cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job interview via Yahoo messenger

bratlyn98
Brandi V Member Since: Jan 27, 2014
1 of 5
Anyone ever been interviewed via Yahoo Messenger? The person starts with Full name, Cell phone & state/city. I always am leery of giving out personal information as it is already available through oDesk. ** Is the company and the person on messenger is ** and then proceeds to ask bank information as what bank I bank with. .... Please advise....
margaretphillips
Community Guru
Margaret P Member Since: Jul 7, 2007
2 of 5
People interview all kinds of ways but never give out personal information, especially bank info. The client pays you thru oDesk so they have no need for any of your financial info. This is definitely a scam and you need to report them to Customer Support.
srichey76
Samantha R Member Since: Jan 28, 2014
3 of 5
I have had a total of three oDesk "clients" ask to interview me via Yahoo messenger. My spidey sense was screaming at me during all three of the interviews. I haven't given any information other than name and address, and in one case, the name of the bank I use - but, now I'm wondering if identity theft is possible, even with the limited information I gave. I am flagging these clients as inappropriate for fraud/phishing - mostly, because right out of the gate, I ask if their intention is to have me work outside of the oDesk portal. If this is the case, I end the interview. Does anyone know if anything ever comes of flagging them this way? I had one of them contact me again through a different client name on oDesk, but the same name for the "interviewer" on Yahoo Messenger.
david_gregory
Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
4 of 5
What's the difference between being interviewed on Yahoo Messenger and being interviewed on Skype. I get interviewed on Skype all the time and have never had a problem.
marciamalory
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
5 of 5
The OP's issue was being asked to give out bank information. Actually, I think some clients prefer to do realtime interviews with instant messaging because it allows them to gauge the freelancer's English ability. Some freelancers with poor English use profiles and cover letters written by other people. Instant messaging puts them on the spot.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS