🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Job completed in Messages, client disappeared...
Page options
flarose
Community Member

Job completed in Messages, client disappeared (yes I'm a newbie)

I am new to UpWork, my situation is probably very comon, but I can't seem to contact support (a real person, not a robot).

I negotiated a rate with a client in the Messages section and agreed to complete specific work for that rate. The client sent me the file to work on in the Messages and I started working on it. As this was my first job, I did not realize the client had to send me an offer and I had to accept it before starting the work... I should have known, fine, but the client is verified and has many positive reviews, and it was a small job and I was in a rush so I didn't give it much thought. So I completed the work and submitted the file in the Messages. Upon receiving the file, the client asked me to do more work, beyond the initial agreement. That's when I realized they hadn't even accepted the proposal... When I asked them to, they stopped responding.

The history is very clear in the Messages exchanged with the client, there is no doubt I have been scammed. Isn't there something UpWork can do about it? Can I at least report the client?

1 REPLY 1
petra_r
Community Member

No
Florence L wrote:

Isn't there something UpWork can do about it?

No.

Florence L wrote:

Can I at least report the client?

Sure, it won't make a difference though. You can click on "flag as inappropriate" on the job post and then choose "client is asking for free work" and explaining what happened in the text field.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members