cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job opportunities are sub-par at best

Celeste C Member Since: Jun 25, 2015
1 of 6

I have been on Elance for several years and recently took the leap over to Upwork. I have been digging and digging and do not see many viable job opportunities. 

The invitations I have been receiving are spammy, the clients are brand new or they are requesting work to be done outside of Upwork. 

When I search for jobs, I become very frustrated.  I will see several jobs with potential, the job budgets will state $100 and up but when I go into the actual description, it is only .35 or some ridiculously low amount.   I feel that the Clients and their jobs need some sort of screening process and a minimum payout that is at least $20.00

I will continue on but this is bleak and I am disappointed. Smiley Sad

Community Guru
Abdul R Member Since: Dec 4, 2014
2 of 6

Only way to wait till Elance clients will be on Up Work. Let's see when Elance will be Upwork. 

There is no exception may be I am wrong. 

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
3 of 6

Did you just create your account or did you pull your Elance account to Upwork? I'm waiting for the invite, because I think that will filter out a lot of the noob level stuff.

I've looked a little bit. I got invited to a sweet gig, but didn't hear back. Of course, there could be a ton of reasons for that, but not having a history kills part of my typical Elance proposal spin. Not having a history is a disadvantage for sure.

If you're doing well on Elance, I think it's a bit of a shock, but I see some stuff available. I don't see it too much different than Elance. There's a ton of bad on Elance too, and they even had to take security measures for escrow. 

It's going to be a challenge for sure, but I figure that if I could break into Elance, I can do the same here. I'm sure you can too.

Celeste C Member Since: Jun 25, 2015
4 of 6

My Elance account has been pulled over to Upwork via the Invite I received a couple of months ago. I have done really well on Elance which may be why I am frustrated with Upwork. 

You are right, there are also bad jobs on Elance, maybe I am just better at filtering them out on Elance.  

I know it is possible to be successful but I am surprised at all the spammy job invites I have received so far on Upwork. 

Community Guru
John B Member Since: Feb 20, 2009
5 of 6

The world is your oyster...

The world is what you make it...through hard work and determination and talent.

From ZERO to HERO -> that's what I would call my journey on Elance/oDesk/Upwork since starting in Feb 2009.

$5.56 per hour to start with...now getting towards esoteric hourly rates especially after exchange rates.

The concept is...get your foot in the door and then move up and out.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
6 of 6

@Celeste, I know dem feels. Smiley Happy  I saw a couple jobs that I almost applied for and then went back to good ol' faithful Elance. I'm a creature of habit, and I think lots of us are. It's a bit of a shock to change scenery. I'm sure you'll do OK.

@John, same here. I think my first gig was 4,000 words for $80. @@  The guy was nice but he wanted to talk on the phone and yadda yadda for $80. Those first gigs were ugh.

Once the foot is in the door though, the bidding world is indeed your oyster.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS