Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job offer from someone claiming to be *big company name here

m_roganovic
Community Leader
Marina R Member Since: Sep 30, 2016
1 of 15

Hi, 

I'm trying not to break any rules here by naming names or posting link. 

But here is the deal: 

1. I got my second job invitation from this company claiming to be a huge US company. The huge US company does have these jobs listed on their website, but nowhere does it say they are virtual. Actually, it's clear that they are looking for someone on the ground, at the office (need hands to do things, and role will require a lot of sitting down, etc)

2. The people that are contacting me say they are virtual. 

3. The invitation asks for my name and phone number to be sent to an address that has been created with a free email service: email at gmx.us or usa.com (they've actually given me two different accounts, I don't think they remember me from the first time they invited me) 

4. The email address from before the "at" usa.com or gmx.us is a differently spelled name of the real company. Let's say the company name is Liona (it's not), this person says on the post the name is Liona, but the email is something like lion at gmx.us or usa.com (again, not real email) 

What is it that you want me to do here? 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 15

Ignore these people. They are scammers. They are lying to you.

Until you have some established Upwork experience, ignore the invitations. They are all scam. Only focus on jobs you apply to.

Until you have some experience and can discern between real jobs and scams, don't google company names and employee names. That is how the scammers trick you. Don't go to other websites to find info about jobs. Look only at the info on Upwork's website.

I have completed 96 jobs on Upwork, with over 2000 hours. I have never googled company or employee names.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
3 of 15

re: "What is it that you want me to do here?"

Until you have a significant track record and work history on Upwork, you should immediate decline all invitations that you receive. Don't look at them.

This will change in the future for you. All of the invitations I receive are legitimate. All of the invitations you are receiving are scams. In the future you will receive legitimate invitations, too.

m_roganovic
Community Leader
4 of 15

Thank you for your response, Preston. 

And, I am aware of all of this. I always assume people are not telling the truth. I've been here three and a half weeks, and have 4 pretty nice clients, and all is well. 

I was asking more in a way of what does Upwork want me to do with this. 

I don't want to have that "I don't respond to things" on my stats page, it's already messed up and not accurate. 

I didn't google to prove that I should apply, I googled to make sure I shouldn't. The post seemed fishy in the first place. 

I wanted to make sure they are scammers, and at that point, wondered if I should bring this to Upwork's attention. I sent an email about it to two moderators last week, but haven't heard back. Now, this is the second time I'm hearing from this company, so I wanted to see if they should be reported. 

Hence the boards. 

csjarmitage
Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
5 of 15

When I was reporting jobs like this, I found that flagging was much less effective than putting in a ticket to customer service.  I'd suggest you do that, with a link to the job post.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
6 of 15

Marina, you are actually a lot smarter and more aware of what is going on than most newbies who post about scams.

To clarify: Freelancers SHOULD ALWAYS respond to invitations, so that you maintain a high responsiveness score.

But respond by declining their invitations.

This is advice for entry level freelancers who have no work history. After freelancers get some experience, they may begin to receive real invitations and they won't be wasting their time by looking at them.

m_roganovic
Community Leader
7 of 15

Thank you, Preston. 

I guess I can say I'm new to Upwork, but not to the world.

I just spent 4 months in Turkmenistan working as an accountant. There, when you're in charge of some money, mostly everyone is trying to trick you - all the time. Sufice to say it was a good learning experience for the world of internet work. Here, mostly everybody is trying to trick you, all the time, too. 

Gotta think rationally and not be desperate. And read the forums - all the time. 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
8 of 15

Keep in mind that you are under no obligation to investigate job invitations. It is perfectly fine to decline quickly without checking them out and without reporting them.

It depends on how you want to spend your time.

m_roganovic
Community Leader
9 of 15

I know. It's just - I see all these people falling for the scams on the forums all the time... and if I can help prevent one or two of those, it's better. 

But, yeah, at some point, it becomes too much time. 

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
10 of 15

Hi Marina,

Could you please submit a ticket and share information you posted here, along with the job details? It does sound like a questionable job so I'd like our team to have a look.

Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS