🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Job gone Wrong, can it hurt me? please read f...
Page options
justusmcgonigal
Community Member

Job gone Wrong, can it hurt me? please read for details

I had a similar situation, where the terms of the job were not as discussed, on top of that I attempted to negotiate with client and assist all I could to help with what really was a debugging job beyond my scope. The solution was resolved as I made a support ticket with the 3rd party app the client was desiring to use for their e-commerce platform.

I then gave the ticket numbers to the client, client communicated he would take it from there. We didn't talk about what would happen with the contract but I was under the impression it would be cancelled as I could not deliver. 

I then get an email a week later with the client furious as apparently even though the client had the information to get in touch with the support team, we had a misunderstanding that I was going to be continuing on, he had already as well been informed that I may not be able to deliver. The support teams emails had been going into my spam folder with my email so I did not see. as the Third party app used an additional Third party support system that my email had detected as possible "Phishing" emails. 

From the clients perspective I left him high and dry, the client was not happy. However the client was able to contact the support after almost 10 days since our previous discussions and found out it was a simple solution I was unaware of due to the job being EU and I am NA. I assumed it would be the same job regardless.

Now due to the whole situation rather then arguing with a customer. I just respectfully asked if he would like to cancel the contract?(Even though the job he hired me to do was technically completed for 2 weeks we just didn't know it. Had I opened it with an EU vpn the app would have successfully worked.) He happily agreed. 

Now can he leave me PUBLIC negative feedback? This was also my 1st job on UpWork, I was NOT new to the task that was at hand. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Justus M wrote:

I just respectfully asked if he would like to cancel the contract?He happily agreed. 

Now can he leave me PUBLIC negative feedback? 

If the contract was cancelled and nothing was paid, then No, the client can't leave any public feedback, but any private feedback that has been left can, for better or for worse, affect your metrics. (future Job Success Score, eligibility for Rising Talent status etc).

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
JoanneP

Hi Justus,

Thanks for reaching out. I'm sorry to hear how the contract turned out. I understand that it can be frustrating when things do not go as you would have expected.  Regarding your question, yes, the client can leave feedback when the contract is ended.  Both you and the client can leave feedback. For more information, please check this help article

~ Joanne
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Justus M wrote:

I just respectfully asked if he would like to cancel the contract?He happily agreed. 

Now can he leave me PUBLIC negative feedback? 

If the contract was cancelled and nothing was paid, then No, the client can't leave any public feedback, but any private feedback that has been left can, for better or for worse, affect your metrics. (future Job Success Score, eligibility for Rising Talent status etc).

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members