Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job listing shows verified payment, offer shows payment not verified

amt17
Community Guru
Annette E Member Since: Mar 17, 2018
1 of 9

A client that is new to Upwork has sent me a job offer a few hours ago. After the client sent the offer, the client's job listing updated to show "verified payment method", however, the offer itself shows "payment method not verified". In chat the offer is accompanied by "Amount in escrow" and the agreed amount. I'm very puzzled why the job listing shows payment verified and the offer itself doesn't.

Is there an explanation to this? I have no reason to believe the client isn't legit, on the other hand, I am reluctant to accept an offer that states that the payment method isn't verified.

I have submitted a ticket, and as the contract starts tomorrow, I would really appreciate a swift reply from one of the mods. Thank you.

nkocendova
Community Guru
Nina K Member Since: Nov 29, 2017
2 of 9

Hi Annette,

I see that the support team has already gotten back to you on your open ticket, regarding the client's payment verification status. You can check that here.

~Nina
amt17
Community Guru
3 of 9

Thank you, Nina.

I am told to disregard the offer saying "payment not verified" as the payment method is indeed verfied but for some reason hasn't updated on the offer. However, I need to be sure that the payment protection is still in place. 

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
4 of 9

Hi Annette, 

As confirmed on your support ticket, the client's payment method is verified, and is covered by the Upwork Payment Protection program. The team is currently investigating why the "verified payment method" is not showing, and you will be updated with more information on your open ticket. 

~ Avery
Upwork
amt17
Community Guru
5 of 9

It seems to have been a bug. Even though the client had indeed verified a payment method and also put money into escrow, the verified payment method did not show on the offer, nor automatically update afterwards. It seems that unless the payment method is verified prior to setting up a contract (and not during setting up a contract), the verified payment method won't show on the contract itself.

It has been sorted and the contract now shows correctly that the payment method is verified.

Thanks for the help.

amt17
Community Guru
6 of 9

I have received a second contract from the same client.

The last contract was paid last week, however, today Upwork declined the same credit card that was used for payment. A bit later today Upwork accepted the credit card.

Now, I once again have a contract that says that the payment source isn't verified and gives me a warning regarding lack of payment protection. The client's profile does say the payment source is verified. Either way, since Upwork has rejected the credit card once today, I need this sorted before I accept the contract. I have submitted a ticket and would really appreciate assistance today so I can accept the contract and start working. Thank you.

amt17
Community Guru
7 of 9

I have received a response to my ticket:

- the issue appears to be "more complex"

- the issue is "escalated to the Technical Support Team"

- the ticket is set to "on-hold"

Unfortunately, this does not at all address whether I can accept the contract and start working and it certainly is not a response I can take back to my client.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 9

@Annette E wrote:

I have received a response to my ticket:

- the issue appears to be "more complex"

- the issue is "escalated to the Technical Support Team"

- the ticket is set to "on-hold"

Unfortunately, this does not at all address whether I can accept the contract and start working and it certainly is not a response I can take back to my client.

Is the money in Escrow? (Shows as funded?) That means the money was successfully collected on the second attempt which resolved the issue.

Personally (as I am not risk adverse) I'd accept the contract. What's the worst that can happen? Maybe not submit it until it's fixed but if the amount is in Escrow and the payment method was successfully verified last week I'd not worry.

I have never not been paid for anything so maybe I just got complacent (I also work on unfunded milestones occasionally...)

amt17
Community Guru
9 of 9

Thank you, Petra.

According to the message that accompanies an offer in Upwork's chat, the money is in escrow. I am not aware if this actually appears on the contract itself?

I don't doubt that the client is legit and will pay, provided that Upwork accepts their credit card. It's the contract itself I'm concerned about. Last time Upwork had to "do something" to the contract. It seems the current contract needs more than the "doing to" since the issue has been escalated. In case the contract needs to be closed without payment, and a new contract opened since the issue is "more complex", my JSS - which I'm just a couple of weeks from getting - will likely plummet and Upwork seems almost religious in not adjusting the JSS regardless of the reason.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS