🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Job offer without bidding?
Page options
iti_j
Community Member

Job offer without bidding?

Hi everyone,

I just got a private offer for an hourly project. I've never worked with this client before and didn't bid for this project. I'm worried it might be a scam.

Is there a way I can see more details about the client or the project?

I've searched for the client's name, their company name, and the job title, but I can't find a public post for this project. I can't see the client's rating or reviews either.

Has anyone else had this experience?

Iti

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dsmgdesign
Community Member

Iti

Yes, I have had this experience with a small handful of clients. For me, these have been clients who knew exactly what they want, have a very particular skill set in mind, and don't have the time or patience to post a job blindly only to get a ton of unqualified applicants to weed through. Instead, they prefer to take control of their projects by sending their projects directly to candidates they feel is qualified for their job. With exception of maybe one of these clients, most of them have been great...decisive, close out their projects promptly after the work is finished, and leave great feedback. 

But, before you accept, you are now in the driver's seat. You can reach out and "interview" them, so to speak. They decided on you, but you now need to decide on them. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
sjbercot
Community Member

If you've received an offer, you should be able to view a related job post. They can't make you an Upwork offer without a job post.

If you've recieved a direct message that just talked about giving you the job (no contract, no button clicking to accept the offer), then it's not necessarily a scam. Some clients can directly message some freelancers now about jobs. I've gotten a couple. Spend as much time answering their questions or asking your own as you like, but definitely don't start working for them until you understand the requirements of the job and have a contract in place.

iti_j
Community Member

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for your help. It's definitely an offer because I have an accept and decline button. But no link to the original job post. Not in the offer and not in the messages. It's very strange.

Iti

sjbercot
Community Member

I see...I guess clients can hire without a related job posting and I don't know what I'm talking about! Is there a "Work Description" somewhere? How strange. Someone a bit more knowleadgeable than me will chime in.

iti_j
Community Member

I appreciate you trying to help though! 🙂

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Iti, 

I checked your account and can confirm that you received a direct offer from a client. When you receive a direct offer and visit the “View offer” page (by clicking on View details), you’ll be able to view details about the client (for example - location, hire rate, total amount spent, etc.) on the right side of the screen.

~ Avery
Upwork

...but you won't be able to see a list of their previous hires and feedbacks,  as you would normally. 

However in my experience clients who make direct job offers are usually (though not always) new to Upwork and clicked Hire rather than Invite because they don't yet know Upwork's system. 

Thanks Richard. I think you were right. They are new to Upwork.

iti_j
Community Member

Hi Avery,

Thanks for confirming it for me. I had already been on the "View offer" page.

Once I have been sent an offer, the hire rate becomes less important than the client's rating and reviews from other freelancers. Hopefully, Upwork will change their platform in the future to reflect this.

I appreciate your help.

Iti

dsmgdesign
Community Member

Iti

Yes, I have had this experience with a small handful of clients. For me, these have been clients who knew exactly what they want, have a very particular skill set in mind, and don't have the time or patience to post a job blindly only to get a ton of unqualified applicants to weed through. Instead, they prefer to take control of their projects by sending their projects directly to candidates they feel is qualified for their job. With exception of maybe one of these clients, most of them have been great...decisive, close out their projects promptly after the work is finished, and leave great feedback. 

But, before you accept, you are now in the driver's seat. You can reach out and "interview" them, so to speak. They decided on you, but you now need to decide on them. 

iti_j
Community Member

Thanks David, you were spot on! The client knew exactly what they wanted and were looking for a very specific skill set.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members