🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Job closings
Page options
anakridge
Community Member

Job closings

Upwork recently closed one of the jobs I had applied for. I have an interview with the client later today. Should I go stop working with the client?

**Edited for community guidelines**

7 REPLIES 7
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Upwork recently closed one of the jobs I had applied for. I have an interview with the client later today. Should I go stop working with the client?"

Ashley:

Upwork is not allowing this particular job to remain on their platform. You don't have an option to work on this job.

If you want to talk to the client and work on another job that he posts, that is up to you. But I would do so with caution. This may be a WONDERFUL client who accidentally used some incorrect wording in his last job posting. Or he may be a scoundrel.

I looked at your profile and saw that you have never done any jobs on Upwork. Honestly, you really should talk to us before working on a job for this client, or before agreeing to anything.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ashley,

Please note that you were not hired for this job and shouldn't provide any work. I've checked and the job has been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork ToS and action has been taken on the client account. 

In the future, please do not work on any project until a client has sent you an offer, you have accepted it, it's showing on your My Jobs page as an active contract, and the client's payment method is verified. 

I would recommend that you read up on the Safety First! section of the freelancer resources we have compiled here, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs, for more information about working safely through Upwork.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
anakridge
Community Member

I haven’t accepted the job, I only received an email about wanting to interview me. Can I close the close the contract that is apparently active?

Ashley A wrote:
I haven’t accepted the job, I only received an email about wanting to interview me. Can I close the close the contract that is apparently active?

Stop - You have an active contract?

How can you have an active contract when you "haven't accepted the job?"

In a previous reply a moderator said that it was appearing as active. I am very confused.

Ashley A wrote:
In a previous reply a moderator said that it was appearing as active. I am very confused.

not hired.jpg

At this point it appears like the job POST may have been taken down.

But that does not necessarily mean the client is a scammer.

So by all means talk to them and see. But don't do any work until you have an official Upwork offer and so on.

If your interview is supposed to be on Google hangouts chances are it's a scam. Do not give clients any personal info, don't accept any checks etc.

Ashley A wrote:

If you have been invited to interview, that is considered an active proposal, not a job.

A contract is only created when someone offers you a job and you accept.

As others have cautioned, this was likely a scam and Upwork removed it. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members