Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jobs never awarded

Highlighted
Community Guru
Karin S Member Since: Dec 6, 2009
1 of 28

I am quite tired to see jobs I am bidding on never being awarded to anyone.

I wonder how many % of the jobs that that remain unawarded.

Connects flies away so quick..sort of paying for bidding on projects that never would be awarded..

Its frustrating. And I dont know how Upwork could could make it different. 

I guess have to even more think twice on the projects we bid for..

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Ramon v Member Since: Oct 28, 2015
2 of 28

Hello Karin,

It happens all the time, jobs not being awarded to anyone could have multiple reasons (they're scamming, they've found someone else for the job, they don't need the assignment to be completed anymore, etc.), it's part of the Upwork game.

All you can do as a freelancer is do a bit of research upfront. How big of a % of the Client's previous jobs have actually been awarded to freelancers? If it's ridiculously low I simply don't bid. Smiley Happy I once saw a Client who had over 100 jobs posted with 0% being awarded. That's an instant report to Upwork.

Do what I do. Check out a job post, do the necessary research, apply (if you're interested) and then don't look back. Maybe it gets awarded to someone else, maybe it doesn't. In any case, if there is anything in it for me, I'll surely be contacted by the Client him/herself. If not, there's nothing I can do about it.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Lisa W Member Since: Nov 14, 2015
3 of 28

I think there's also a problem with clients being notified that someone has applied to their job. I think Jean brought it up in another post - clients will often post a job on several platforms then wait for the email notifications to come in letting them know people have applied. Upwork stopped sending emails to clients when they had proposals and clients would hire on other platforms, thinking they had no applications here. I don't know if that is still part of the problem, or if even makes up a large percentage of the 'no-hire' jobs, but it would be nice if it was fixed (if it hasn't been already.)

Highlighted
Community Guru
Karin S Member Since: Dec 6, 2009
4 of 28

That was new to me clients doesnt have emails when someone applied.

It could be one reason perhaps.

But I am trying to apply only to jobs I can see clients has verified account, have a high % of awarded projects..etc.

But, still it is a problem. And there are too many jobs there not awarded..which I find frustrating even if I have to deal with it..

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
5 of 28

@Karin S wrote:

That was new to me clients doesnt have emails when someone applied.

They have. Upwork will not bug them by sending an email for every proposal, but they are informed when first ones arrive.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Community Guru
Gerry S Member Since: Nov 23, 2014
6 of 28

I have over 40 pages of invitations that were never filled.

If they don't reply in 24 to 48 hours (less, depending on my mood) to my application OR response to an invite, I withdraw my application (unresponsive customer).

My time is no less important than that of a client.

Remember, that "job" a customer spent 2 minutes posting, could generate 30, 40, + responses.

Some applicants will send a copy and paste; others a thoughtful reply. In the meantime, that "2 minute" post by the customer burned through ... what? ... 10, 20 man-hours of "applicant" time? Time that could have been spent "producing".

Nah ... If I can get excited about a customer's posting but thay can't "get excited" about my proposal, forget it.

The serious customers (do often) come around and contact me even if I withdraw ... at which point you (might) assume they are serious.

Take control.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Ramon v Member Since: Oct 28, 2015
7 of 28

@Gerry S wrote:

If they don't reply in 24 to 48 hours (less, depending on my mood) to my application OR response to an invite, I withdraw my application (unresponsive customer).

What is the use of withdrawing the application? You just robbed yourself of 2 connects and a possible assignment. I have had clients who didn't respond within 48 hours, but that didn't mean they weren't legit paying clients who required my help.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
8 of 28

@Gerry S wrote:

Take control.

Every now and then I have clients coming back months after my proposal. Sometimes because their project was delayed, sometimes because they were the other translator they chose screwed the job. Or because they have other needs.

Additionally, if you withdraw your proposal, you won't get your connects back, thus I don't see the need for this.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
9 of 28

Connects are cheap if not free depending on your plan. Any other form of 'advertising' would cost you considerablely more .

Look at it like this ....

Do you make a purchase every single time you walk into a store?  Do you 'shop around' when comparing quality and price? 

It isn't often that you find the Perfect Something you Must Have right this minute. 

Why should potential clients be any different?

Highlighted
Cristina G Member Since: Feb 4, 2016
10 of 28

I agree with you Karin. I think that if we bid in a project that later is cancelled or is not awarded to anyone, our Connects should be returned. We should request UPWORK to do something about it. We should be working instead of taking time doing research in every client. I agree with you, it is a problem and Upwork should do something about it. Also, I feel that if all freelancers would request solutions to this problem, Upwork would do something about it because I always find Freelancers giving nice advice, which is great, but we need real solutions.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS