cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Job posts that are archieved

Md. Muqarrab H Member Since: Aug 20, 2011
1 of 11

Hi,

I was wondering if we could get the connects back if a job post is archieved or if the client has taken down the project.

But not if a client has already hired someone. In this case I don't need the connects back.

Any thoughts?

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
2 of 11

It isn't the client who archives the job. If you bid on a job and it is awarded to someone else, then it is automatically archived by Upwork. So you do not get your connects back.

If a job stays unawarded, then it will stay in your proposals until Upwork eventually archives that too.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Dawn L Member Since: Sep 3, 2015
3 of 11

@Nichola L wrote:

It isn't the client who archives the job. If you bid on a job and it is awarded to someone else, then it is automatically archived by Upwork. So you do not get your connects back.

If a job stays unawarded, then it will stay in your proposals until Upwork eventually archives that too.

Nichola,

Are you sure the proposals get archived if the client rewards the job to someone else? I have active candidacies that have not been archived yet, even though the client awarded the job to someone else. I think the client may have to physically decline a proposal in order for it to get archived. Just trying to figure out why they're still showing up in my active candidacy list if the client has, in fact, awarded the job to someone else. Think that rules me out as a "candidate", don't you? lol

Although, I do agree, it's not the client who's archiving things, its the Upwork system. I used to think that we should get those connects back, but after discussing it with other freelancers here on the board, and thinking things through, it does make sense that we lose those connects. Most of the time, regardless of having a paid membership or not, if you're selective while bidding, and only bidding on projects that you know you're qualified for and capable of completing, you'll likely have more connects than you can use in a month anyway.

Community Guru
4 of 11

Somwhere on one of my posts, Valeria confirmed this. I can't find it. Sometimes a client leaves a job open, in which case it would not be archived. (Although after a time, when there has been no activity, it does get archived)

Community Guru
5 of 11

I see. I wasn't sure if maybe that's how it was supposed to work, but was bugged, or if Upwork removed/replaced that feature. I've noticed it happen quite frequently, and couldn't figure out why it still listed me as an active candidate even though the job was awarded to someone else.  I could understand it if it was for a job where they specifically listed that they were looking for more writers, but I rarely apply to those types of jobs lol.

Thanks for the explanation, Nichola!

Community Guru
Cathleen C Member Since: Aug 17, 2015
6 of 11

Ug, yet another thing I dislike about Upwork. I want to archive my own proposals and jobs. They are meddling too much.

Community Guru
7 of 11

I'll drink to that Cathleen. And also(OT, I know), I wish Upwork would introduce that incredibly useful feature that lets you know, when you bid for a job, if you have already sent previous bids to the same client for different projects, and shows you the original bid(s).

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
8 of 11

Hi Muqarrab,

Nichola is correct, if the client hired another freelancer and closed the job, the proposal will be archived but connects will not be returned to you. If the client (or Upwork) cancels the job without hiring anybody, the connects used to apply for the job are returned.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
9 of 11

Thanks Valeria for the explanation.

Out of curiosity, why doesn't Upwork simply auto-close contracts as soon as the job is awarded to someone? I've seen other platforms have something similar to this set up (maybe Elance did?).  I know personally, I do go back through my "active candidacies" list to check to see if a project was awarded to someone else, as well as to check on the activity level on that project from the client (i.e. last viewed X days ago). Something like this could save the freelancers some time when applying for new jobs as well as eliminate the need for people like myself to review previously submitted proposals. And the automation of it would free up some time on the client's end as well, so they don't have to manually close out the job when they've awarded it to someone else.

If it's just to allow clients to hire multiple freelancers for the same job (maybe paid sample test, or whatever), then the client could simply select  the "hiring X number of freelancers" when posting the job, and in cases of paid samples to choose the best fit they could put in that in the job description.

I'm not a client, so I don't know for sure how time consuming something like this could be for them, but to me, theoretically it shouldn't be any more time consuming.

Md. Muqarrab H Member Since: Aug 20, 2011
10 of 11

I agree with Dawn about auto-close contracts as soon as the job is awarded to someone.

Yes, it's better to be automated.

I think clients who post a job and then decide to take down the job, in this case connects should be refunded.

These connects are very valuable to freelancers. 

But there is an option to buy connects anyway.

Thanks all.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS