Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Job earning levels and interviews and screening

amymortensen
Community Leader
Amy M Member Since: Jul 3, 2015
1 of 12

I have had a lot of potential clients lately make me do a lot of interviewing and screening and things before hiring for contracts where all the client wants is 3 or 4 or maybe 8 hours of work. To me, it seems inconsiderate to put the candidates through all that legwork for a job that will only yield 100 dollars or so.  It would be nice if Upwork could help regulate this somehow -- maybe start saying that jobs under 500 dollars need to be hired on the profile alone and no interviewing for contracts under 500 dollars other than a reasonable amount of texting back and forth.  All the interviewing adds up and takes a lot of time when you have a number of candidacies and all that is unpaid time and a burden on freelancers.  

 

 

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
2 of 12

That's not going to  happen. It's the nature of being a freelancer and the cost and time of doing business. There are no guarantees. You are not assured of being hired in the real world after an interview either.

 

Clients can't "make you do" anything - you don't have to interview, and you don't have to bid on $100 jobs.

amymortensen
Community Leader
Amy M Member Since: Jul 3, 2015
3 of 12

You often don't know if it is just a 100 dollar job if it is hourly because the structure says 10 hours or less a week, in 1 to 3 months for example.  I think they could at least make it so the client has to give us an estimate of overall hours for each hourly project I guess.  Then we can better decide if the interview is worth the time the project funds.  I have also had clients try to talk down my hourly rate in the interview. So not only is it fewer hours than expected, they also want to pay less per hour.  I didn't know that going into the interview situation either.  I understand that you have to interview for "regular" jobs too -- but these are not like regular jobs.  You don't usually interview in the real world for a job that only lasts a day.  You aren't usually offered a job as a shop clerk or a nurse for just a day, unless of course you are fired right away.  

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 12

Amy M wrote:All the interviewing adds up and takes a lot of time when you have a number of candidacies and all that is unpaid time and a burden on freelancers. 

 Really? Aquisition is part of the cost of running a business, and clearly must be calculated into the price, be it fixed rate or hourly.

 

My aquisition cost is very low, as I rarely apply and responding to invites takes hardly any time at all, but obviously that time is still factored into my overall prices. I aim to work about 50 hours a week, and spend about 30 minutes tops on non-billable activities such as responding to invites and questions or reviewing work diary, glancing at the job feed etc.

 

 

 

amymortensen
Community Leader
Amy M Member Since: Jul 3, 2015
5 of 12

Ideally, I think we would all like to have that ratio and I agree that is very workable what you describe in your case, but that is not often how it works out for those of us with fewer regular clients or in a different price range.  I am just noticing an uptick in more big legwork demands for very small jobs, that is all I wanted to put out there to see if anyone else has noticed the same thing.  

amymortensen
Community Leader
Amy M Member Since: Jul 3, 2015
6 of 12

Also thinking of all the other workers on here who charge even less than I do and who bid on the 10 and 20 dollar fixed priced jobs.  It is not fair that clients demand interviews and other pre-contract demands of them either.  I think we should work to improve conditions for everyone, because it is highly exploitative for those at the bottom.  The fact there are a chosen few who are successful using Upwork in its current state does not prove the system works fairly for everyone.  

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
7 of 12

Name a business or another industry that works fairly for everyone. This is a global marketplace. You can choose to  compete with others who work at the low-end of the spectrum ... or not.

sam-sly
Community Guru
Samantha S Member Since: Jun 23, 2016
8 of 12

@Amy M wrote:

Also thinking of all the other workers on here who charge even less than I do and who bid on the 10 and 20 dollar fixed priced jobs.  It is not fair that clients demand interviews and other pre-contract demands of them either. 


I do agree that individual freelancers should decide for themselves whether it is worthwhile. I would tend to think most lower value projects are not usually worth a 30-minute interview. But for some freelancers on this global marketplace $20 goes a lot farther then it does for me. 

 

I think the main reason so many clients request interviews is because they want to get a sense of whether the freelancer is who they say, is in the time zone they claim, and knows English (or another language) at the level claimed on the profile. There are quite a few scam freelancer profiles here, just like there are scam clients. Perhaps Upwork's new verification program will cut down on some of the interviews for lower-priced fixed rate projects.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
9 of 12

@Amy M wrote:

I have had a lot of potential clients lately make me do a lot of interviewing and screening and things before hiring for contracts where all the client wants is 3 or 4 or maybe 8 hours of work. To me, it seems inconsiderate to put the candidates through all that legwork for a job that will only yield 100 dollars or so.  It would be nice if Upwork could help regulate this somehow -- maybe start saying that jobs under 500 dollars need to be hired on the profile alone and no interviewing for contracts under 500 dollars other than a reasonable amount of texting back and forth.  All the interviewing adds up and takes a lot of time when you have a number of candidacies and all that is unpaid time and a burden on freelancers.  

 

 


 Just say no then. I prolly spend tops 30 minutes if someone wants to chat with me and talk with me in the interview process.

sam-sly
Community Guru
Samantha S Member Since: Jun 23, 2016
10 of 12

I am sorry I disagree. I have done video or telephone interviews with more than half of my clients (and a few who didn't hire me). I welcome the chance to see whether we communicate well and to have a chance to sell. If I were finding clients on my own I would probably have to do this anyway. Most of these calls are about 15-20 minutes and it gives me a chance to interview the client. Also, hearing the client talk gives me a better sense of their "voice" when I write their content.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS