🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Job automatically billing client even when I ...
Page options
fb86ae75
Community Member

Job automatically billing client even when I don't submit hours.

So let's say me and a client agree to five hours a week on an hourly project, and they set the weekly hours to 5 hours. I thought as always I have to input the hours manually before Sunday night for it to be counted and charged.
I wanted to give my client a free week as a bonus and so I did not charge any hours for the week, I left it zero hours. But on Sunday it automatically charged the client for the full set of hours that was the maximum. I waited for the next week to do it again and it did the same and automatically charged the hours again even when I didn't enter them.
Is this normal and how the system works? Is the only way to skip a week and take in zero money is set the allowed hours to zero? (Which takes another week to adjust)

Seems strange to me and I wasn't aware this was the case.

2 REPLIES 2
petra_r
Community Member

Skyler S wrote:

So let's say me and a client agree to five hours a week on an hourly project, and they set the weekly hours to 5 hours. I thought as always I have to input the hours manually before Sunday night for it to be counted and charged.

Seems strange to me and I wasn't aware this was the case.

It isn't the case.

Generally the client is charged on Monday (not Sunday) for the hours tracked or logged for the previous week.

I suspect your client set up an additional (!) weekly salary by accident and that's what happened. This means you've been paid the 5 hours, PLUS whatever weekly salary your client accidentally set up since the contract started.

If the client did not intend to do that,  he will have to end the contract and set up a new one, NOT including a weekly salary this time.

It also means you may want to refund the duplicate payments you have been getting while the contract has been open.

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Skyler,

In addition to Petra information. 
If your client needs any help feel free to send me the contract ID via PM (Click on my Name) and our team will assist them further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths