🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Job not stated right
Page options
global_lau
Community Member

Job not stated right

So, a company posted a job asking for **Edited for Community Guidelines** and I applied for the position using 6 connects. They requested an interview, which we just had, and the interviewer ends up telling me that "the Customer Care positions are usually filled with people in their own market (Eastern Europe) but that they are willing to offer me a sales position"

I never requested, applied for, or even care about sales. Just hate the job, certainly not my metier, If I had known, or if it had been stated ANYWHERE on the job post what the job was really about, I would not have wasted not even one of my connects on that. It is a waste of time for me, for the company, and of money for me. JUST NOT MY THING.

Now, how do I ask for my connects back? Is there and UW customer care where I can go to dispute that? 

Thanks everyone!

Laura

8 REPLIES 8
petra_r
Community Member

Laura R wrote:

Now, how do I ask for my connects back? Is there and UW customer care where I can go to dispute that? 

I know how incredibly irritating this is (I am sure it has happened to everone) but there is no "getting the Connects back" every time a client offers you a position other than the one you applied for or similar circumstances.

Customer Support would break down if hundreds of thousands of freelancers kept contacting them every time they felt there was some reason or the other why they should get their connects back and "dispute" having used some connects on a job they did not get.

moonraker
Community Member

Laura R wrote:

If I had known, or if it had been stated ANYWHERE on the job post what the job was really about, I would not have wasted not even one of my connects on that. It is a waste of time for me, for the company, and of money for me. JUST NOT MY THING.

Thanks everyone!

Laura

It sounds to me as though the ad you replied may have been a genuine ad to a genuine position, only they have determined you are not ideally suitable for the role. Did the ad mention that they only want people from a certain market?

As for the sales job offer, it doesn't seem to me to be something to complain about. You weren't accepted for one job, but they presented you with another opportunity instead, which you are free to reject. 

This is very common for not very good companies: to offer one "tempting" position, but then offer you sales. They never stated anything about markets whatsoever, in that country, they dont originally speak English nor Spanish...They never mentioned a word about sales.... the job post was very clear, they had many questions, which I took the time to answer, but they didn't take the time to read. It is not that I wasn't accepted for the job because: my English or Spanish isn't good, or because my qualifications weren't the right ones... etc, etc... If they only wanted people from Croatia, they should have said so, and I wouldn't have wasted my connects, because guess what? I'm aware I'm not Croatian, nor do I speak the language, nor I¡m even planning to move there.... Anyways, found customer support

Laura - If they were offering you a sales position, that would probably be outside of Upwork. If so, that is not allowed and you can flag the job as inappropriate. I just did that with a job poster that was a scam - Upwork closed that job and gave me my connects (6) back.

Joan S wrote:

Laura - If they were offering you a sales position, that would probably be outside of Upwork.

Unless payment is not done via Upwork it is not an issue and there is nothing to report the client for.

There is certainly no reason at all to assume it would "probably" be outside Upwork. Lots of Sales jobs on Upwork (over the phone)

Noureldin Y wrote:

I feel you, as I bought in the last 30 days 640 connects.

You need to sop buying connects. You're doing something very wrong.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Noureldin Y wrote:

Rene K wrote:

Noureldin Y wrote:

I feel you, as I bought in the last 30 days 640 connects.

You need to stop buying connects. You're doing something very wrong.

that is because some clients that needs to be killed

No.

Rene is absolutely right.

If you really bought 640 connects in the last 30 days with next to nothing to show for it that proves that you have absolutely no idea what you are doing.

Noureldin Y wrote:

But I think that in the future, my target will be 20~30% conversion rate.

I suspect what they are trying to tell you is that applying for 106+ projects in 30 days is excessive.  You need to narrow down the target a little bit and decide that some things are not worth pursuing.  You also need to work on your UW-radar a little bit and pre-deterime some projects that are just a waste for everyone.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths