🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Job is closed so when will my connect return?
Page options
rabia_bashir
Community Member

Job is closed so when will my connect return?

Hi, 
Hope you will be fine.

I have applied to the job which is closed or expired without hiring anyone. Link of job is given below:

**Edited for community guidelines**

Can you please tell me when I'll get my connects back to me?

Please update me regarding it.

Thanks.

16 REPLIES 16
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Rabia,

A job is canceled either by our team in case it's in violation of Upwork ToS or by the client if they don't want to proceed with it. A job expires after 30 days of inactivity but clients are still able to review proposals and hire freelancers after the mentioned time frame. Connects will not be refunded for that job since it expires with no hires. You can find more information here.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hi Bojan,

If client doesn't hire even within 30 days then it means that such cleints are not even serious about hiring procedure. In such cases, why upwork doesn't take any action as our connects are not wastage? They are precious because we are spending money on it and purchased them.

Please take a glance for such cases or scenarios.

Kind regards.

Hi Rabia,

We understand some clients unfortunately will post jobs, never hire and never close their jobs. We know this is frustrating and we will continue to reach out to clients to encourage them to hire or remove their job. We recommend you closely review the client’s details, such as past hire rate, to help you decide whether to use Connects to submit a proposal for a project. To learn more about what you should be looking for in a job post, please check out this article

~ Bojan
Upwork

hi, how are you? 

The same is happing with me just like Rabia, Please take action on this and returned the connects also on expired job, this is the waste of money for us which we earn through a hardwork and by dedicate our time. Sometimes a clinet with 90% Hire rate dosent hire or close the job. I hope you Understand. 

Thanks

Ahsan.

I think connect should be return if job is closed I agree with Rabia

Agreed. 

Hello Bojan,

In my experience thus far it is close to 1/2 of all proposals I've submitted that become "Job is closed". Due to this high percentage, I really hope Upwork will seriously consider refunding connects when jobs expire. At the moment I'm very hesitant to invest further in connects because of this issue.

Hi Derek,

Your feedback and suggestions mean a lot to us to improve our service. I've shared this with the rest of the team for review. As Bojan mentioned in his response, we highly suggest our valued talents to closely review the client and the job details to help you decide whether to submit a proposal to a project or not. 

~ Arjay
Upwork

Thanks for your reply Arjay.

I apreciate you sharing my feedback with your team.

I've actually taken much care and spent signifiant time researching and evaluating clients and the specific job details that I've spent connects on in order to submit proposals towards. I primarily submit proposals to clients with their payment method verified and have a fairly high percentage of previous hires as well as have good reviews and ratings. Here is one example for your reference that illustrates this reoccuring situation. I really hope Upwork takes this issue seriously and considers implimiting my sugestion of refunding connects to freelancers for closed jobs in which clients have not hired someone through Upwork for.

HI Arjay,

Here are a few more job listings that closed/expired in which no Upwork freelancer was hired.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Learning about vetting clients and jobs can save you a lot of wasted connects.

Hi Derek,

We truly appreciate you sharing these here in the Community. However, some content of your post needs to be removed due to violation of the Community Guidelines

Please remember that including names of persons or companies (or other identifying information) in an accusation of misconduct, incompetence, or other wrongdoing is not allowed.

This is why we encourage all members to let us know if they find anything suspicious has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here. We would appreciate it if the Guidelines were followed when posting in the Community. Thank you!

~ Arjay
Upwork

Thanks for your reply Arjay,

Understood and will do my best to not overstep in the future. I didn't realize the 14 Upwork cancled job listings URLs I shared would be in violation of the communitity guidelines. I provided those examples to you and the UW community to share my experience and present verifiable proof as examples of this issue being recurring.

kmkhan81
Community Member

Dear Arjay,

I agreed with Bojan and as Saler, I always review the client and job details thoroughly but it seems that Upwork doesn't care about the saler connects which are valuable because Saler has to purchase and invest in them to find work on Upwork. 

If Upwork will not care about saler connects why do clients take it seriously? 

One more thing is there is no mechanism to check whether clients are still hiring or not for the same job. 

Hi Derek,

I am with you and experiencing the same case.

m4an
Community Member

There are 38 job proposals listed here with closed positions and no hires, while it requires 16 to 18 connects to apply for a job. It should not be difficult to identify those jobs that are only posted without any hires. Upwork should take action to address this issue, you need to hire a developer or ask your team, especially considering that the thread was posted two years ago, and people are still facing the same problem.

archived proposal.JPG

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members