cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job success score is UNFAIR and should be changed.

Danny K Member Since: Oct 7, 2018
11 of 73

Here's what I know, I've completed my projects successfully, but my score is 84%, the system is broken, and is working against the freelancer.
JSS shouldn't be counting so many different factors that are outside of the freelancers control against the freelancer.
I wouldn't care so much if at least I could hide the JSS, but I can't and I know for a fact I am losing projects over this issue as my job offers deminishing significantly since I went beneath 90%, which means my livelyhood is hurt while I am a top performing freelancer and all my clients are satisfied, this cannot be, do you see how this system at it's current state does not work and the JSS is broken? it may make sense on paper, but in reality this is what's happening.
As of now, there are two ways of rating a freelancer, the star reviews are fine, I can live with those, but then you also have the JSS which significantly affects jobs and income.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
12 of 73

@Danny K wrote:

Here's what I know, I've completed my projects successfully, but my score is 84%, the system is broken, and is working against the freelancer.

Did one of your contracts end without any payment (ever) or is still open without anything ever having been paid? If so, which one?

Community Guru
Brian F Member Since: Jun 4, 2013
13 of 73

"The clients don't know about the rules and reasons behind the JSS, they only see less than 100% and immidately assume the freelancer  is untrustowrthy, this is a serious issue and should be dealt with all seriousness.
Or at least have the option of being able to hide this score, at least for those who pay a premium.
Leave the project reveiws I don't mind that, but the JSS is a stumbling block instead of being an accurate reflection of a freelancer's worth."

I have been trying to make the same points.  Make your voice heard and encourage others who feel the same to do the same.

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
14 of 73

I completed all my projects with success but my score is 84% when it should be 100%.
Please advise.

Prove it. 

Alex P Member Since: Oct 28, 2018
15 of 73

Lol very unhelpful

Community Guru
Sanja D Member Since: Dec 18, 2013
16 of 73

what's the number next to   "clients who would recommend you" on your stats screen?

Danny K Member Since: Oct 7, 2018
17 of 73

Petra no, I never had any projects without payment who were closed.
My score should be 100% unless I was continously providing bad service to my clients. 3 strikes and your out would be a more acceptable reason to lower ones score and ONLY if the customer complained and there was a VERY good reason for the strikes to happen in the first place.

It's like upwork is shooting itself in the foot, you are punishing freelancers for the clients mistakes. the JSS is not even necessery, I would vote to get rid of that thing altogether, it serves no purpose other than hurt the livelyhoods of those who are trying to make it on this platform.
Not offering live chat for those of us who pay premium is also completely unacceptable, I am quite shocked that upwork is making millions from it's freelancers but doesn't even have a team to review and provide an ACCURATE score on the freelancer's JSS, **edited for Community Guidelines**
So please upwork, stop slaping the ones who keep you going and are allowing you to make those expensive youtube commercial videos. yes I've seen them, with the rock's presidential campaign and on and on, those are expensive ads.
It's fair to say I am extremely disapointed by how this is handled and am shocked that there are over 125 pages of people who already complained and commented about this issue but yet without a resolve, heck as far as I can tell not even a nudge! all I get from customer support is, that's how it is and there's nothing we can do about it, really? then why am I paying a premium? to get kicked in the butt?
IF the plan is to drive freelancers away, it's working, otherwise, drop the JSS, it serves no purpose, star ratings are more than enough, and if there are problematic freelancers or clients their star rating will show and should be flagged in extreme cases.
If you do decide to stick with the JSS and not get rid of it, considering doing a major make over to that thing.

Community Guru
Brian F Member Since: Jun 4, 2013
18 of 73

If you are at 100% and you get critical feedback, the score should be lowered, asking it to stay 100% seems unrealistic, but it should be a much different scoring system than it currently is, that's for sure...  I"m with you in asking for a more fair transparent system that doesn't penalize freelancers for client behavior, among other things...

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
19 of 73

Danny,

I don't want to belabor the issue, but in your https://www.upwork.com/my-stats/ page, what does it display for "Clients who would recommend you"?

If it's over 90%, then you might have a legitimate grievance.

20 of 73

@John
well...yes...and no.

My client recommendation is 91% (it was 92% when I moved from Elance). My JSS went from 100 to 87, and stayed 87 for almost six months - now it's fantastic 88...meh.
So - it probably does count, but no one in upwork knows how big part in that calculation recommendation plays..
I'd suggest to get rid of the stars thing altogether and leave only private feedback - that way clients won't be pressured by unprofessional freelancers begging for 5 stars,  and  they will stop  posting  different public and private  feedback 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS