🐈 Community
mireiacarre

Jobs in progress lower the Job Success Score?

Around two weeks ago I had a Job Success Score of 100% and gained a couple big projects which I still working, but now today I realized my JSS went down to 74%. Without having any project canceled or anything.

It's possible that the JSS is being affected for those two unfinished projects?

JSS is the worst score system I have ever seen my whole life. Unfair for the freelancers and really questionable for the cilents. I hope you change it, but you never listen the community (If you were the website would not be so slow, you would not have take down Elance, you would have allowed to hide the earnings, and so on) so you will keep it that awful way for everyone.

13 REPLIES 13

Hello Mireia,

for as far as I know, projects without any activity for about a month start to influence your JSS negatively. I don't know if this is the case when there's an active, funded milestone (could someone confirm for me?) but it's definitely the case when there's an open project without any funded milestones.

I always ask the Client if he or she has any more work for me at the moment, and if not, I'd like them to close the contract and re-open a new one when they need me. This way they're also forced to leave feedback, since a Client leaving no feedback also influences your JSS negatively.

I don't know if JSS is the worst I've seen, but there are definitely some unfair aspects included in the system. The only thing you can do is learn to know what influences your JSS and try to adjust to make sure you don't drop down.

conezz

This is the worst system I have never seen in my life come one clients didn't close their jobs and my score goes down I've been on here since the beginning you better change this stupid systems

Mathew B wrote:
This is the worst system I have never seen in my life come one clients didn't close their jobs and my score goes down I've been on here since the beginning you better change this stupid systems

Jobs in progress do not lower the JSS. Jobs you have been paid money from do not hurt your JSS. Clients not closing the contract does not hurt your JSS. You closing a contract yourself does not hurt your JSS

Poor private feedback hurts your JSS.

Contracts that never lead to any earnings hurts your JSS.

PS - you are responding to a 4+ year old post.

You work so hard to maintain your score and then a client with unclear discription starts a contract happily and cancel it after he doesnt get what he wanted. 
And Boom! there goes your all 5 stars because of one man who was having some issues in his private life.
Upwork should respect the freelancers not the clients.

Muhammad wrote:

Upwork should respect the freelancers not the clients.

And go bankrupt in a month?

You work so hard to maintain your score and then a client with unclear discription starts a contract happily and cancel it after he doesnt get what he wanted. 

You need to get into the habit of nailing down client's expectations and aligning them with what you can offer before you accept a contract. Afterwards it's too late. 

You are saying they should always humiliate the freelancer just because they are getting paid by the client. They provide a service and they take a fee for that. They are not doing it for charity.
But they don't care because the freelancers. Because of whom they get clients.

Muhammad U wrote:

You are saying they should always humiliate the freelancer just because they are getting paid by the client. 

No, I am saying it's your job to scope a project and what the client wants before you accept a contract. Which clearly you didn't do in this case.

Upwork don't "humiliate" freelancers. That's ridiculous.

You are right, I was just angry because my JSS just went down from 100% to 86% I was working hard towards the Top-Rated badge. Can you pls check my profile and tell me which project could have effected my JSS. Note: Recently I worked on a proj of 20$ and the client was unclear and canceled the contract without asking for a revision. I filed a dispute against his escrow refund. It was solved today or yesterday. And upwork returned him the money and told me that I will get a courtesy fee or smth. Is it possible that that job affected my JSS that much or is it smth else.

Muhammad U wrote:
Recently I worked on a proj of 20$ and the client was unclear and canceled the contract without asking for a revision. I filed a dispute against his escrow refund. It was solved today or yesterday. And upwork returned him the money and told me that I will get a courtesy fee or smth. Is it possible that that job affected my JSS that much or is it smth else.

It's likely that the client left poor private feedback, yes. Happy clients don't ask for their money back.

And yes, when you only have 7 completed contracts, each one counts a HUGE amount, which is why you need to go out of your way to understand what the client wants before accepting a contract. Your success on this platform is defined more by the contracts and clients you turn down or at least whose expectations you proactively manage before clicking on "accept" than the contracts you accept. Once you have 100 contracts under your belt, you can afford to cut the odd rogue client loose. Not yet.

You can bounce back from this.

I was at 8 out of 16 weeks for Top-Rated. And I am working on a project of 120$ which I hope to get done within a few days and I will surely get a positive feedback. Will it help? 100 projects OMG, isn't that too much for just a 20$ project, I thought the JSS effect also depends on the amount of money??

Muhammad U wrote:
I was at 8 out of 16 weeks for Top-Rated. And I am working on a project of 120$ which I hope to get done within a few days and I will surely get a positive feedback. Will it help? 100 projects OMG, isn't that too much for just a 20$ project, I thought the JSS effect also depends on the amount of money??

It does, but the fewer contracts you have, the bigger the impact of each wil be. It is also basic maths that the percentage loss of one contract going bad is many times that of oe cotract ending positively.  That's just how percentages work. That one contract ending well will surely "help" - but one bad contract out of 8 will likely still see you at less than 90% because 7 out of 8 does not make 90% - 9 out of 10 does.

Thanks for the info, I will surely keep an eye for contracts with unclear requirements. I hope to get 2-3 contracts done before my JSS is calculated. Its calculated after two weeks right?

Muhammad U wrote:
 Its calculated after two weeks right?

Yes. Every second Sunday, afternoon/evening UTC

Learning Paths