cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job complete with bad feedback. (CLIENT WAS ARRESTED)

Ace Contributor
Carlo M Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
11 of 45

Ok. I will just wait for the mods to take action and clarify.

Thanks katrina

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
12 of 45

@Carlo M wrote:

Will I break any Upwork terms and rules if I negotiate with that client to remove and change the rating in exchange of refund?

Yes. That is feedback manipulation and not allowed.

It is also a seriously bad idea, even if it was allowed, as it teaches the client the kind of lesson which we don't want to teach them.

It seems it's not the first time this client has done something like that: 4 hires, but only you and some guy last year ended up with any money. The job posting alone was a giant red flag. I would NEVER have bid on that.

Oh, and your client is hiring for a slander / defamation lawyer... I kid you not...

That said, is there any money left in Escrow? Is there a dispute going on?

Ace Contributor
13 of 45

Yes, i have another contract with him that is still on dispute.

Still waiting for the admin to take action.

Can I escalate this issue with upwork? Since you said that it seems this is not the first time he did this.

Community Guru
14 of 45

@Carlo M wrote:

1) Yes, i have another contract with him that is still on dispute.

2) Still waiting for the admin to take action.

3) Can I escalate this issue with upwork? Since you said that it seems this is not the first time he did this.

1) Ouch, so you are about to end up with 2 bad feedbacks.... What is the amount in dispute on the other contract?

2) What do you mean? What "action" are you expecting who to take?

3) Not really. It means there is one more contract somewhere out there. That doesn't have any bearing on the situation at hand.

Ace Contributor
15 of 45

This is the other contract that I am talking about that is on dispute.

After the dispute, will he be able to add a feedback? or No?

----

Take Action because he is doing this repeatedly on his hired freelancers.

Community Guru
16 of 45

@Carlo M wrote:

1) This is the other contract that I am talking about that is on dispute.

2) After the dispute, will he be able to add a feedback? or No?

3) Take Action because he is doing this repeatedly on his hired freelancers.

1) You do know that a dispute will not result in a "decision" and that if you and the client fail to come to an agreement at the end it goes to arbitration, at a cost of $ 291 per party (non returnable)

2) He already has, and it counts as an unsuccessful contract, so there are now two. You will likely want to use your perk to remove the impact of one of them from your JSS calculation.

3) Hang on - the client had 4 hires, 2 of which are you, one is still ongoing. We do not know what happened with the 4rth, so don't get ahead of yourself here.

Ace Contributor
17 of 45

I decided to withdraw the dispute so I dont have to deal with it and stress myself about it.

But now how can I make a refund if I did not even earned a single dollar?

Community Guru
18 of 45

@Carlo M wrote:

I decided to withdraw the dispute so I dont have to deal with it and stress myself about it.

But now how can I make a refund if I did not even earned a single dollar?

1) You had two contracts with that client, yes?

2) By withdrawing the dispute you HAVE refunded one (strictly speaking it was not a refund as you never had the money, it was a return of Escrow funds to the client)

3) What do you mean "if I did not even earned a single dollar?" Which contract are you taking about? The one that was in dispute or the one with the poor feedback? You did not earn anything from the contract that was in dispute, but you did on the one that is showing on your profile.

Can you clarify what the client is asking for a refund for? You've already been paid for the first contract.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
19 of 45

OP, the problem with things going into a dispute is that if it's to the point where the client wants their money back, you're getting a bad review regardless so use the perk especially since it's 2 contracts. 

I didn't look at your history, but a long history can probably buffer 1 bad feedback, but I would not chance it with 2. Kill one of them. 

Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
20 of 45

@Carlo M wrote:

Will I break any Upwork terms and rules if I negotiate with that client to remove and change the rating in exchange of refund?

I don't know if doing that would break any of Upwork's TOS. but ... You'll be defeating the purpose. If you refund the money you've earned, you don't have to ask the client to change the feedback. It will automatically disappear. AND. you will have lost your earnings.

NOTE - the above ONLY applies to public feedback. Clients can't change private feedback and refunding your earnings only deletes public feedback, NOT private feedback. And private feedback is what determines yoiur JSS.

The only way I know of having the private feedback removed is to use the top rated perk.

But I have to ask, if you have a ton of jobs completed with 5 star reviews, do you really think that one bad feedback in a ton of others will cause a client not to hire you?

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS