🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Job offer scam
Page options
edumust
Community Member

Job offer scam

That happened a few minutes ago. New Client from May 23, 2023 with verified payment, send me an $18/hour right away asking me promote his facebook page bellow. C

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

First he asked me my email address to send me "files", I proceeded to ask him to send things via upwork but he said it was "secret information". Sent him a fake email **Edited for Community Guidelines**and blocked him. 
I'm 90% sure this was a scam, what do you think?

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

5 REPLIES 5
fiorentini85
Community Member

Tomas Liano was the name contacted me yesterday, so a different name but same link and sent me a file with wetransfer but the file was a virus, I blocked everything and wrote to the facebook page to ask for information about whether he will work for that company.

Question now is how is possible report? how is it possible to be protected by upwork in this case?

edumust
Community Member

I don't think it's possible to stop this scammers or even report them, the best way to protect ourselves is to follow the red flags. I've seen multiple freelancers falling and giving their own email to these scammers. Thank you Frederiko for letting me know this  **bleep** talked to you too

fiorentini85
Community Member

In fact I gave my mail too but is not so important because I have the 2 fact so they can't do nothing in theory, I've scanned the pc for security with 3 antivirus, scammer adn log file and was clean, good for me.

But yes is better to pay attention at all, we live in a very strange world mate.

NikolaS

Hi Eduardo,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Please know that sharing contact information before a contract has started is against Upwork's Terms of Service and that all communications prior to the contract starting must take place on Upwork. I encourage you to let us know if a TOS violation has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here

Additionally, you may want to check this help article and this thread to help you stay safe on Upwork. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
hicham54
Community Member

I got the same offer from someone who asked me to run ads for him and wanted my email, I searched Google to see if it was a scam and found this community post with people who had the same experience.  luckily I didn't open the file they emailed me on Transferwise

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members