🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Job taken down shortly after I was hired
Page options
sarastutoring
Community Member

Job taken down shortly after I was hired

A job I applied for and received was taken down from UpWork shortly after, and I got an email saying that it was because they violated the User Agreement. I was wondering if I could find out why it was taken down? I may not feel comfortable working for them.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

re: "What should I do now? This is the first job I have gotten on upwork - should I tell them I don't want to work for them?"

You are saying that this is the first job you got on Upwork.

I do not know that this is true.

When you go here:

Upwork -> My Jobs -> My Jobs

...do you see a job/contract actually listed?

If you DO NOT see anything listed there, then you do not need to do anything. Stop communicating with this person, because he is NOT your client. He has NOT hired you.

If you DO SEE a contract listed, then you will need to decide whether to continue working on the contract or not. I would approach the job with some skepticism. If the payment method is NOT verified, then do not do any work. If you do not see a fully-funded milestone (for a fixed-price contract), then do not do any more work.

What more can you tell us about what you see?

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
sarastutoring
Community Member

Update: I emailed the person who hired me and asked why it was removed, and he said it was because they had everyone hired that they needed- however, the other email I received earlier had mentioned terms of service being violated. I'm not sure what to believe.

If Upwork sent you a message saying that this job was removed for a violation of its Terms of Service, then you can be guaranteed that this is what Upwork did.

This does not guarantee that the client INTENTIONALLY violated TOS. But Upwork clearly thought they did.

Ultimarely we are talking about a point of curiosity... because whether that job was removed by the client or Upwork, it is not available to you.

What should I do now? This is the first job I have gotten on upwork - should I tell them I don't want to work for them? 

re: "What should I do now? This is the first job I have gotten on upwork - should I tell them I don't want to work for them?"

You are saying that this is the first job you got on Upwork.

I do not know that this is true.

When you go here:

Upwork -> My Jobs -> My Jobs

...do you see a job/contract actually listed?

If you DO NOT see anything listed there, then you do not need to do anything. Stop communicating with this person, because he is NOT your client. He has NOT hired you.

If you DO SEE a contract listed, then you will need to decide whether to continue working on the contract or not. I would approach the job with some skepticism. If the payment method is NOT verified, then do not do any work. If you do not see a fully-funded milestone (for a fixed-price contract), then do not do any more work.

What more can you tell us about what you see?

No...I do not. It doesn't say that I have any contracts. Thank you for your help, I was wary of this during the interview.

Preston H wrote:

Preston - if Upwork takes a job down because it violated the TOS a freelancer should NOT start work or continue working when that happens. A freelancer should not be deciding whether to continue working on that contract. and they should not approach that job with skepticism, They shouldn't approach that job at all until and unless Upwork ONLY gives the ok. And they should not be just sitting around and waiting for that to happen. 

tlbp
Community Member

Kathy T wrote:

Preston H wrote:

Preston - if Upwork takes a job down because it violated the TOS a freelancer should NOT start work or continue working when that happens. A freelancer should not be deciding whether to continue working on that contract. and they should not approach that job with skepticism, They shouldn't approach that job at all until and unless Upwork ONLY gives the ok. And they should not be just sitting around and waiting for that to happen. 

I think the point is that if Upwork had removed the job, there should be no contract listed, right? Does Upwork every ban a client or cancel their job and allow a previously entered into contract for that job to remain open? 

Sara - Why would you tell them you don't want to work for them if they are no longer an Upwork client? And you probably would not be able to contact them anyway since Upwork has taken them down. You did not get a job if Upwork has taken them down. So just go on from here and look for another job.

They had had me communicate through email and Google Hangouts, not on Upwork, after I sent my proposal. I just joined Upwork a few days ago and am still really new to it, and am not sure of the rules. Thank you for your help.

Sara - That so-called job was a scam. They contact new freelancers. Whenever someone wants you to communicate on Google Hangouts, run to the hills. They are after your money, not looking to hire you.

Sara H wrote:

They had had me communicate through email and Google Hangouts, not on Upwork, after I sent my proposal. I just joined Upwork a few days ago and am still really new to it, and am not sure of the rules. Thank you for your help.

https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Tips-to-Avoid-Questionable-Jobs/td-p/240833

Sara H wrote:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us

Read all the information listed under the 9 topics listed in the above link. , Then read all the information in the 9 green links under Suggested Articles.

https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/td-p/264214

Then go through all of the green links under the heading FREELANCERS in the above link.

Finally, do a search on this discussion forum for SCAMS.

After that, then you’re ready to work correctly and safely.

Don't start anything until you know what you're doing and until you know how this site works.

Only shady stuff happens on Google Hangouts.. Its a dark alleyway on the web full of hackers, swindlers and rip offs.

petra_r
Community Member

Sara H wrote:

A job I applied for and received was taken down from UpWork shortly after, and I got an email saying that it was because they violated the User Agreement. I was wondering if I could find out why it was taken down? I may not feel comfortable working for them.

You were not hired at all.

You fell for one of the dumbest and oldest scams on the Internet.

If you receive a check, NEVER deposit it on your account

When I first started working here, I went through a scam interview all the way through to the end just to see what they would do.  They sent me a $4,999.99 check to "set up a home office" - no work submitted on my end at all.  Yeah, not suspicious.  I ended up printing the check, framing it and hanging it in my office.  It brings a good story and a laugh when people ask about it.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths