🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Job completed but still open ...
Page options
majormoore
Community Member

Job completed but still open ...

Hello all,

I'm a bit new here and just had a question:

What do you do when a job doesn't "close".

I finished a job a couple weeks ago, and the cient was very happy with it. Since, it has still stayed "open" even though completed long ago. I was hoping to get a good rating (and rate the employer as well), but impossible as the job is open despite being completed long ago.

What to do?

Thank you!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Adrian M wrote:

I was hoping to get a good rating (and rate the employer client as well), but impossible as the job is open despite being completed long ago.

Encourage the client (ONCE) to close the contract if they have no more work for you for the time being. If the client does not respond, you could wait a while and then end the contract yourself, but 2 weeks is not really that long and there is no rush.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
petra_r
Community Member

Adrian M wrote:

I was hoping to get a good rating (and rate the employer client as well), but impossible as the job is open despite being completed long ago.

Encourage the client (ONCE) to close the contract if they have no more work for you for the time being. If the client does not respond, you could wait a while and then end the contract yourself, but 2 weeks is not really that long and there is no rush.

OK thanks. I've sent a message. Just worried that it might stay open indefinitely! 

Adrian M wrote:

OK thanks. I've sent a message. Just worried that it might stay open indefinitely! 

You're free to close it yourself after a while.

Tried that but isn't possible...

Adrian M wrote:

Tried that but isn't possible...

What do you mean?? Of course it's possible.

Go to "my Jobs", click on and open the contract, click on the three dots on the right side, choose "end contract"

end contract.png

Thank you! I tried the same elsewhere, but not there!

Adrian,

Hold off closing it yourself.

Upwork has historically dinged some freelancers' Job Success Scores for having closed projects with no feedback from their clients on those projects.

Beginning in November, Upwork has said that will no longer be the case. So, there's no hurry to close abandoned projects yourself. And I suggest you wait until the new Upwork policy is in place, just to be safe.

Too late...anyway the employer was happy so i'm sure i'll get a good rating whenever they have the time..

...and it's by no means an "abandonned project", it was actually completed quickly and the employer gave me a bonus 😉

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths