cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job offer without job link & without client history!

iaabraham
Community Guru

This morning I was sent a job offer (without applying, without any interviews) by a client that I haven't worked with before. He needs the work completed within 12 hours (apologized for the short time frame).

Seems legit and I would love to accept asap, but I can't see any link to the job (I assume it's private), nor can I see the client history (how do I know if he's verified/has good reviews?)

I've received private offers before, but usually the client explains how they found me, and I think in the past I was able to view some information about them, otherwise I would not have accepted.

Now, all I have is the offer page and the option to accept or decline. What on Earth am I supposed to do? I want to get started because this is a rush job, but I don't want to work with him if he has a sketchy history.

Is this another crazy Upwork design or am I missing something?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
oquintela
Community Guru

@Isabelle Anne A wrote:

This morning I was sent a job offer (without applying, without any interviews) by a client that I haven't worked with before. He needs the work completed within 12 hours (apologized for the short time frame).

Seems legit and I would love to accept asap, but I can't see any link to the job (I assume it's private), nor can I see the client history (how do I know if he's verified/has good reviews?)

I've received private offers before, but usually the client explains how they found me, and I think in the past I was able to view some information about them, otherwise I would not have accepted.

Now, all I have is the offer page and the option to accept or decline. What on Earth am I supposed to do? I want to get started because this is a rush job, but I don't want to work with him if he has a sketchy history.

I received one similar offer once. I contacted CS and they showed me the job and client history. I accepted the offer, and this client is now one of my long-term clients.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Isabelle Anne,

Currently the client has an option to send an offer to the freelacer directly, without it being associated with any job posting. You can still communicate with the client and discuss the terms of the contract and their company.

This is something that the team is working on improving. We want to make sure that the freelancer has all the necessary information about the client available in the job offer.

~ Valeria
Upwork
Anonymous User
Not applicable
This widget could not be displayed.

This is really strange. I reject such job offers directly as it is too suspicious for me: no info about the client, no info about the job. Yes, I can ask the client, he can tell me a lot and I cannot verify it. No, thank you! Bad for honest clients, however, there have to be minimal standards of getting in touch with freelancers. I am a freelancer and not a fair game.

evetodew
Community Guru

Hm, I'd probably politely decline.

In this case the client may be genuine, but with lack of (visible) client history and unclear payment method (is it verified or not?), making an informed decision is difficult, if not impossible. I'm hoping to see clients having profiles like us one day, so situations like Isabelle's would be non-existent.

and979
Community Guru

IMHO a client without a verified payment method should not have the possibility to post this kind of direct job offers, or at least the freelancer should have all the relevant parameters to determine if it's worth accepting such an offer.

At least, as Valeria suggested, you can always speak with your client before accepting this job.

Freelancer: Hey, is your payment method verified?

Client: Oh, yeah! *wink*

Freelancer: Awesome! I totally believe you!

Mmm, I don't think it works that way. Whatever Isabelle communicates with the client, the payment method is unclear and she may regret accepting if she trusts blindly. I wouldn't. I don't like assuming things, so either I know for sure, or I don't. If I don't know, I don't commit.

Isn't Upwork's job exactly this - to mediate and make sure things between the two parties are crystal clear? Communication in this case works only when discussing the job itself, not the payment or client history.

vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Evelina,

As a suggestion, you can ask the client to post an invite-only job and send you an invite, so you could access their information.

Untitled

Yes, that's an option, but I find that anything extra I ask the client to do (e.g. leave feedback, and similar) irritates them. They just want the job done with as little friction with the site as possible.

P.S. There's a great concept in design: 'If you don't notice it, then it's doing a perfect job'. Once additional requirements pop up you start noticing everything and get annoyed.

and979
Community Guru

Maybe it would just be easier if the system could clearly indicate every relevant detail about the client when he sends his private job offer. Because if a client fails to honour his payment, not only the freelancer loses his time and the money he had been working for, but also Upwork loses its 10%.

I am suffereing from a similar problem, though with a client I've worked with before. I have an open job but no way of accessing the job page to see the client's hostory between then and now.

I submitted a ticket and they eventually said it needed escalating as it was more complex than it looked. Then a week later they came back and said it was by design. Which to me is code for "if they can't find a reason for something, then say it's intentional (even if there can be no good reason for it as a design feature". How can there ever be a reason for having a job without a job posting with the clien's history on. Somebody messed up somewhere, and I won't hold my breath while they fix it.

oquintela
Community Guru

@Isabelle Anne A wrote:

I received one similar offer once. I contacted CS and they showed me the job and client history. I accepted the offer, and this client is now one of my long-term clients.

View solution in original post

iaabraham
Community Guru

Okay everyone I'll tell you what I did. 

I accepted the client's offer, because I like taking idiotic risks and because I'm desperate for higher-paid work. The client was happy with the initial document and has now asked me to do more work. 

He seems legitimate, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see if it was worth the risk. Will try what Olga did next time, but it's a little trickier for time-sensitive jobs.

This is a terrible Upwork flaw, especially since we're always told to choose our clients carefully. Please mods, ask the team to not just "work on improving" this, but actually improve/fix this.

Even though I'm doing it for my own JSS protection, I'd hate to have to interrogate every client who wants to hire me just because I can't view their profiles/histories.

@Isabelle Anne A wrote:

[…]

He seems legitimate, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see if it was worth the risk. Will try what Olga did next time, but it's a little trickier for time-sensitive jobs. […]

I did not submit a ticket; used chat instead, so answers were immediate.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS