cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job success rating is broken, here is why

Nikola M Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
1 of 10

First, a bit of backstory: I was top rated freelancer, until I got my account suspended for some misunderstanding that happened and that was taken care of. It was my fault, and it cost me my top rated status. I deserved it. 

But in few weeks before/after that happened, I noticed my Job Success rate was going down. It was 100%, now it is 88%. I started wondering why is that? I had 7 jobs so far. 6 closed, paid, fantastic reviews from clients, on almost all of them got tips, generally, only nice words. 7th job is a contract I am still working on, huge contract, working on it for past 3 months.

Hmm, that is weird. All of my clients were super satisfied, wanted to work with me again, I still have a great relationship with almost all of them, but why did my job success rate plunge down? I started reading anything I could find on that topic on this website, contacted support more times then I should have, still, I couldn't pinpoint exact reason why it was happening. Then, today while I was talking to support, he told me they take into consideration "Did I meet the deadline". 

And that what is UpWork doing wrong. Sure, I gave my client 7 day turn around. But, that was for a 5 page basic website. After I talked with my client, he changed his idea based on my feedback, and decided he wanted bigger website, that would have 30+ pages. He moved the deadline, but only way we could have moved the deadline on UpWork is not that simple. He would have to close this contract, make a new one, I would have to submit my proposal, he has to accept it, etc, etc. 

Client is not there to do that. It is not friendly for him. He is there to get his job done. 

I think it is very bad practice from UpWork. The thing that I helped my client do their project correctly, I got more work for me (equals more work for UpWork, bigger commission), is costing me chances of getting a new job.

This was not the case only with that job. I had things like this, were clients changed their mind midway and wanted something bigger. It happened in 4 out of 6 jobs I closed so far. But my clients all LOVED the job I did, and the time frame I did it in. 

There are number of ways this can be taken into consideration when calculating job success rate, but curent way of calculating it is just wrong. At the moment, I will suffer because of I helped my clients to get their projects done the correct way, instead of just getting letting them spend money on something that won't work like they planned, and I think UpWork needs to improve this. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Javier M Member Since: Sep 16, 2015
2 of 10

Hi Nikola,

your post makes sense to me but remember JSS is hidden to avoid this kind of debates.

You may be right or not and upwork could not care less about it.

It is evil I know but that is the approach they decided to follow.

Regards,

Javier

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 10

The deadline that is set up on the contract is irrelevant for the JSS - and an open job with activity 

(assuming that over those 3 months payments have been made and milestones set?) does not affect your JSS negatively, so this job isn't what affected yours.

PS - I just looked - I do not see an active fixed rate contract on your profile... Has nothing been paid on that contract? Have you worked 3 months for free?

That may be what made your JSS drop - contracts that are dormant for a long time with no activity can do it ... Nothing to do with the deadline,  if it is anything to do with that contract it's the "deadness."

Highlighted
4 of 10

That is not what support has told me. They told me that that deadline you set at the beginning is a part of your JSS score. 

And that 3-month contract is not fix rate contract, it is hourly, and I have been receiving money from it every week for past 3 months, so that is not the case, but I appreciate your help. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 10

@Nikola M wrote:

That is not what support has told me. They told me that that deadline you set at the beginning is a part of your JSS score.

That was wrong info you were given.... It does 'NOT' affect you.

If you had account suspension(s) that might do it.

Are there any "dead" contracts - that were started at some point and never worked on?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
6 of 10

Looking at his profile I'd say there is something wrong.

Every job is 5 *

Every job left feedback.

One job is ongoing and over 3 months.

No jobs marked No Feedback.

How does he get to 88% ?

Actually after looking at a lot of profiles after the update yesterday and seeing what happened with my own, it does seem like something is wrong. 

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
7 of 10

Hi Nikola,

Let me assert that while the actual Milestone date your client initially set doesn't affect the Job Success Score directly, you need to always communicate with your clients and make sure they are aware and agree with an extended deadline, because, as the Support stated, clients do share their feedback about your adherence to deadline on their project.

Highlighted
8 of 10

I am aware of that, and I am always doing that. From the feedback I got from my clients, they were all more than happy with everything, including the time they got their work done.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
9 of 10

Unless your clients took issue with you not meeting their (original) deadlines, e.g. by way of giving you less than stellar private feedback, you have been misinformed.

The JSS doesn't care about milestone deadlines. 

CS has been giving out some really flawed information lately. Recently, after flagging a job posting, I was told that it's OK for clients to post the same job multiple times, insinuating Upwork can choose to tolerate this "as long as it doesn't spam the market place". That's nonsense, as it's a clear violation of Upwork's ToS (which was confirmed later by a more senior CS rep).

They really need better training.

Edited to add: does your My Stats page show an account hold? In case it does, that may well be the reason for your JSS drop. This is what Valeria (a moderator) wrote in another thread regarding suspension/account hold & its effect on the JSS:

"Additionally, as I see you have 0 recent account holds. These two suspensions were not included as they were not due to policy violations or performance review. Therefore your Job Success score was not affected by those short suspensions and it went down for other reasons."

Highlighted
10 of 10

I have one account hold, so maybe it is because of that. But, first time my job success rate went down, it was before that, so I am not sure.. Thanks for letting me know that!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS