cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job interview invitations but did not put in a proposal for the job

natoshia16
Natoshia S Member Since: Jul 28, 2016
1 of 7

Hello, Upwork community, Recently I had two job interview invitations on Upwork but I never put in a proposal for these jobs. Should I be suspicious? Has this ever happended to anyone else? Also, I do get interviewed in google hangouts

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
2 of 7

The Google Hangouts interview is extremely suspicious.  I am, however, sometimes invited to jobs that I didn't apply for.  Some jobs, in fact, are invitation only.  But I've been around for four years and the scammers leave me alone.

natoshia16
Natoshia S Member Since: Jul 28, 2016
3 of 7

Do you automatically decline the job interview invitations? I had one last week and was $20/hr (too good to be true). I also had to purchase some software but they was going to send me a check to do so . When they said this I became very suspicious.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
4 of 7

Automatically decline what looks too good to be true, tries to take you directly offsite with no discussion or asks you to buy anything.

However, once you get established on Upwork, you will receive legitimate invitations that you may want to consider.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 7

If you are:

(1) a newbie on Upwork

(2) offering entry-level job skills such as data entry, virtual assistant, etc.

(3) receive an invitation to interview via Google Hangouts or Yahoo Messenger

Then, yes, you should automatically decline and ignore such offers. They are all scams.

And if you really want to save time, then don't even worry about item 3.

If you're an entry-level newbie, all invitations you receive are scams or just complete wastes of your time.

Focus on applying to appropriate jobs.

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
6 of 7

Anybody who wants to send you a check to buy equipment or software is a scammer.  And anyway, you cannot accept payment of any kind off of Upwork.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 7

re: "However, once you get established on Upwork, you will receive legitimate invitations that you may want to consider."

I totally agree.

When I started out... no invitations. Now, after working on Upwork for 2 years, I receive invitations regularly. And I know many contractors, in all types of job skills and at all levels of expertise, receive legitimate invitations to work on legitimate projects.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS