Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jobs never awarded

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
11 of 28

@Cristina G wrote:

I agree with you Karin. I think that if we bid in a project that later is cancelled or is not awarded to anyone, our Connects should be returned. We should request UPWORK to do something about it. We should be working instead of taking time doing research in every client. I agree with you, it is a problem and Upwork should do something about it. Also, I feel that if all freelancers would request solutions to this problem, Upwork would do something about it because I always find Freelancers giving nice advice, which is great, but we need real solutions.

What did you do in a Brick and Mortar situation? What happened when they didn't hire you?  Did you tell them you want your gas money or bus money refunded to you because they wasted your time?

If you're not throwing around your connects wildly you won't have to worry about getting them back because you'll still have some left before the new month renewal.

These days, people invite me to their jobs. Sure, we're not always a good fit, but sometimes we are, and I don't use connects in this situation. Last month I had 40 connects left.  

I'm not the busiest freelancer here and I haven't brought in tons of cash, but I use my connects wisely and don't apply to jobs out of my skills and interest range. 

While you're waiting for Upwork to 'do something' about this horrifyingly unjust situation Smiley Wink , just apply to jobs where you think you'll have a good chance to score. If you don't get the job, it's just the way things go sometimes. Smiley Wink 

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
12 of 28

Hi Cristina,

To clarify, if a job is cancelled without hiring the Connects are returned to freelancers who applied.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
13 of 28

As Vlad wrote:

Canceled Jobs = connect returned.  The potential buyer must actually CANCEL the job. It will be marked as such and a reason given.

Unawarded Jobs = connects not returned.  See B&M references for reasoning.

There is a huge difference.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Stephen R Member Since: Jun 19, 2015
14 of 28

Great point Wendy.

I have job proposals dating back to 3 months ago.

Can i just get me connects back?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
15 of 28

Stephen,

I think Wendy was simply clarifying Upwork's position on connects. They only get returned if the client cancels the job offer or if Upwork delists the job. This is not likely to change. The answer is to use your connects sparingly. You should bid, not only on the jobs you know you can do, but on the jobs you want to do.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
16 of 28

@Nichola L wrote:

Stephen,

I think Wendy was simply clarifying Upwork's position on connects. They only get returned if the client cancels the job offer or if Upwork delists the job. This is not likely to change. The answer is to use your connects sparingly. You should bid, not only on the jobs you know you can do, but on the jobs you want to do.

What if there is more than one such jobs in a day, through whole month? I should bite my nails watching opportunity goes away, while I applied to exactly those jobs that will never get awarded to anyone? 

Mehmet U Member Since: Feb 14, 2016
17 of 28

Wendy,

I agree with you.  However, in order to prevent wasting of connects on SPAM postings, such as other freelancers trying to get bid samples, people simply price shopping or people not serious about their jobs, Upwork should consider clients award rate even if the case is "Unawarded"

Especially, if the client has just signed up and does not have a verified payment method.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Joseph C Member Since: Jan 22, 2016
18 of 28

Vladimir.

Are connects restored related to this message?

"Declined by client: All positions filled"

Does this mean the client hired outside of Upwork?  Otherwise, it would seem that the message would ne "Hired another freelancer".

If so, is that not the same as a Cancelled Job?

Joe

Joseph M. C. ,P.C., CPA/ABV
Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
19 of 28

Hi Joseph,

Connects are not returned if the client declines the proposal for any reason.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Javier M Member Since: Sep 16, 2015
20 of 28

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS