Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job earning levels and interviews and screening

jcullinan
Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
11 of 12

Just say no. The amount of time and effort you put into winning a contract is completely up to you. Set yourself some benchmarks that the client has to meet - budget, things you won't put up with, that sort of thing - and then stick to your guns. You should be able to tell from the basic job description how much work might be involved - if it's not enough for you, don't apply. If you apply and the interview process gets too onerous for the work, then end it.

Freelancers are only at the mercy of clients by choice. Walking away is always an option.

datasciencewonk
Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
12 of 12

For most of my writing jobs, I interview the client through either voice only or video chat. 

I limit it to 10-15 minutes. But, it gives me in-depth specifics about various aspects of their expectation regarding the deliverable.  In fact, I overlooked doing this with one international client. Bad move.

We spoke today and she stated it was a great idea that we spoke over the phone (I asked her in a PM yesterday if she'd be willing to discuss the article I sent - the writing was good, the content went in a different direction than she'd expected; mind you, this is international finance - I'm not writing one off breezy blog pieces for click bait...I'm not saying anyone here is doing that, my point is, it is a different style of writing). 

It's your own business. Upwork is not in the business of running your business for you. If you don't want to interview for jobs below a certain value, then don't. 

There are other people on the platform who will. Why would you want to limit other people like that? It's up to each individual to calculate their own cost-benefit ratio. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS