🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Job sorting Filters
Page options
redalkemiinc
Community Member

Job sorting Filters

I'd like to make a few suggestions for the job filters.

As an agency, we have been very specific in picking the jobs we'd like to bid on and also have a checklist for our team to follow while pitching for jobs, the criteria for which could range from the buyer being verified, amount of earning, $ paid per hour etc.

What I would love to see is an ability to filter on the basis of:

- buyers looking specifically for top rated agencies/freelancers

- $value paid per man hour

- feedback for them left by providers

- percentage of hire rate

- total spend so far

These are over and above all the "very useful" filters that already exist, and are the ones I tend to miss not having. This level of shortlisting needs manual review of jobs, which is not a huge problem, but adds to the time spent looking for the right people to work with.

Additionally, a couple of other things that I wonder about are:

1. Once bid on a job, there is no telling whether the job got allocated to anyone or whether we got rejected. We only get a notifications on random jobs, saying it is now closed/archived, which is not very useful information. In the past Elance had a better way of handling this aspect.

2. Does a buyer also need to pay for the job he posts, since it seems to me that while it costs the service provider for the bidding on a project, the buyer does not have to dish out any money, therefore can be frivolous about posting jobs, and simply cancelling/ignoring them after getting so many vendors to pay for their application. Not sure if this is true, but would love to know.

Am comparatively new on Upwork so its possible some of these are there but I dont know. Any help will be appreciated. 

Cheers - Anuja

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

2 REPLIES 2
flrgx
Community Member

Anua,

I understand your concerns, but as a freelancer, I have found the issue to be the opposite. Clients who post frivolous or unrealistic jobs will typically get ignored, flagged as inappropriate or will only get the worst applicants, reducing the overall reputation of that client.

However, freelancers were until recently, able to apply to a wide range of jobs, for as low a price as possible, causing the value of everyone else's work to be percieved as worthless. As such, someone like yourself, who runs an agency and needs to pay workers, whilst also making a margin, had to compete against people who would develop a PHP website for $10. It didn't matter that the end result was rubbish, the mere fact that they'd applied for it and got the job meant that client was no longer available. Also, if the work was the quality equivalent to the price, then the client would potentially think that all Upwork freelancers were useless or scammers.

Upwork needs to be able to pull in a consistent list of clients, so charging them to list jobs is like charging you to walk into a car yard. Upwork charges freelancers to list and to work, so that clients know they are taking no risk posting a job.

Thanks Damon, other than justifying why clients don't pay for job listings, you haven't addressed my other concerns/queries/suggestions.

Cheers -  Anuja 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members