🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Job listings
Page options
colorcat3
Community Member

Job listings

Can someone please tell me why Up Works doesn't specify in a job posting when the client has hired/contracted with someone for the job. At present the information remains 'job open' until the job is completely finished. It would be very helpful for freelancers to save their connects, put their efforts on viable jobs and not apply for a job that has already got a contract, but isn't finished/closed yet. I realize there are some jobs which seek to hire multiple freelancers.  UpWorks could set up the job to show how many freelancers the client is seeking.  When it is a single freelancer job, there should be some designation so we knew they are no longer hiring.

We can see designations for Invites, interviews, etc. but are in the dark as to whether they have contracted with someone already.  Be nice to your freelancers.

12 REPLIES 12
tlsanders
Community Member

When a client hires someone, Upwork asks explicitly whether the client wants to close the job or leave it open. I do not know why so many clients choose to keep them open, but it is a conscious choice.

Fortunately, the number of hires on a job is easy to check, so a freelancer can determine in a couple of seconds whether or not the client has hired someone before deciding whether or not to bid.

Please clarify how it is so easy to see if the job is filled.  Here is the information on a recent job copied below.  If the client has only one job posted, I agree it is easy.  If they have more than one job posted, it is nebulous whether it is the job I wish to propose on or a different job listing that remains open.  3 jobs and only 2 hires.  Which of the 3 is still open?  I STILL maintain that UpWorks could clarify this for freelancers.

• 3 jobs posted
    67% hire rate, 1 open job
  • $200+ total spent
    2 hires, 2 active
  • Member since Oct 16, 2018

I STILL maintain that Up Works could clarify this for freelancers.

petra_r
Community Member

Kathy M wrote:

Can someone please tell me why Up Works doesn't specify in a job posting when the client has hired/contracted with someone for the job.

They do, perfectly clearly, unmistakably, right there on the job post, under "activity on this job.":

hired 1.jpg

Petra that is only clear if the client has only one job posted at a time.  See my reply and pasted example posted just now in reply to the other Guru responder.

Kathy M wrote:

Petra that is only clear if the client has only one job posted at a time.  

Nonsense. It refers to the precise job it is displayed under. Your example is the client's entire history and has nothing whatsoever to do with the job post. 

That's why it is under a heading that says "About the client" 

Ultimately it is up to freelancers to decide whether to apply or not, based on the information on the job post and their best judgment of whether applying for a job is worth their while. 

Yes Petra that is only clear if the client has only one job posted at a time.  See my reply and pasted example posted just now in reply to Tiffany, the other Guru responder, when the client has 3 jobs posted.

Kathy M wrote:

Yes Petra that is only clear if the client has only one job posted at a time.  See my reply and pasted example posted just now in reply to Tiffany, the other Guru responder, when the client has 3 jobs posted.

No, Kathy. What you copied and pasted and what Petra screen shotted are in two different places. The hire information she is showing is for that specific job, regardless of how many jobs the client has posted.

ETA: See where hers says "Activity on This Job"?

It does give that information. I take it into account myself when applying for jobs.

Yes I am aware that my first example is a different place than Petra's.  Here is another example from the same area as Petra's.

In the example (below which I tried to upload ) would you still send a proposal? -- If the client hasn't looked at the job in "11 days, interviewed 3, sent 4 invites", etc.  Then according to what you are saying I'm still getting jobs in my search that haven't been hired/contracted or looked at in up to a month?

In job areas with hundreds of listings a month, this may not be a problem for the freelancers.  In my job skills  (landscape design, plant choice) it can be days before a search turns up any new jobs.  I'm proposing on all of them and using up connects anyway but the clients aren't moving on the jobs.  I've been told that it is helpful to look at the past history of the client to see what percentage of jobs they've awarded.  One difficulty for me is that landscape jobs are not small fee jobs where one can bump up their ratings easily.  It seems to be a vicious circle.

Another question.

In Petra's example:  if they have hired as shown, why would the job show up in my job search?

Kathy M wrote:

Another question.

In Petra's example:  if they have hired as shown, why would the job show up in my job search?

Because for whatever reason they didn't choose to close the job.  They don't have to and they could hire multiple people.  I hired on a job once, I had someone that I really liked but then before I finally pulled the trigger I had another applicant come in that was just a better overall fit to the task.   So I hired him but I decided to hold over the job in case I decided to hire her.  

But I did make the job private after that so it wouldn't show up in searches but I didn't think of it immediately and someone else submitted before I did.

Thanks. I can see how that might be.
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths