cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Job search - can we filter out jobs that require minimum JSS

Community Guru
Mandy D Member Since: Jul 29, 2013
1 of 17

Most of the jobs I look at require a minimum 90% JSS.  As I can only see this once I have opened the job it is really a waste of my time. 

I do submit proposals to those I really like, but am pretty sure no client ever reads them as I don't meet the requirements.

Is there someway we can filter out these jobs?  And, if not why not?

Ritu R Member Since: Jul 20, 2016
2 of 17

Everyone is suffering from this . Upwork has set 90% JSS and Rising Talent as a default to each job , now its upon client if he wants to remove it, can remove . I checked as compare to first week when this rule applied , now more jobs are come without 90% JSS , mostly from client who have posted already few jobs on upwork . fresher clients doesn't know about this so , JSS and Rising Talent come as default on there jobs .

Let's see may be upwork undo this feature in future because most of feelancer feels difficult to get jobs, now a days on upwork!!

Community Guru
MERCY N Member Since: May 6, 2015
3 of 17

Mandy wrote: 

I do submit proposals to those I really like, but am pretty sure no client ever reads them as I don't meet the requirements.

I agree it would be great to be able to sieve jobs in the manner you suggest. However, some clients, especially those who understand the whole mechanics of JSS, do check out applicants even when they fall below the 90% score they preferred. 

For instance, I 'lived' between 95% and 100% JSS for ages, then following a series of events triggered by one unfortunate incident I dropped to 89% where I've dwelt since then as I haven't done any jobs here since that fiasco. I recently applied for a job that called for 90% JSS and the client shortlisted me for interview. At some point he told me I was the frontrunner so far, but that he still wanted to conduct one more interview and would get back to me the following day. The one day turned into three days and the 4th day he reverted to me, apologized for the delay, and expressed his wish to offer me the job. 

Why the long story? It's to let you appreciate from a practical example that the JSS need not deter you from applying for jobs you believe you can perform well, especially if you have a history to back you up. For contractors without a long history to back them up, I'd do what I used to do when I was new on the site - offer a rate attractive to the client.

Keep hope alive - even when connects are fast eroding without a single positive response... Smiley Happy

Community Guru
4 of 17

Thanks Mercy. 

It's a bit disheartening when you see "20 to 50 applicants" and you are neither a "Rising Talent" nor have any JSS rating.  Chances are slim that you will even get a look at from clients.  But I'll just plod along.

Shannon E Member Since: Jan 1, 2017
5 of 17

I LOVE THAT ANSWER! Thank you!

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
BEST ANSWER
6 of 17

Hi Mandy,

I will share your suggestion about additional filters by client preferences in the Job Search with the team. 

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
7 of 17

Thank you Valeria.  That would save a lot of time and frustration.

Shannon E Member Since: Jan 1, 2017
8 of 17

Did anyone ever add this feature to the filters? I had the same question... how in the world does one get jobs when you have to meet requirements that are not available to newbies until you complete 8 jobs...??? 

That does not make sense to me, at all. 

Also, I had Rising Talent status the very first week of being on Upwork, as I was awarded a project or two although I did not meet their minimum requirements... my voice is awesome... but, I had someone, not sure who because all of my clients have been satisfied with my turnaround, gave me a sub-par 'secret' review, and it got snatched right off my profile... that seems pretty degrading... if a Rising Talent status is something that can be stripped, maybe there should be no such thing.. it does nothing for an artist's self esteem when you giveth and then taketh away. Anyway, i digress... I want to see projects that do not require 90% success scores or Rising Talent status... as I am no longer considered that... sheesh!

Shannon Edwards

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
9 of 17

@Shannon E wrote:

1) Did anyone ever add this feature to the filters? I had the same question... how in the world does one get jobs when you have to meet requirements that are not available to newbies until you complete 8 jobs...??? 

2) Also, I had Rising Talent status the very first week of being on Upwork, as I was awarded a project or two although I did not meet their minimum requirements... my voice is awesome... but, I had someone, not sure who....

1) You don't need 8 contracts to get a JSS, you need 4 from a minimum of 3 different clients.

2) You have one contract with only 4 stars. That is almost certainly the one that caused your loss of Rising Talent status.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
10 of 17

Hi Shannon,

No, filter by JSS hasn't been added. The JSS requirement, for example "At least 90%" is something you'll see when clicking into the job post from Job Search results. I'll share the input with our team, but currently we don't have immediate plans to develop this functionality.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS