cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job success rate low

Highlighted
Matthijs V Member Since: Apr 23, 2017
1 of 6

Hi, thanks for taking your time to help me.

I am using Upwork for about 6 months now. 

My JSR is incredible low. 73% and can't get any work anymore.

Please look at my reviews (Attachments) and explain me why my JSR is so low. and how I can get this to minimum of 90% again.

Also, I had first a 100% completed profile. 

And randomly it went to 90%

How is this possible?!

Will be waiting for an anwser, thanks!

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Abbey B Member Since: May 14, 2016
2 of 6

You can find many, many answers to this if you just search 'job success score' in the forum section. Long story short: your problem is likely bad private feedback. Some clients don't want to cause a confrontation by giving bad public feedback, so they'll give a good score in public and a bad one in private. You've also only had six jobs, so even that one bad review is going to hurt you. 

There's more information here: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/115006097327

I know it sucks. I have a score of 88% in a job in a where most of the people want a 90% JSS or higher freelancer, but it is what it is. Upwork isn't going to change their system unless they start losing a lot of money. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
3 of 6

That one really bad review is likely having a significant impact on your JSS because you have so few jobs--though it was only one job, it's 1/6 of your score. Even if the calculation were straight success/failure based on your star ratings, that job would drop you to 83%. But, there are other factors as well, such as private feedback. If a client scored you lower privately than publicly or just picked something like 7 or 8 on how likely he was to hire you again thinking that was a decent score, it would knock you down....again, more than it would a more established freelancer because you have so few jobs.

The best thing you can do is target only jobs that are a perfect fit for your skills--jobs you're so well suited to that the client may look at your experience over your JSS--and do a great job with those jobs.  Each new rating will reduce the impact of that one bad rating.

You may also want to call out your history in your proposal, to counter the JSS they see at first glance. Don't mention the JSS, but maybe say something like, "I've received a perfect 5-star rating for five of the six jobs I've completed on Upwork."

Highlighted
Matthijs V Member Since: Apr 23, 2017
4 of 6

Is there an option so only the freelancer himself can see the private feedback?

Or is it only the client itself that can see it?

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
5 of 6

Hi Matthijs,

Only the party that leaves the private feedback will be able to access it.

Highlighted
Merissa H Member Since: May 15, 2019
6 of 6

So, clients can lie to you? They can fake good reviews, but leave bad ones?! That doesn't seem fair. I have a poor jsr, and have only done one job, but was rated by two clients. I got a good rating on the job I actally did.

The other client on my account was bad because the client lied to me about what the job was before I accepted it. Then, he would constantly harrass me all night. He would send me messages at 3 am my time saying "why aren't you responding? You need to be more responsive!" He said it was blogging about relationships and led me to believe it was something it wasn't. After I agreed to the job, he sprang on me that the blogs were actually to teach men how to sleep with a whole bunch of women. I am a Christian, and could not do that, per my religious stance. I emailed Upwork at the time about this, and they said if I close the account, he can rate me whatever he wants, and the best thing to do is to just leave it open. So I did. I think the client finally closed it after several years. I am very angry. Where is the protection for freelancers? I began to feel unsafe because of all his harrassment. He made demeaning comments to me about women, harrassed me day and night, lied to me and now I can't get a job on here because he was allowed to rate me. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS