Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jobs get spammed with 50+ applications

Community Leader
Hermann M Member Since: Jul 8, 2018
1 of 21

Hi,

it is getting really frustrating. I apply for a job that just came on and within minutes it gets flooded with 50+ applicationes and a majority of those are $6.00 offers from Pakistan or India. From the clients point this must be equally frustrating, being spammed like this.

Hermann

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
2 of 21

Hermann M wrote:

Hi,

it is getting really frustrating. I apply for a job the just came on and within minutes it get flooded with 50+ applicationes and a majority of those are $6.00 offers from Pakistan or India. From the clients point this must be equally frustrating, being spammed like this.

Hermann

Community Leader
Hermann M Member Since: Jul 8, 2018
3 of 21

simple, by looking at the bid range and second, I have hired here as well and got all those offers from India, Bangladesh and Pakistan for $4.00 to $6.00/hour 

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 21

Hermann M wrote:

simple, by looking at the bid range and second, I have hired here as well and got all those offers from xxxxxxxxx  for $4.00 to $6.00/hour 

Says the guy living in an equally Asian country. 

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
5 of 21

Hermann M wrote:

simple, by looking at the bid range and second, I have hired here as well and got all those offers from India, Bangladesh and Pakistan for $4.00 to $6.00/hour 

Perhaps. But if you were applying for a job, you could not know this. You could only guess at the bid amounts. This sort of ethnic generalization can be quite offensive and also, there is no reason why the majority of bids should not be from these countries. 

Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
6 of 21

Hermann M wrote:

Just curious, Hermann... when you - as a client - posted your job and got all these $4-6 offers, were you pleased that you could get the work for so cheap, or not? Be honest now.

Marco D Member Since: Feb 26, 2019
7 of 21
So,clients get a generalized opinion based on the lower bid range for jobs?
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
8 of 21

Marco D wrote:
So,clients get a generalized opinion based on the lower bid range for jobs?

Lower/average/maximum

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
9 of 21

By charging for connects, Upwork is trying to starve out those people but I am not sure how well it will work. Probably will work for the very low end. The spamming is probably worse right now because everyone is trying to waste their connects before the switchover. When it starts costing them, it might slow down a bit. It's still too early to tell because they said they are rolling it out throughout May.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
10 of 21

Jennifer M wrote:

By charging for connects, Upwork is trying to starve out those people but I am not sure how well it will work. Probably will work for the very low end. 

At only 15 cents per connect I'm not sure this will starve out many...

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS