they will send you a check which is more then what you would be paid for and then they will ask you to send the overpayment back to them. The check will then turn out to be bad and you would lose the money sent. 

ALL contracts/hiring MUST be made through this site which you can accept the contract or decline it. And ALL payment and /or financial transactions MUST go through this site. 

If the clients job was taken down then thaqt means something was wrong with it, It violated the TOS in some way. Could be as simple as the client needs to update their credit card, or as bad as the client is a scammer. And by what was told to you, I'll bet it was a scammer. Do Not continue to have any type of communication with the client. Move on and look for other jobs. And please search this discussion section on scams to educate yourself on the scams that go on here before you submit anymore proposals.

Mason Mimi Y Member Since: Aug 26, 2019
5 of 6

Thank you for your reply. I have already told them I won't do their job as it is not through Upwork anymore, and my gut-feeling was that it's a scam as soon as the job post was removed for violating the Terms of Service, I just wanted to consult these threads as I'm new to Upwork.
Thanks again!

Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
6 of 6

Mason Mimi Y wrote:

Contract/ position/ employer are words that scammers use to pretend they are offering longterm work and give you a sense of false security. A client hiring a freelancer does not send a contract per mail or other means. A serious client will also not offer to buy office supplies for anyone, for any reason. Be vary of any unsolicited invitations, these people are trying to scam you out of your money.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS