Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Jobs get spammed with 50+ applications

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
11 of 21

Rene K wrote:


At only 15 cents per connect I'm not sure this will starve out many...


idk man, reading the connect threads, it sounds like everyone is really just that poor. lol

 

We always gotta hear about how poor people can charge less and global marketplace and blah blah blah, but that dog and pony show works for both sides. Global marketplace also means the poors can get starved out because the other side is too expensive for them.

 

But I do think you're right. I suppose we'll see.

Active Member
Jarrad C Member Since: Apr 27, 2019
12 of 21

Rene K wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

By charging for connects, Upwork is trying to starve out those people but I am not sure how well it will work. Probably will work for the very low end. 


At only 15 cents per connect I'm not sure this will starve out many...


They won't get any free connects anymore though so they either have to pay or charge more. It will make getting in harder for those who can't attract regular work at those prices, and perhaps those who are already in will raise their prices, or even just run out of connects in the first week and then nobody has to deal with those low bids for three weeks a month. Maybe.

Ace Contributor
Michelle T Member Since: Mar 28, 2018
13 of 21
How do you know the client is frustrated with those proposals? There are clients that hire in that price range.
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
14 of 21

Michelle T wrote:
How do you know the client is frustrated with those proposals? There are clients that hire in that price range.

Upwork knows. That's why free connects will be eliminated later this month, and clients may not receive 50 proposals, even when they want 50 proposals.

__________________________________________________
"No good deed goes unpunished." -- Clare Boothe Luce
Ace Contributor
Michelle T Member Since: Mar 28, 2018
15 of 21

Well, there's a difference between not wanting 50 proposals and not wanting proposals of a certain price range. I had a client invite me to bid and then decline my proposal due to my rate even though it's clearly stated in my profile. 

 

I'm not saying it's bad to limit proposals, but it doesn't mean the client will want to receive proposals in a higher price range like OP was insinuating. Some clients will never want to pay more than $4-10/hr.

Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
16 of 21

Michelle T wrote:

Some clients will never want to pay more than $4-10/hr.


Yes, undoubtedly - the problem is that Upwork doesn't want this. They make a percentage of each project, so would benefit them enormously if the cheaper freelancers are encouraged to raise their prices because of the new 15 cents/connect policy (or stop bidding altogether).

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
17 of 21

Christine A wrote:

Michelle T wrote:

Some clients will never want to pay more than $4-10/hr.


Yes, undoubtedly - the problem is that Upwork doesn't want this. They make a percentage of each project, so would benefit them enormously if the cheaper freelancers are encouraged to raise their prices because of the new 15 cents/connect policy (or stop bidding altogether).


You'd think Upwork doesn't want this, but it makes one (me) wonder why Upwork doesn't simply change the minimum fixed rate to something more than the pathetic $5 they allow, and to raise the hourly rate minimum as well. Seems like that would be a relatively easy fix to increase their revenue - that would also go a long way to helping many freelancers across the board, as well as eliminate the kinds of clients who post those cheap jobs and then try to get a refund for their measly $5 or $10.

Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
18 of 21

Michelle T wrote:
How do you know the client is frustrated with those proposals? There are clients that hire in that price range.

They're probably not frustrated with the prices, they're frustrated with having to wade through 50+ proposals, many of which will be from freelancers without the necessary experience but who are thinking, "Hey, why not take my chances, since it doesn't cost me anything to place a bid."

Ace Contributor
Michelle T Member Since: Mar 28, 2018
19 of 21

Christine A wrote:

Michelle T wrote:
How do you know the client is frustrated with those proposals? There are clients that hire in that price range.

They're probably not frustrated with the prices, they're frustrated with having to wade through 50+ proposals, many of which will be from freelancers without the necessary experience but who are thinking, "Hey, why not take my chances, since it doesn't cost me anything to place a bid."


Exactly. OP was suggesting that it was the number of proposals AND the low prices that were frustrating. I can see why it could the number of proposals, but we don't know the client's budget on the project. They might prefer proposals in the lower price range.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
20 of 21

Michelle T wrote:

Christine A wrote:

Michelle T wrote:
How do you know the client is frustrated with those proposals? There are clients that hire in that price range.

They're probably not frustrated with the prices, they're frustrated with having to wade through 50+ proposals, many of which will be from freelancers without the necessary experience but who are thinking, "Hey, why not take my chances, since it doesn't cost me anything to place a bid."


Exactly. OP was suggesting that it was the number of proposals AND the low prices that were frustrating. I can see why it could the number of proposals, but we don't know the client's budget on the project. They might prefer proposals in the lower price range.


The client has some control over that, by indicating whether they're looking for Beginner($), Intermediate($$), or Expert($$$). I have no idea what jobs the OP applies to, but I never bid on Beginner($) jobs, and infrequently on Intermediate($$) jobs.

__________________________________________________
"No good deed goes unpunished." -- Clare Boothe Luce
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS