🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Job for Experienced RFP proposal writers-...
Page options
kymleemurphy
Community Member

Job for Experienced RFP proposal writers- refer out

Greetings all!

I was just contacted here on UW after submitting a proposal-- in regards to a job from a verified payer for a legitimate opportunity to respond to a large municipal RFP in less than 30 days now with a full government style proposal. While I do have experience writing proposals; I believed this to be a smaller job that presented much larger after reviewing the RFP the client sent over. I am not confident that I will be able to deliver to the level that is necessary as the subject matter is outside of my normal competencies. I truly want to ensure this client is taken care of and has a quality product, so I believe it is in the best interest to refer this job to a more experienced professional in this area. I already know the job will pay a good amount based on normal fee structure for this kind of work and I hate to give up a paying gig. I just can't in good concience take this on knowing my limitations. **edited for Community Guidelines** I advised him I would be reviewing the RFP in its' entirety and would give a response tomorrow at the latest as it is time sensative. His initial description didn't give away the RFP details otherwise I likely would not have submitted. 

Thank you in advance. I'd like to assist him in getting this accomplished as soon as possible. 

Best,

Kym

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kym, 

I understand that you would like to help the client shortlist candidates for their job post, which is very nice of you. However, the Community is not the place to look for freelancers for jobs posted in the marketplace. I hope you understand why I had to edit your post as it violates our Community Guidelines.

If you need to look for freelancers for a certain job, you can do so by posting a job in the marketplace so that freelancers who qualify can bid for the job.

~ Avery
Upwork

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
mystudiomke
Community Member

Kym - you will most likely not find your answer here as this not the best place for all who fit under this category to find your post. I wouldn't recommend posting this an Upwork job either because you are not the one hiring. It is very kind of you to help, but it is because you feel obligated since you can't do it yourself?

It is ok to tell your client the honest truth and move on. I get your idea of presenting him with 'sorry after further review....blah blah but would also like to refer you to....". It is not your responsibility, this happens all the time while looking for the right candidate - not everyone who you sent additional info will be the right person.

If you really feel obligated, then you can search for freelancers via Upwork. Then you can forward a link.

Best wishes.

Lila

Thanks Lila. I just noticed he had less than 5 proposals submitted for his job posting- likely because it wasn't expressive enough. When he interviewed me and sent over the RFP I was concerned. I am competent enough to take the project on and do a well enough job, but part of the process is ensuring enough time for research and the best possible collab with their capabilities to ensure that they have a quality proposal to actually win a contract award. I know the competition he's up against, so if he's going to shell out a ton of money for a last minute proposal he should get someone who can do it as seamlessly as possible. I'm confident enough to admit I am not confident I'm the best for this particular undertaking. Plus, I want to help out another freelancer make some good money. The budget reflected is not the budget he's actually under and he is somewhat educated on the costs of such an undertaking so this is an excellent opportunity.

I feel that because I sent a proposal, and I understand the complications of this process that I should at least make an effort to refer someone more experienced with the additional information making it a more attractive job opportunity here on UW. 

I believe in good Karma. haha. 

Thanks again. 🙂

Kym M wrote:

TI just noticed he had less than 5 proposals submitted for his job posting- likely because it wasn't expressive enough.

Well, that is not your problem and not your business.

Politely decline and move on.

Kym M wrote:

I feel that because I sent a proposal, and I understand the complications of this process that I should at least make an effort to refer someone more experienced with the additional information making it a more attractive job opportunity here on UW.

Yeah, no. Don't.

Just curious Petra- why not? If someone else can make money from a good opportunity that I can't utilize and I have the ability to try to network the two-- why would I not? 

My ideology is that my responsibilities are what I assign myself. Even if it's not what everyone would do.

Just curious on your viewpoint here- you've been on UW awhile and obviously that thought process comes from somewhere.

Side note- I did refer him another professional with the requisite experience and job satisfaction after searching for freelancers as Lila suggested. He explained he appreciated my honesty and will look to use me in the future. 

Not that this was transactional in nature but what was the harm in sending him an option, right?

Kym M wrote:

Just curious Petra- why not?

Why I wouldn't start meddling:

1. Because it is none of my business
  2. Because any search I can do, the client can
  3. Because it is none of my business
  4. Because I don't know any of the people I might be referring the client to personally and would rather not be in any way responsible for the outcome
  5. Because it is none of my business

It would be a different matter if I personally knew someone who would be perfect. In that case there would be no harm in sending the client a link to their profile. But other that that I'd politely decline and let the client get on with their stuff while I get on with mine.

Kym M wrote:

Side note- I did refer him another professional with the requisite experience and job satisfaction after searching for freelancers as Lila suggested

Is there any reason why you assumed the client to be too incompetent or dumb to do the very same search?

PS: The reason why there seem to be just 5 applicants will be because the client declined / archived everyone they did not intend to interview, which is good housekeeping. At that point they no longer count under the number of proposals.

Even the most ridiculous job posts get more than 5 proposals...

Petra,

First-- the way you approach business and what is yours and what is not is understandable. Whether it is my business or not, I took up a portion of the client's time and felt some responsibility for being solutions oriented. I know that I would appreciate being treated that way if any of the personnel that I interviewed or hired in similar fashion had offered me a solution that I had not explored yet-- and even if I did, the thought process shows critical thinking and problem solving. As this is a freelancing site and clients offer more than one opportunity routinely, I would think it prudent to engender rapport and trust between parties when one has the opportunity to do so. 

Additionally, if we are to trust UWs rating system- I see no harm in sending a verified person with multiple reviews to the positive in the area of expertise needed. So I did. I can understand the sentiment of not sending any joe schmo who says they can RFP with the best of them. Nor was that what I was looking for. Seeing as this is a community, the community should know who top performers are and can make accurate recommendations based on the wealth of professionals that are here on this site and their enagagement on this platform-- or so I believed. 

Lastly,

You presume too much. Being solutions oriented and assuming a client stupid are two very different thought processes. Professionals are such because they think of all angles, and problem solvers solve problems. He very well could have done his own search. I merely provided the link to save some steps, or assist as there is a definitive time crunch to get that project completed and time is valuable at the moment for him. 

I'd also add, that while I understand your voice, and your tone being lost in text- and while I appreciate your engagement as unsolicited yet constructive criticism; you come off sounding a bit condescending. I don't really know why this is how you approach new people in this area however it's a bit off putting when trying to converse on opinions and such. You prescribe to your ideology and I prescribe to mine, but I wouldn't be conversing with other professionals that way. It shows poor communication EQ and can build a wall between you and the person you're trying to send a message to. Not being faceitious, because I don't think that's your true intention but I've noticed it in several interactions you've had with me and others on the forums. Just a friendly impression.

Thanks for your input. 

I still chose to do what I did, and I feel good about my approach.

Take care.

Kym M wrote:

Mission achieved then. **Edited for Community Guidelines**

As for the rest - you asked me why I wouldn't take it upon myself to suggest strangers on the Internet to a stranger on the Internet, to the point of trying to solicit more strangers via a forum post for a client who never asked for anything like that, and I told you. What you do with that information is up to you.

Free advice on an Internet forum is worth what you pay for it.

Kym M wrote:

Petra,

First-- the way you approach business and what is yours and what is not is understandable. Whether it is my business or not, I took up a portion of the client's time and felt some responsibility for being solutions oriented. I know that I would appreciate being treated that way if any of the personnel that I interviewed or hired in similar fashion had offered me a solution that I had not explored yet-- and even if I did, the thought process shows critical thinking and problem solving. As this is a freelancing site and clients offer more than one opportunity routinely, I would think it prudent to engender rapport and trust between parties when one has the opportunity to do so. 

Additionally, if we are to trust UWs rating system- I see no harm in sending a verified person with multiple reviews to the positive in the area of expertise needed. So I did. I can understand the sentiment of not sending any joe schmo who says they can RFP with the best of them. Nor was that what I was looking for. Seeing as this is a community, the community should know who top performers are and can make accurate recommendations based on the wealth of professionals that are here on this site and their enagagement on this platform-- or so I believed. 

Lastly,

You presume too much. Being solutions oriented and assuming a client stupid are two very different thought processes. Professionals are such because they think of all angles, and problem solvers solve problems. He very well could have done his own search. I merely provided the link to save some steps, or assist as there is a definitive time crunch to get that project completed and time is valuable at the moment for him. 

I'd also add, that while I understand your voice, and your tone being lost in text- and while I appreciate your engagement as unsolicited yet constructive criticism; you come off sounding a bit condescending. I don't really know why this is how you approach new people in this area however it's a bit off putting when trying to converse on opinions and such. You prescribe to your ideology and I prescribe to mine, but I wouldn't be conversing with other professionals that way. It shows poor communication EQ and can build a wall between you and the person you're trying to send a message to. Not being faceitious, because I don't think that's your true intention but I've noticed it in several interactions you've had with me and others on the forums. Just a friendly impression.

Thanks for your input. 

Take care.

'xcept it's against ToS.... sigh....

tlbp
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

Kym M wrote:

Just curious Petra- why not?

Why I wouldn't start meddling:

1. Because it is none of my business
  2. Because any search I can do, the client can
  3. Because it is none of my business
  4. Because I don't know any of the people I might be referring the client to personally and would rather not be in any way responsible for the outcome
  5. Because it is none of my business

It would be a different matter if I personally knew someone who would be perfect. In that case there would be no harm in sending the client a link to their profile. But other that that I'd politely decline and let the client get on with their stuff while I get on with mine.

Kym M wrote:

Side note- I did refer him another professional with the requisite experience and job satisfaction after searching for freelancers as Lila suggested

Is there any reason why you assumed the client to be too incompetent or dumb to do the very same search?

PS: The reason why there seem to be just 5 applicants will be because the client declined / archived everyone they did not intend to interview, which is good housekeeping. At that point they no longer count under the number of proposals.

Even the most ridiculous job posts get more than 5 proposals...

Let us also not forget that what we may see as beneficial, Upwork often perceives as a violation of some poorly worded section of the TOS. 
Why not simply tell the client that their job post is unclear and that they might get better results by including the needed information? 

Kym = As others have said it is not your job nor your responsibility to find another freelancer for this client. What if that freelancer only does half of the work and then disappears. Or what if what's delivered to the client is sloppily completed with many mistakes and/or wrong information. What if this recommended freelancer turns out to be a scammer. What responsibility do you now have with this client since you recommended this freelancer? 

If you feel that you can not deliver what this client needs, THEN it's your responsibility to convey that to this client, 

Hi XXX. After looking at the materials you sent, and seeing the work and timeline, I feel that I can not deliver the quality of work that you deserve. I am declining your offer, and I wish you the best in finding a freelancer with the skills needed to complete you job.

To be honest and forthright with a client will go along way then trying to find a freelancer for him. 

After hearing replies and reasoning to your original post,, you are going to do what you're going to do.  So, good luck. 

Folks-

While I understand where you’re all coming from- a few things.

1. I did not ask in my OP for advice on what I should and should not do. I am convinced of my convictions here and I was correct in doing what I chose.

2. I did ask the community originally before the edit for community guidelines to be referred to top professionals that have the experience for an undertaking so I may refer them to the job posting.

3. When that was not provided, or couldn’t be- I took Lila’s advice and searched for freelancers and picked the person with the exact experience, reviews, UW rating etc that made sense for the work.

4. I did explain to the client why I was declining and offered that person’s UW link describing her profile illustrates her experience in response to Govt RFPs. That I was not sure how many others he was interviewing but if he didn’t have another candidate that she may be available and that I wished him luck.

He thanked me on both accounts.

So in short- I’ve learned the this community is rather pessimistic and believes people posting here cannot come up with appropriate resolutions on their own, and that I will absolutely continue doing what I believe to be best. I may be new here, but I am not new to the working world- business acumen or integrity in client dealings.

And if I choose to support other freelancers- it is my decision to do so knowing the risks of someone failing to meet expectations.

Good thing we don’t all look at opportunities that way- otherwise some people would never have the chance at success.

Good day everyone.

Thank you Lila for actually offering a solution originally before Moderation stepped in.

Kym M wrote:

2. I did ask the community originally before the edit for community guidelines to be referred to top professionals that have the experience for an undertaking so I may refer them to the job posting.

I get what you were trying to do, you were trying to offer the client an alternative after you noticed that the job was not a good fit for you. That is very nice of you but think about it logically and logistically.

Many of us deal with dozens of clients a week or a day, many of whom have jobs we decide not to take on for some reason or the other.  If every freelancer who decides not to go further with any given proposal started posting in the forum to recruit someone else for those jobs, the forum would drown. It simply isn't practical and simply isn't appropriate (apart from being against the forum rules.)

As far as suggesting someone you found via a search is concerned,  I am sure it'll do no harm, but I'm equally sure you can understand why the rest of us are a little bewildered. 

Once you (if you) get to the point of juggling dozens of actual and potential jobs and clients at any given time you'll probably understand why inserting yourself into a complete stranger's recruitment processes is not part of what most freelancers do here unless they just happen to personally know someone who would be perfect for a contract we don't want for whatever reason.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kym, 

I understand that you would like to help the client shortlist candidates for their job post, which is very nice of you. However, the Community is not the place to look for freelancers for jobs posted in the marketplace. I hope you understand why I had to edit your post as it violates our Community Guidelines.

If you need to look for freelancers for a certain job, you can do so by posting a job in the marketplace so that freelancers who qualify can bid for the job.

~ Avery
Upwork
versailles
Community Member

You can kindly advise the client about how to reformulate the job post to get more skilled applicants. It would already be a great deal of help.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Kym M wrote:

Greetings all!

I was just contacted here on UW after submitting a proposal-- in regards to a job from a verified payer for a legitimate opportunity to respond to a large municipal RFP in less than 30 days now with a full government style proposal. While I do have experience writing proposals; I believed this to be a smaller job that presented much larger after reviewing the RFP the client sent over. I am not confident that I will be able to deliver to the level that is necessary as the subject matter is outside of my normal competencies. I truly want to ensure this client is taken care of and has a quality product, so I believe it is in the best interest to refer this job to a more experienced professional in this area. I already know the job will pay a good amount based on normal fee structure for this kind of work and I hate to give up a paying gig. I just can't in good concience take this on knowing my limitations. **edited for Community Guidelines** I advised him I would be reviewing the RFP in its' entirety and would give a response tomorrow at the latest as it is time sensative. His initial description didn't give away the RFP details otherwise I likely would not have submitted. 

Thank you in advance. I'd like to assist him in getting this accomplished as soon as possible. 

Best,

Kym

I hope you didn't accept an offer before you knew all the details, this could result in a no delivery/ no payment situation which is bad for your rating.

The other thing - boundaries. Yes you can refer clients to other freelancers, if you know them personally and are confident in their abilities. Posting about it here is wrong on so many levels. You seriously look for a freelancer by posting in the forum? You don't know them, right, and you could do your client a huge disservice, which you will find reflected in your feedback. You could find yourself in a world of hurt, which you seem to think is the right thing to do? Headshaking. 

If you want to hire somebody, post a job. Otherwise trust the client is an adult conducting his business. Don't meddle. That will not end well. 

Apparently the whole thread was not read by several here.

His posting was not descriptive of the level of experience needed for this job. Only after he sent the additional information in the interview phase did I realize that I was not the correct person for the job.

Here’s the thing-

I’ve been “chastised” and belittled on this forum several times now by people who don’t understand the concept of doing the right thing even when it’s outside normal practice.

I didn’t realize it was outside of TOS until I was advised and the community guidelines edit was put in place to reflect.

I am leaving Upwork. Your community here is as bad as described, you are not friendly or helpful with few exception. Snarky is the choice of the gurus here and it’s just not for me.

Having my intelligence insulted on a forum indicating I’ve never juggled numerous clients and project prior is laughable.

Maybe not on this site- since I’ve been here maybe 3 weeks. But in my 15 years of business, my projects have been many and just as tedious.

I don’t understand why so many people are limiting themselves on perceived boundaries when you could be breaking the “rules” and actually helping someone.

So you all stick to your methodologies and I will find work elsewhere. I thought I’d try this place out but it is unhelpful, rude and unsupportive of fellow professionals.

Good luck in your future endeavors. May no one ever challenge your thought pattern again.

45c0375a
Community Member

I den your work in only 10 dollar 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths