cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jobs Awarded and No Longer Available ... Or Are They??

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
1 of 35

I wonder if Upwork is aware of how many clients find this site confusing and don't want to bother learning how things work from their end.  Putting the onus on us to act as CSRs (as happens many times) should tell you something ... that there needs to be more clarity to clients (especially new ones) as to how to use this site.

What is prompting this? Well, in looking at quite a few RFPs this morning that interested me, I saw something I swear I never saw/noticed before. A little calendar with a start date, and sure enough, under the clients active jobs, there's the project I'm interested in, awarded to someone currently working on it (I assume). How are we to know if leaving a bid makes any sense?  These were not projects where it was indicated they needed to hire more than one freelancer.

Is this something new?

Why can't Upwork  send an  automatic message to a client who has awarded a job and ask them to do whatever it is they have to do so that their project doesn't show up in currect listings - if indeed they have found what they're looking for in a freelancer?

If they're testing freelancers I can understand, but there were so many of them ... I just began to wonder.

ravi_iitian
Community Guru
Ravindra B Member Since: Sep 27, 2015
2 of 35

Unless the client has clearly specified that he/she is hiring multiple persons, once a person is hired, the RFP is a dud (annoying as it is).

All sorts of reasons (not very convincing) are given as to why the job is still open to bidding.

"Certa bonum certamen"
cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
3 of 35

When a client hires someone for a job there's a very clear option to either close the job (I think its even the default) or leave it open. There are lots of reasons why a client may choose to leave it open. I've done it myself if I want to hire more than one as a trial because I didn't find someone I was 100% happy with in the first round of applicants. I guess its up to freelancers if they want to risk spending their connects applying for a job that already has a hire or not.

mtngigi
Community Guru
4 of 35

Thanks Jennifer - I understand that. But yesterday there were a lot of jobs like this, almost all the ones I clicked on to bid ... I don't think they could have all been testing jobs, especially in my category.

I'm also trying to find out if the little calendar thing is new, because I've never noticed it before.

cupidmedia
Community Guru
5 of 35

Maybe its a new scam (or an old scam targeting a new job category)? With the calendar thing, I know that previously freelancers have complained about not being able to tell if a job has a hire already from their job feed without going to the actual job post, so maybe Upwork added that feature?

mtngigi
Community Guru
6 of 35

That's what I'm trying to find out ... there wasn't anything scammy.

I'll see if I can find one and do a screen shot

kim_wong
Community Leader
Kim W Member Since: Dec 10, 2015
7 of 35

I posted the following question and suggestion a few days ago without any response, comment or answer.  

Having been an active Upwork freelancer for 6 months, I feel I have a good understanding of the platform, its services, quirks, etc.

One thing that its troublesome is the number of posted jobs that never get closed.   In some instances, the job posting indicates a hiring.  I understand that the client may still be looking to hire another freelancer and therefore, has left the job open.

I tend to believe that many of these outstanding jobs are either dormant or filled, with no future intention of hiring.  Perhaps Upwork should (if not doing so already):

1.  Upon hiring - prompt the client to confirm whether the job is still open or whether it should be closed.

2.  Periodically (for example, every 3 or 4 weeks) contact the client to remind them to close off the job if it has been already filled, cancelled, etc.

This way, freelancers can reduce clutter, better manage their proposals and in the cases of an invitation, get their credits back.  While I know the more "open" jobs, the better it looks for potential workflow, there needs to be a balance between practicality and optics.

mtngigi
Community Guru
8 of 35

That would be nice .... wouldn't it?

There are some very ancient jobs that only make you look through page upon page upon page. Make the clients close them ... if clients don't respond, then remove their RFPs from the roster after a certain period of time.

How hard can it be to do that?

I'm still waiting for an answer on the little calendar. 

cupidmedia
Community Guru
9 of 35

@Kim W wrote:

Perhaps Upwork should (if not doing so already):

1.  Upon hiring - prompt the client to confirm whether the job is still open or whether it should be closed.

2.  Periodically (for example, every 3 or 4 weeks) contact the client to remind them to close off the job if it has been already filled, cancelled, etc.

Kim: #1 already happens. When you hire a freelancer the first thing you see is a checkbox to close the job (I actually thought this was checked by default, but it looks like I was wrong on that - but it's still clearly there):

Close job.PNG

I've never left a job open long-term, so I can't comment on your point 2 though.

ravi_iitian
Community Guru
Ravindra B Member Since: Sep 27, 2015
10 of 35

"When you hire a freelancer the first thing you see is a checkbox to close the job."

Despite that, many clients leave the job open (for various reasons).

Question: If the client closes a job, can he/she reopen the same job in the future?

"Certa bonum certamen"
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS