🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Job is closed
Page options
ghulam_m_sharif
Community Member

Job is closed

Greetings! Recently I am having quite an unexpected experience after submitting a job proposal to an active job posting with posted now status. I have attached a work sample that was based on the client's job description and send it to the client as a screenshot with watermarks and a low-resolution file for security reasons to impress the client for an initial idea proposed. Unfortunately, every time I follow this process after the proposal is sent to the client, I received a notification that the "job is closed". Apparently, this happens when the job is inactive for a long time of period. Either client is just collecting data from freelancers to get the latest ideas from their valuable portfolios and proposals or they are not taking this seriously to closed the job right away without any hires or interviews. Looking for suggestions.

13 REPLIES 13
roberty1y
Community Member

You can find out whether or not they hired someone through the job ad if you go to your proposals page and then go into the proposals archive. When you find the job there, you can see if anyone was hired.

What I am trying to know is when the client posted a job 1 hour ago and the last viewed was 15 minutes ago with 0=Interview, 0=Hire, 0=Invitations, and the only person is writing and investing time is you only and suddenly you have received a message that Job is closed and archived is quite frustrating. Maybe some of the clients received a work sample similar to the job posted, they decided to leave the room with ideas because most of the clients are also very good tool operators but not very good at conceptualizing or brainstorming, and since they have the key to leave the room any time before accepting the proposal their job is done already.

Ghulam M S wrote:

What I am trying to know is when the client posted a job 1 hour ago and the last viewed was 15 minutes ago with 0=Interview, 0=Hire, 0=Invitations, and the only person is writing and investing time is you only and suddenly you have received a message that Job is closed and archived is quite frustrating. Maybe some of the clients received a work sample similar to the job posted, they decided to leave the room with ideas because most of the clients are also very good tool operators but not very good at conceptualizing or brainstorming, and since they have the key to leave the room any time before accepting the proposal their job is done already.

Even for the client to get a work sample, there'd have to be at least one interview or one answered invite.

Robert Y wrote:

Even for the client to get a work sample, there'd have to be at least one interview or one answered invite.

Complete nonsense!

Robert Y wrote:

Ghulam M S wrote:

When you send a proposal you can attach images.

Screenshot.png

OP's problem is that he misused this option, because he submitted an idea and the client may have taken the idea and closed the job.
For this reason, there is no send free samples.
This option exists, in my opinion, for the client to see a relevant example of your portfolio.

roberty1y
Community Member

If you can steal work from someone's proposal, you can also steal it from their portfolio without even posting the job.

Robert Y wrote:

If you can steal work from someone's proposal, you can also steal it from their portfolio without even posting the job.

Evidently!
And not only can the client steal them, but most often they are stolen by freelancers.
The problem is that, if you do a design sample based on what the client has specified, it is no longer "something close to what the client needs", but it is "what the client needs".
He takes the idea and makes it himself, his cousin, his nephew, or a cheaper freelancer.

The only solution I can suggest is if "XYZ Client" submits a job with a verified payment setup is obliged to find a freelancer from the Upwork platform without any "if's n but's". If they receiving proposals based on their job posting that means they are already getting results and if they quit without getting their job done then Upwork needs to put their payment on hold. So the client will directly correspond with the Upwork team to explain their issue. Freelancers submit work samples so they can have their bread and butter every day. The job can only be closed when the job is done by hardworking Freelancers, not before that. The client can inspiration or whatever but they are not allowed to close the job.

Here is the thing when the job status mentioned "Payment Method Verified" that means it is a legit requirement and we Freelancers start impressing clients by our work proposals. But in reality, clients have more privileges than Freelancers, and because of that clients take advantage of us.

Ghulam M S wrote:

The only solution I can suggest is if "XYZ Client" submits a job with a verified payment setup is obliged to find a freelancer from the Upwork platform without any "if's n but's". If they receiving proposals based on their job posting that means they are already getting results and if they quit without getting their job done then Upwork needs to put their payment on hold. So the client will directly correspond with the Upwork team to explain their issue. Freelancers submit work samples so they can have their bread and butter every day. The job can only be closed when the job is done by hardworking Freelancers, not before that. The client can inspiration or whatever but they are not allowed to close the job.

No, you cannot require a client to sign up with Upwork. Where did you get that wonderful idea?
A client can advertise his work on many platforms and decide where, when and whom to hire. The connects must be assumed as a commercial expense.
And the payment, verified or not, is just that. There are clients who do not have the payment verified because it is their first job advertisement and they do not want to give their data yet, by asking them to verify it BEFORE accepting the contract, it is solved.
There are also customers with verified payment who, when they actually have to pay, it is discovered that the card is not theirs or that there is a problem with it and they do not pay.
If you use Upwork well, most of the time you will not have problems (these cannot be completely avoided here or elsewhere).
And as far as Upwork's support for clients is concerned, well, there's a lot of scam freelancer here too.

People are not getting invitations especially new Freelancers and we are trying hard to find a better way to get some work.

Ghulam M S wrote:

People are not getting invitations especially new Freelancers and we are trying hard to find a better way to get some work.

I have been with Upwork since 2015 and I very rarely receive invitations. And most of the ones I've received either don't really fit my skills or don't fit my budgets.
So I'm not wait for invitations. I'm only looking for jobs that I can apply to because they fit me, I apply and forget about it.
And every now and then, surprise!

Ghulam M S wrote:

Upwork is an established platform with well-understood practices. It is not a guranteed job mart for new freelancers. You have to accept it as is--including accepting the fact that not every client will hire someone. 

There's no point in complaining that it is hard to get a gig. Freelancing is hard. You have to manage every aspect of your business, including finding a way to generate leads. You'll experience a lot more success if you change your mindset from looking for reasons why someone else's system doesn't work for you and coming up with one of your own. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths