cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job success score is UNFAIR and should be changed.

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
41 of 73

@Petra R wrote:

@Danny K wrote:

The problem is the way the JSS is setup to count job success %, the title in itself even don't make any sense, I've completed 100% of all of my jobs but my "JOB success" was at around 84%

So how about a contract open for months but nothing ever paid?

I think he thinks that the job success score is a job "completed" score--like you should get 100% as long as you turn something in. 🤷

Ace Contributor
Melissa R Member Since: Nov 11, 2018
42 of 73
Clients who would recommend me
80%
I don’t have an excess of “no feedback”.

I’ve had 10 contracts since July 2017.

2 clients left no feedback. One closed in November2017 and the second was in October 2018.

5 of my clients left 5 stars. (Is this positive or negative?) One client even gave me 5 stars and a really nice bonus for completing the work before the deadline- a really nice tip, I must say. Sadly, Upwork TOOK 20% of my TIP, in addition to the regular 20% they took from my regular earnings.

1 of my clients left 4.8 (October-December, 2018) finished in December 2018 Is the 4.8 rating positive or negative with the JSS algorithm bot?

2 of my contracts are “jobs in progress”. One began in October of 2018 - this is hourly, long term and is ongoing. The other contract started in January and is also ongoing, as needed.
(Does this positively or negatively affect my JSS)

In total, 10 contracts since July 2017. And 80% of my clients would recommend me as shown on my stats. But my JSS just dropped from 83 down to 79 on January 20.
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
43 of 73

@Danny K wrote:

Petra no, I never had any projects without payment who were closed.

Then you have a contract that has been open for months and nothing was ever paid on it?

@brian F wrote:

My clients who would recommend me is HIGHER than my JSS!

Barely.

And as Tonya says, it is a lifetime metric, whereas the JSS is the best of your 6 month, 12 months and 24 months windows.

Danny K Member Since: Oct 7, 2018
44 of 73

What the current system does is basically allowing clients even though they are happy with the freelancers performance is basically stab the freelancer in the back by giving a "secret" feedback that the freelancer cannot see that lowers the freelancer's JSS, the client has no clue that this is what he or she is doing by providing such "secret" feedback, if the clients would know most of them would NOT provide such feedback at all! and that is guranteed. not if the client is aware that the feedback provided is going to hurt the freelancer's livelyhood.
Most clients think, they are simply providing another feedback that can improve the performance of the freelancer and improve the system while in reality, they are hurting the freelancer's reputation on the platform.
we can all improve, and none of us are perfect, however the way the JSS is currently set up is punishing even the freelancers who do great work which makes no sense.
This is by far the most unfair and broken rating system i've ever encountered, if there is one thing upwork can learn from is the game industry in which I work, there are many types of non destructive and constructive ways of rating that can benefit every one, there's absoulutely no need for such a brutal secretive and unfair system as the JSS, it must change.

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
45 of 73

@Danny K wrote:

What the current system does is basically allowing clients even though they are happy with the freelancers performance is basically stab the freelancer in the back by giving a "secret" feedback that the freelancer cannot see that lowers the freelancer's JSS, the client has no clue that this is what he or she is doing by providing such "secret" feedback, if the clients would know most of them would NOT provide such feedback at all! and that is guranteed. not if the client is aware that the feedback provided is going to hurt the freelancer's livelyhood.

Prove it. 

There's absolutely no evidence that clients would lie to protect a bad freelancer's livelihood. 

46 of 73

Tonya P, this is not the point I am making, read my comment again please.
If clients would know they are going to lower a freelancer's JSS they would NOT provide negative feedback, they think they are helping, where in fact they are helping no one but rather hurting the freelancer who did a fine job, hence hurting upwork by reducing the chances of good freelancers being hired in the future because a client sees less than 100% JSS, there's quite a bit of psychology involved in this, which is why I am bringing it to the upwork's attention and hopefuly the management can review this issue more carefuly and weigh everything I mentioned in this thread.
in a nutshell, the JSS is hurting more than doing good for all parties involved, it's actually costing upwork quite a lot of money, in it's current form it's not worth having. it needs to be reconsidered and remade to be much more forgiving and not detrimental to the purpose of the platform as a whole.
I'm looking at the big picture here, I am not just a voice crying the wilderness, there are plenty others who share the same feelings as I.
In it's most simplistic and bare form: I've been completing every project that started to the best of my ability, but yet under 90% project success rate? the name JSS should change to something else at the minimum, as it has not so much to do whether the job was completed successfuly or not but more whether all the elements involved in a project were perfectly executed according to the platform's rules and regulations which most of the upwork users don't really care or want to knowabout, especially clients who are casual users who will spend a few grands on a project and will never use upwork again, I would bet there's tons of them out there, I know I worked with a few.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
47 of 73

@Danny K wrote:

What the current system does is basically allowing clients even though they are happy with the freelancers performance is basically stab the freelancer in the back by giving a "secret" feedback 

Why would you assume that clients who leave a bad private feedback are happy?

I would guess that in this case, they are not happy with the work at all, but they may not want to tell the freelancer, for some reason.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
48 of 73

Rene K
I would encourage you to go to my profile and see how many "unhappy" reviews I have.
there is inconsistency between the star reviews and the secretive reviews, if a client gives me 5 stars on a project but gives me a different review in secret so I can improve, the client is not necessery unhappy with my performance but rather feels there are areas I can improve upon, which is acceptable, in fact I encourage every client to give a constructive feedback to how a freelancer can improve but NOT if the freelancer gets hurt in the process by having their JSS lowered which hurts their reputation and income possibilities.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
49 of 73

@Danny K wrote:

Rene K
I would encourage you to go to my profile and see how many "unhappy" reviews I have.
there is inconsistency between the star reviews and the secretive reviews, if a client gives me 5 stars on a project but gives me a different review in secret so I can improve, the client is not necessery unhappy with my performance but rather feels there are areas I can improve upon, which is acceptable, in fact I encourage every client to give a constructive feedback to how a freelancer can improve but NOT if the freelancer gets hurt in the process by having their JSS lowered which hurts their reputation and income possibilities.

I'm wondering if you had a contract closed without earnings. Usually, Upwork doesn't like these.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
50 of 73

@Rene K wrote:

I'm wondering if you had a contract closed without earnings. Usually, Upwork doesn't like these.

He's already confirmed that there are none that closed  without payment. Unfortunately repeated questions whether there are any that have been open for months without anything ever having been paid have not prompted any response at all.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS