Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job search - negative keywords

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
1 of 9

Since there seems to be no relevant improvement regarding the job search algorithm and the job feed - how about giving us the option to use negative keywords? I don't want to see anything related to Amazon or eBay in my feed. Also, I would like to exclude all web development, back linking, eBook & SEO writing and VA stuff - even though I am still interested in most other things German. I am only interested in the language pair ENG-GER, not German-Polish /Swedish /Hebrew /Thai /Russian etc.

Please.

ETA: How about an additional option in the "thumbs down" menu: Farmer

Highlighted
This widget could not be displayed.
2 of 9
This widget could not be displayed.

@Ela K wrote:

Since there seems to be no relevant improvement regarding the job search algorithm and the job feed - how about giving us the option to use negative keywords? I don't want to see anything related to Amazon or eBay in my feed. Also, I would like to exclude all web development, back linking, eBook & SEO writing and VA stuff - even though I am still interested in most other things German. I am only interested in the language pair ENG-GER, not German-Polish /Swedish /Hebrew /Thai /Russian etc.

Please.

ETA: How about an additional option in the "thumbs down" menu: Farmer

Just a simple Boolean Search that can be saved and the ability to delete jobs that are not relevant would be very helpful. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
3 of 9

I really like this idea. 

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
4 of 9

Thank you for posting your feedback Ela, I'll share it with Tam and the team.

Highlighted
Employee
Tam L Employee Member Since: Aug 31, 2015
5 of 9

Hi all - 

You can already do this today. It's not a very apparent feature, and well... I'll create a write up on how to best use it. 

In Ela's case, try this - 

https://www.upwork.com/o/jobs/browse/?page=2&q=(german%20AND%20english)%20AND%20NOT%20(ebay%20OR%20a...Smiley Sad

I took a stab at turning most of your request into a string you can manipulate [emphasis on most - you'll have to add a few other parameters which you can easily do once you see how the string is constructed].

The easiest way to get this started is to use the advance search option, which you can find under the search field. 

From there it's just a matter of putting the terms and logic into the field [be careful with the logic though]. 

To begin the construction for Ela's string I:

1. Clicked advanced search
  2. In "all of these words" I put the keywords: german english [I want both terms in the search result. If I wanted either, I would've used the "any of these words" option]
  3. In "exclude these words" I put in: ebay amazon "web development" [I want to exclude this particular term - not web OR development] backlinking
  4. In "skills" I put in: translation-english-german [and here's the trick that needs to be called out] I then did NOT translation-german-polish [to exclude openings that have this skill called out]

Ela, please take a look at this and let me know if it gets you closer to your desired feed. If it doesn't, let me know what else I can do. 

If anyone else needs any help/has any questions, let me know and I'll get back to you when I can. I'll also create a write up/FAQ so that this info is more easily found. 

Thanks everyone!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
6 of 9

Thanks, Tam.

Many search functions allow the use of simple and intuitive text within the search field: quotation marks for an exact match of a phrase; minus sign for exclusion; typing AND and OR operators directly without having to go to a separate page and using dropdowns and logical descriptions. Is any of this on Upwork's search roadmap?

Best,

Michael

Highlighted
Employee
Tam L Employee Member Since: Aug 31, 2015
7 of 9

Hey Douglas - 

You can do the AND and OR already. Again, it's not super clear, if at all, but it works like that now. 

Example: you can input directly into the 'regular' search field: ruby NOT "ruby cucumber".

With a combination of parentheses you can even do: (ruby NOT "ruby cucumber") OR (python NOT scraping)

Example link:

https://www.upwork.com/o/jobs/browse/?q=(ruby%20NOT%20%22ruby%20cucumber%22)%20OR%20(python%20NOT%20...

When you use the advanced search fields, it just gives you more granular control so you could so something like:

search for writing but exclude results that have the skill blogging listed.

As for improvements for these features being on the roadmap, at this exact moment [7:46ish PM], no. However, I've been thinking about this for some of my afternoon [e.g. Ela shouldn't have to exclude so many things to find what she wants, rather she should be able to say something like 'strict match'], and after this discussion here, I want to invest time into making this more intuitive. So - keep an eye out [this isn't a tomorrow/next week sort of change though - just a heads up]! 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
8 of 9

OK, thanks!

So wouldn't the simpler way be the better way to document the options?

Best,
Michael

Highlighted
Harsha H Member Since: May 20, 2020
9 of 9

Hello Upwork team,

Any ideas if you plan on making such a feature available. A negative keyword list in searches will be incredibly valuable in getting relevant search results.

Regards,

Harsha

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS