🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Job posted, says payment verified, but can't ...
Page options
k_pitman
Community Member

Job posted, says payment verified, but can't submit proposal...says "Job no longer available"???

How can a job remain posted, says payment is verified, but when you try to apply to it, says "job no longer available." If it wasn't available, shouldn't it be taken down?

k_pitman_0-1653091420153.png

8 REPLIES 8
pgiambalvo
Community Member

It will be, eventually. And payment verified is no indication at all whether a job or client is legitimate or not.

I don't think I've ever seen a scammer with verified payment though.

There are plenty of them. Just read all the people telling their stories of being scammed. Almost all of them mention that one of the reasons they trusted the scammer was because they did have a verified payment method. Unfortunately, many freelancers, especially new ones, believe this means Upwork has determined that the client is legit and can pay, which is not the case. Client's ID's aren't verified in the same way freelancers' are.

They exist.  There are several things they do: 

1) They don't fund the full agreed amount into escrow (freelancers very often don't check this before starting work). 

2) They keep asking for changes (on a fixed-price job) to get free work and to avoid paying

3) They create a chargeback (a violation of Upwork's ToS), for which the freelancer is responsible

4) They tell the freelancer they will pay by bonus (the most insecure form of payment) and then not pay at all. 

One just has to develop a very good sixth sense, when it comes to assessing a job/client. 

12a912ee
Community Member

Hi Kevin,

The client's account maybe under investigation for breach of Upwork's ToS or something, that's usually why those error appear.

Hi,

My proposals are getting lot of notice and getting lot of interview invitations as well however the client always invite to talk on telegram and then the job post is cancelled on upwork. i am a newbie here. Can you please help me what is happening?

Hi Neha,

It is a violation of Upwork’s Terms of Service to request or share contact information before a contract starts. You can check this help article for crucial information that will help you have a safe and successful journey on Upwork. Please use the Report Suspicious User Activity feature whenever you see a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service.

~ AJ
Upwork

Those aren't clients, those are scammers who are trying to steal money from you. New freelancers rarely get invitations from real clients. If you want to have any chance of getting data entry work, you'll need to reduce your hourly rate; you're competing against many experienced freelancers who only charge $3-5/hour.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members