cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job listing scam

mbailey71
Active

Hello I am new here to this site and of course looking for employment.

wouldn't you know they very first offer I received is of course a scam, I have received jobs offers before that were scams and so now I am very leery and check twice. 

This posting is for **edited for Community Guidelines** which yes is a real company, but the offer is not real.

When they emailed me the job offer they made a crucial mistake, the wrong name was on the document and the wrong dates. Therefore to confirm my suspicions I contacted the real company and sent them the documents Their email back to me is what I suspected a scam... below is the original posting please beware applying for this position. They are looking to steal you bank account information.

**edited for Community Guidelines**

Theres more, but I figured this post is long enough already.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Michelle,

Don't take it personally.

As a new contractor, it is normal for you to be invited to many scam jobs. It is also normal for you to apply to scam jobs and have a few rough experiences initially.

After you have a little more experience, you won't run into this very much, if at all.

I have been using Upwork a little more than a year. I regularly receive job invitations, but I never receive invitations to scam jobs. So that's something you can look forward to.

Feel free to post questions here in the Community Forum as you get invitations and consider jobs to apply to. We'll be able to help you quickly identify which are scams.

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
lysis10
Community Guru

Let me guess, they want to send you a check.

Actually, they want my bank account log in to supposedly link my account to there company account...

I have never heard of this before, therefore I told them my bank was suspicious of the fact that this was a scam and suggested that only payment by check would be recommended. (I do like to turning over fraudulent checks to the authorities)

Michelle,

Don't take it personally.

As a new contractor, it is normal for you to be invited to many scam jobs. It is also normal for you to apply to scam jobs and have a few rough experiences initially.

After you have a little more experience, you won't run into this very much, if at all.

I have been using Upwork a little more than a year. I regularly receive job invitations, but I never receive invitations to scam jobs. So that's something you can look forward to.

Feel free to post questions here in the Community Forum as you get invitations and consider jobs to apply to. We'll be able to help you quickly identify which are scams.

Thank you, I appreciate the words of confidence. I will not let this experince keep from applying to other postings. I will remember to look for the warning signs and continue to read between the lines

It does disgust me that these individuals are out there trying to take advantage of others who may already be down on there luck, and I can warn others I will. 

You're right to be suspicious. When has a direct deposit employer ever asked for login info to your bank? Never. So yep, scam.

Thank you Jennifer, even after requesting payment be made in check.... they are still requesting my banking information. 

So, I asked them for theirs, that I am not comfortable giving my personal information some one I do not know, 

Spoiler

btw,,, another warning sign: they were offering 30/hr for a data entry position. 

On Upwork, no client needs your personal contact information or your bank information. They don't need your PayPal account information either.

On Upwork, legitimate clients don't even ask you how you want to be paid.

On Upwork, clients pay UPWORK using their credit card. Clients do NOT pay contractors.

Upwork pays the contractors, using money they collect from clients.

Any client asking you for your PayPal account info or banking account info is a scammer.

They offered me $20 for a data entry position. I was licking my chops until they asked for my bank username and pssword.

How can you tell if you are being scammed?

I have interviewed for two jobs and they both turned out to be bogus.

How can I be sure that a person is representing an actual company?  

Are they allowed to ask for your address and phone number?

I have wasted hours on this!  And now I am getting so many scam emails!  

How can I avoid these problems?

thank you

Megan Raddant

@Megan R wrote:

How can you tell if you are being scammed?

I have interviewed for two jobs and they both turned out to be bogus.

How can I be sure that a person is representing an actual company?  

Are they allowed to ask for your address and phone number?

I have wasted hours on this!  And now I am getting so many scam emails!  

How can I avoid these problems?

thank you

Megan Raddant

Some of the things I look for are:

1.  Interview on Yahoo Messenger.

2.  There is really no reason for a client to need your address. (Exception:  I have been here 5 years and I have had one client that needed to mail the audios to me on a zip drive as he would not put them on the internet)

3.  They tell you they will send a check for "equipments".  Number one rule, if they offer to send you a check tell them it is agains the TOS and they will need to verify a payment method.  They will usually run.

4. They have invited over 100 people on the job posting.  (Mostly new people at that)

5.  They have an English name, claim they are from a well known company but you can't understand what they're typing.  

6.  NOBODY pays $30 or $40 an hour for data entry plain and simple.  If it is too good to be true, it probably is a scam.

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"

Hi Megan,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience on these jobs. Please report them directly to Support and include screenshots of your communication in the ticket, so our team could review and address them appropriately.

To help you work safely on Upwork, please have a look at tips and warning signs shared in this thread. Never share your ID, SS#, bank account details, Upwork and any other account and email login details with other users, and make sure you have an active contract before doing any work.

Here are a few other resources I'm sure you'll find very useful:

Untitled

I just got sucked into the same scam. It was a data entry job for a real company., and one of the things that they wanted was my username and password for my checking account so they could set up direct deposit for my paycheck. NOT!!!!!

I called the bank, and they said that that is not a requirement to set up direct deposit. When I challenged the "scammers", they called me every filthy name you can think of and that was that.

I let Upwork know that it was a phishing scam and they removed the job posting.

Beware!!!

Thanks for reporting this client, Judith!

You may want to check out this this thread and the Upwork Trust & Safety FAQ to help you work safely on Upwork.

~ Avery
Upwork

I just got off an interview and they asked me to close my Upwork account before they would proceed. I didn't and did the whole interview. In the end, they said they'd send me a check to buy equipment and wanted my personal info. 

Hi Dave,

Please send me a PM with more information by clicking on my name so I can check this for you. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

I didn't close it. I was invited to do the interview by text (very strange). I played along. They asked me 20 questions and she said she had to check with the higher-ups if I passed. She came back and said I got the job. What was weird (other than being asked to close my account before proceeding) was the offer was nothing like what was posted. I also had a simultaneous Upwork conversation with the person who originally notified me. I thought this person was with Upwork and I'm telling her what the other person was telling me about closing my account. She said, yeah, that's the online policy. After pausing for a moment, I saw that this person on Upwork was with the same company. 

When I really started getting suspicious is when she wanted me to give her my personal info over text and she said they'd send me a check to buy equipment. That, I've read is a known scam.

My question:
Did someone hijack the listing and pretend to be from that company? Or, is the job posting a scam? 
How can you tell? If it is the listing it should be reported, correct? 

I am very new here, so still navigating all these things. 

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Michelle,

I have forwarded your report to the team. They will review the posting and take actions accordingly.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hello Valerie,

Thank you very much, I have all documents, emails, and a transcript from our Skype interview.

I aslo have the email reply sent from the real company if needed **edited for Community Guidelines**

If there was better screening of new jobs, then ones like this shouldn't get into the system, or should at least only appear for a few hours. If it is flagged as spam by several people, why can't it be reviewd quickly and then removed?

Seems we have to take it to the help desk, where it takes many hours or sometines  days to get removed.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS