🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Jobs closed - no hire made - lost connect...
Page options
zbolton
Community Member

Jobs closed - no hire made - lost connects?

I have had 8 jobs close in the last 3 days. Will I be getting those connects back since no hire was made? 

33 REPLIES 33
prestonhunter
Community Member

Zachary:

If Upwork closed those jobs becaues they were fraudulent, then you will automatically get your connects back.

If the clients closed those jobs themselves, I don't think you get connects back.

under archive it says "JOB IS CLOSED" i don't know how to tell who closed it, but I feel I should be getting connects back.

Hi Zachary,

Preston is right. Connects used for a job will be refunded back to Freelancers if job is removed for Policy Violation or if a project is cancelled without forming a contract with any freelancer, the Connects used on that proposal will be returned for you to reuse. Aside from the notification if your application gets declined, you will also see if the client hired someone on that particular closed job posting under "Activity on this Job" part.

Thank you for the response. I have 8 proposals that have been archived due to job is cancelled. I do have 1 job that says declined by client, which I understand. I should be receiving the connects back for those 8 jobs correct? Can you tell me when I will receive them back, is it 24 hours after job closing? Is it when the next billing cycle hits?

VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Zachary,

Please check your Connects History and follow up here if you don't see the returned Connects there 24 hours after the jobs were archived.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Thank you. I have 6 postings that show job closed and they are 1-2 days old.

Zachary,

Please, note that connects are returned only if a job is closed without a hire. You can check jobs in your archived folder to see if the clients hired anybody on them. It looks like two of the jobs you've applied for were closed without a hire and connects were returned.

~ Valeria
Upwork

@Valeria K wrote:

Zachary,

Please, note that connects are returned only if a job is closed without a hire. You can check jobs in your archived folder to see if the clients hired anybody on them. It looks like two of the jobs you've applied for were closed without a hire and connects were returned.

Is this only for freelancers with paid memberships? Because I have a whole list of archived proposals with no hires and never received connects back for them. I did get connects back for a job pulled for a ToS violation, but never for a no-hire, expired post.

Jess,

It applies to all jobs and freelancers regardless of their Membership. In order for connects to be returned, the job has to be closed either by the client or by Upwork team with no freelancers hired for it. It doesn't apply to jobs expired automatically, only closed jobs.

~ Valeria
Upwork

@Valeria K wrote:

Jess,

It applies to all jobs and freelancers regardless of their Membership. In order for connects to be returned, the job has to be closed either by the client or by Upwork team with no freelancers hired for it. It doesn't apply to jobs expired automatically, only closed jobs.

Ugh. So if a client just walks away from their post, which happens on about 75% of the jobs I apply to, there's no dispensation. What a drag.

Valeria,

can you please help me?

I seem have same issue mentioned in this thread - a lot of jobs I sent application to were ended with no hire and I did not get my connects back. I suspect there is some malfunction?

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sergey,

Please note that we return Connects when a client closes their job without hiring or we find a job post has violated our Terms of ServiceIf a client doesn’t hire and closes their job post, any Connects used to submit a proposal will be returned to you. However, if they do not close the job, no Connects will be returned. 

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
svspit
Community Member

Hi Bojan,

thanks for the reply,

This is pretty sick, I can't believe one could invent this kind of scenario.

d73a67b6
Community Member

Hi Bojan, 

I have the same issue here. I see 4 jobs closed, 1 hiring which is understandable but 3 without hiring. From my understanding freelancer will get connect back but I haven't received any refund. 1 job closed 4 days ago. Any thought? I'm a bit confused. 

Thanks, 

WP

Hi Withawalai,

I was able to see that out of the proposals you sent, only 2 jobs closed because the original job posting expired, which does not fall under the condition for the Connects to be returned, as the project must be canceled by the client without making a hire for this to apply. Feel free to check this help article for more details on this.

Thank you.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Hello, Bojan Will the job close on its own if the client doesn't hire anyone and doesn't seal the deal for years?

Hi Faizan,

Yes, job posts expire after 30 days if there is no activity from the client. 

~Andrea
Upwork

And would we get our connects back after the job expires?

Hi Faizan,

Connects are not returned when a job post expires; they are only returned when the client cancels a job post before hiring someone or if a job is removed from the platform for violating the Terms of Service. You can check the "Returned Connects" section of this article to learn more. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork

No u wont

Checking each archived folder's post took many clicks & a painful process. why should upwork not give us a report on that? or hide something from freelancers? so the thing doesn't come to light.

bro the client just closed the job and i have lost my precious connects,this should have been reversed to me

zbolton
Community Member

Thank you. How do I know the difference?
zbolton
Community Member

How do I know if the job was closed with or without a hire? Can you explain how to differentiate that?

@Zachary B wrote:

How do I know if the job was closed with or without a hire? Can you explain how to differentiate that?

You'd have to click on the job and look at the number of hires associated with it. There's no reason whatsoever to invest that time, as connects will be returned automatically in the rare event that a job qualifies for a refund of connects. 

@Tiffany S wrote:

@Zachary B wrote:

You'd have to click on the job and look at the number of hires associated with it. There's no reason whatsoever to invest that time, as connects will be returned automatically in the rare event that a job qualifies for a refund of connects. 

Meanwhile, whatever number of connects you know you have left, as always, invest them wisely.

f186651e
Community Member

Connects should get refunded regardless of the reason why the jon was closed. There are a lot of newbies or people with no previous hiring that just let the job offer died. We freelancers shouldn´t be punish because of this.

I´ve seen even older accounts posting jobs and no hiring nobody, you should at least charge THEM a fee for posting a job offer without hiring nobody at the end.

How about if a job is closed but you can't view it to see if there were any hires as the job no longer exists? Would we get our connects back then? 

Diane: whether or not a job post can be seen by you is not a determining factor.

If a client hires someone and then closes the job post, then you may indeed be unable to view the job post. But you would not get connects back.

Thank you, Preston.

However, Tiffany - Community Guru - responded above with: "You'd have to click on the job and look at the number of hires associated with it."

Normally, I can do that. But today I have 2 jobs that have come up "job is closed" and I can't look to see how many hires there have been because the job no longer exists, it's not there any longer. Usually, you can still look at a closed job and see if they have hired someone. On this occasion, I can't. 
I'm assuming this means the jobs were taken down by Upwork ... but how do we know that, and will we get our connects back if we can no longer view the (closed) job?

There is a tracking page you can go to that shows every single connects refund. Use that page. The refunds are automatically processed.

On my default Upwork page... I can click on the "Available Connects" link...

Screen Shot 2020-01-31 at 7.22.55 AM.png

Then I can click on "View Connects History"...

Screen Shot 2020-01-31 at 7.23.23 AM.png

...and see all the information about refunds, connects usage, etc...

Screen Shot 2020-01-31 at 7.23.57 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-31 at 7.23.49 AM.png

Okay, thanks.

I could not agree more. Why should the freelancers have to pay the price for it. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths