๐Ÿˆ
ยป Forums ยป Freelancers ยป Jobs Awarded and No Longer Available ... Or A...
Page options
mtngigi
Community Member

Jobs Awarded and No Longer Available ... Or Are They??

I wonder if Upwork is aware of how many clients find this site confusing and don't want to bother learning how things work from their end.  Putting the onus on us to act as CSRs (as happens many times) should tell you something ... that there needs to be more clarity to clients (especially new ones) as to how to use this site.

 

What is prompting this? Well, in looking at quite a few RFPs this morning that interested me, I saw something I swear I never saw/noticed before. A little calendar with a start date, and sure enough, under the clients active jobs, there's the project I'm interested in, awarded to someone currently working on it (I assume). How are we to know if leaving a bid makes any sense?  These were not projects where it was indicated they needed to hire more than one freelancer.

 

Is this something new?

 

Why can't Upwork  send an  automatic message to a client who has awarded a job and ask them to do whatever it is they have to do so that their project doesn't show up in currect listings - if indeed they have found what they're looking for in a freelancer?

 

If they're testing freelancers I can understand, but there were so many of them ... I just began to wonder.

34 REPLIES 34
ravi_iitian
Community Member

Unless the client has clearly specified that he/she is hiring multiple persons, once a person is hired, the RFP is a dud (annoying as it is).

 

All sorts of reasons (not very convincing) are given as to why the job is still open to bidding.

"Certa bonum certamen"

When a client hires someone for a job there's a very clear option to either close the job (I think its even the default) or leave it open. There are lots of reasons why a client may choose to leave it open. I've done it myself if I want to hire more than one as a trial because I didn't find someone I was 100% happy with in the first round of applicants. I guess its up to freelancers if they want to risk spending their connects applying for a job that already has a hire or not.

Thanks Jennifer - I understand that. But yesterday there were a lot of jobs like this, almost all the ones I clicked on to bid ... I don't think they could have all been testing jobs, especially in my category.

 

I'm also trying to find out if the little calendar thing is new, because I've never noticed it before.

Maybe its a new scam (or an old scam targeting a new job category)? With the calendar thing, I know that previously freelancers have complained about not being able to tell if a job has a hire already from their job feed without going to the actual job post, so maybe Upwork added that feature?

That's what I'm trying to find out ... there wasn't anything scammy.

 

I'll see if I can find one and do a screen shot

kim_wong
Community Member

I posted the following question and suggestion a few days ago without any response, comment or answer.  

 

 

Having been an active Upwork freelancer for 6 months, I feel I have a good understanding of the platform, its services, quirks, etc.

 

One thing that its troublesome is the number of posted jobs that never get closed.   In some instances, the job posting indicates a hiring.  I understand that the client may still be looking to hire another freelancer and therefore, has left the job open.

 

I tend to believe that many of these outstanding jobs are either dormant or filled, with no future intention of hiring.  Perhaps Upwork should (if not doing so already):

 

1.  Upon hiring - prompt the client to confirm whether the job is still open or whether it should be closed.

2.  Periodically (for example, every 3 or 4 weeks) contact the client to remind them to close off the job if it has been already filled, cancelled, etc.

 

This way, freelancers can reduce clutter, better manage their proposals and in the cases of an invitation, get their credits back.  While I know the more "open" jobs, the better it looks for potential workflow, there needs to be a balance between practicality and optics.

mtngigi
Community Member

That would be nice .... wouldn't it?

 

There are some very ancient jobs that only make you look through page upon page upon page. Make the clients close them ... if clients don't respond, then remove their RFPs from the roster after a certain period of time.

 

How hard can it be to do that?

 

I'm still waiting for an answer on the little calendar. 


@Kim W wrote:

Perhaps Upwork should (if not doing so already):

 

1.  Upon hiring - prompt the client to confirm whether the job is still open or whether it should be closed.

2.  Periodically (for example, every 3 or 4 weeks) contact the client to remind them to close off the job if it has been already filled, cancelled, etc.


 Kim: #1 already happens. When you hire a freelancer the first thing you see is a checkbox to close the job (I actually thought this was checked by default, but it looks like I was wrong on that - but it's still clearly there):

 

Close job.PNG

 

I've never left a job open long-term, so I can't comment on your point 2 though.

"When you hire a freelancer the first thing you see is a checkbox to close the job."

 

Despite that, many clients leave the job open (for various reasons).

 

Question: If the client closes a job, can he/she reopen the same job in the future?

"Certa bonum certamen"


@Ravindra B wrote:

"When you hire a freelancer the first thing you see is a checkbox to close the job."

 

Despite that, many clients leave the job open (for various reasons).

 

Question: If the client closes a job, can he/she reopen the same job in the future?


As far as I can tell, I only have the option to "repost" a closed job, not reopen it. This creates a new job with a new job ID and just uses the previous one as a template.

โ€œAs far as I can tell, I only have the option to "repost" a closed job, not reopen it. This creates a new job with a new job ID and just uses the previous one as a template.โ€

 

Okay. That would explain why so many jobs are left open.

"Certa bonum certamen"

"As far as I can tell, I only have the option to "repost" a closed job, not reopen it. This creates a new job with a new job ID and just uses the previous one as a template."

 

So Jennifer, in your opinion, is that a pain for clients to do? I'm guessing that most of the time, these jobs are never looked at again, especially in the small, one-off projects.

 

I think I speak for a lot of freelancers when I say it would be nice not to have to wade through 2, 3, 4 and sometimes more months-old crud.

 

Little calendars, little calendars ... can't find any today.

Virginia: Hypothetically, if I as a client wanted to be able to periodically just hire a new freelancer without reposting a job, for whatever reason, then I can see why instead of closing and reposting I'd just leave the original open - its much less hassle. But I'm not a client who leaves jobs open or often has to repost an identical job, so I'm not really the right person to answer the question ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks Jennifer.  I still think it would be nice to send the client, after a period of time, a reminder or have them re-confirm that the job is to remain open.  After a while, in many cases I am sure they forgot that it was still open and live.

mtngigi
Community Member

Most definitely a good idea, because I do believe that the majority of ancients are ones that the client has simply forgotten about. It really makes for a lot of pages filled with jobs that are ghosts.


@Kim W wrote:

Thanks Jennifer.  I still think it would be nice to send the client, after a period of time, a reminder or have them re-confirm that the job is to remain open.  After a while, in many cases I am sure they forgot that it was still open and live.


 Hi Kim,

 

Such notification is sent to clients when the job is about to expire after 30 days of inactivity:

 

Screenshot_15.png

~ Valeria
Upwork

Is a mod ever going to address the question* I asked when I started this thread?

 

Someone should inform the team that if nothing else, all the crap jobs that clutter up the job pages have no reason to be hanging around for months and months and months and years. It makes job searches a nightmare.

 

*I've stopped looking for a while ... but the last time I looked there were all these little calendars, which prompted my post.

 

I just want to know what they mean, because I'd never seen them before. Are they gone? Was it a test? What???


@Virginia F wrote:

Is a mod ever going to address the question* I asked when I started this thread?

 

Someone should inform the team that if nothing else, all the crap jobs that clutter up the job pages have no reason to be hanging around for months and months and months and years. It makes job searches a nightmare.

 

*I've stopped looking for a while ... but the last time I looked there were all these little calendars, which prompted my post.

 

I just want to know what they mean, because I'd never seen them before. Are they gone? Was it a test? What???


Hi Virginia,

 

Could you please provide a screenshot of what you are referring to when you talk about calendars on job post? Also, can you PM me a link to a job post that has that? 

~ Valeria
Upwork

Valeria,

 

I don't have screen shots.

 

I started this thread 7 days ago, because 7 days ago all the RFPs I clicked on had little calendars with a start date, and under jobs in progress, you could see that a freelancer had been hired and was working the job. A job that made no mention of hiring more than one person.

 

Surely someone at Upwork must know what I'm talking about!

 

If I find one again, yes ... I'll take a screen shot. But after that day I gave up looking for a while, because a. I'm working a job that's keeping me busy, and b. I got well and truly tired of seeing all those ANCIENT job posts - aside from explanations from Jennifer and others for keeping old jobs on the site that long, I see no reason why Upwork can't do a little regular housecleaning.

 

Meanwhile, back at the ranch - somebody must know about the calendars ... unless I was seeing things that day. 

Hi Virginia,

You're not seeing ghosts ๐Ÿ™‚
I have also seen small calendars, but have disappeared.

Thank you Maria - since the mods are refusing to address these "little calendar" sightings (and what they mean) ... I'm glad to know someone else saw them too.

 

I can cancel my trip to the loony bin now.

Hi Virginia,

 

I am checking with the team regarding the calendars you saw and will update you as soon as I have more information. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

That Maria saw as well ... apparently, we're the only two that did.

 

I'll look forward to an explanation.

 

 

Virginia and Maria,

 

I got more information from the team about the calendar icons you saw. At this point, it means that the client was offered to post a job in the Team Builder Talent Cloud because the job requires a longer engagement. Even if they decide not to go forward with the Team Builder program and opt out, they can still post this job with the information about the start date.

 

Currently, the option to select start date is available only for clients who were offered to post in the Team Builder Talent Cloud. However, we are planing to expand and provide this option to all clients in the future.

 

I hope this clarifies things and thanks for your patience while we were collecting more information.

~ Valeria
Upwork

That doesn't explain why all the jobs I saw with little calendars also showed that a freelancer was hired and the job was in progress. Yet the job was still open, with no indication that the client was looking to hire more than one.

 

So question still remains ... are/were those jobs open, or closed?

 

But I am happy to know I wasn't seeing things.

I found it!!calendar.jpg

Thanks Valeria.  Good to know that they have to physically extend the contract if it is to remain active and live.

 


Jennifer D wrote:

When a client hires someone for a job there's a very clear option to either close the job (I think its even the default) or leave it open. There are lots of reasons why a client may choose to leave it open. I've done it myself if I want to hire more than one as a trial because I didn't find someone I was 100% happy with in the first round of applicants. I guess its up to freelancers if they want to risk spending their connects applying for a job that already has a hire or not.


 

Jennifer, I have to agree with you even though I have a similar compaint. But I think Upwrok should at least make it prominent enough so that freelancers can easily notice that the client has already hired someone for the job and they need to risk their connects by submitting another proposal on that job posting.

lysis10
Community Member


@debiprasad S wrote:

 

Jennifer, I have to agree with you even though I have a similar compaint. But I think Upwrok should at least make it prominent enough so that freelancers can easily notice that the client has already hired someone for the job and they need to risk their connects by submitting another proposal on that job posting.


 They do although not "prominently." It says Hire: 1 in the job stats.


@Ravindra B wrote:

Unless the client has clearly specified that he/she is hiring multiple persons, once a person is hired, the RFP is a dud (annoying as it is).

 

All sorts of reasons (not very convincing) are given as to why the job is still open to bidding.


I think it is a not-unusual experience around here for qualified freelancers with higher rates to be hired on a job after the client has hired someone cheaper and found out that didn't work out. 

An idea...

Perhaps Upwork can find a a freelancer to change their website to warn the applicant about the # of hires before submitting a proposal.

 


Joseph R wrote:

An idea...

Perhaps Upwork can find a a freelancer to change their website to warn the applicant about the # of hires before submitting a proposal.


No need, that is already most clearly displayed on every job posting. No need to "find a freelancer" to "change the website" (condescending, much?) to that effect.

 

hired.png

 

 

mtngigi
Community Member

I think I must have dreamed those little calendars ... I wish a mod would chime in.

kim_wong
Community Member

Any insight or thoughts from a Mod?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths